Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Driver's Seat Belt Buckle Almost Unreachable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get in the driver's seat, the buckle (the female part of the attachment that's connected to the seat) is virtually unreachable. It is very low, and angled back at such an angle that it is very difficult to line up the male end of the buckle so that it will go in. The female attachment moves with the seat, so no amount of raising the seat, or moving it frontwards or backwards. helps.

I see aftermarket seat belt extenders, but before I invest in one of those: Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made to the buckle that will make it more easily accessible?

When I get in the driver's seat, the buckle (the female part of the attachment that's connected to the seat) is virtually unreachable. It is very low, and angled back at such an angle that it is very difficult to line up the male end of the buckle so that it will go in. The female attachment moves with the seat, so no amount of raising the seat, or moving it frontwards or backwards. helps.

I see aftermarket seat belt extenders, but before I invest in one of those: Is there some sort of adjustment that can be made to the buckle that will make it more easily accessible?

Same problem on my MS. I installed a seat belt extender. Worked great, until...the easy entry update. Easy entry looks for the belt to be unlatched AT the female latch...not at the extender. So, if you want this feature (at least on the MS refresh), an extender is not an option. There may be another work-around, but nothing that I'm aware of.

An additional problem for the front passenger seat belt is that you'll get a (subtle) warning on the main display when there is no passenger seated.

And... these "marginal quality" extenders may fail when you need them in a severe impact. And if they do, and there are injuries, it could affect your insurance claim...not to mention your life.

• Helpful
Reactions: vandacca
Same problem on my MS. I installed a seat belt extender. Worked great, until...the easy entry update. Easy entry looks for the belt to be unlatched AT the female latch...not at the extender. So, if you want this feature (at least on the MS refresh), an extender is not an option. There may be another work-around, but nothing that I'm aware of.

An additional problem for the front passenger seat belt is that you'll get a (subtle) warning on the main display when there is no passenger seated.

And... these "marginal quality" extenders may fail when you need them in a severe impact. And if they do, and there are injuries, it could affect your insurance claim...not to mention your life.

Thanks - those are factors I sure hadn't thought about. I got used to Easy Entry in about 10 seconds - would hat to give that up.

@JenkinsEar -- I'm trying to understand. When I buckle my seatbelt in the X, my right hand grabs the mating buckle, I draw the seatbelt across, & I click it into the receiving portion. I never try to grab the receiving portion. Maybe yours is in the wrong position?

What you're describing is what I'd like to be able to do. But the top of my receiving portion is not "level" (i.e., parallel to floor of car, let's say) - it's angled back somewhat where the rear portion of the receiver is just a bit lower than the front. Hence the male portion of the buckle needs to be angled accordingly, and that's difficult for me to do with one hand, while extending the belt so the that the M and F parts reach. All that time I'm grabbing the belt with my left hand to make sure it doesn't retract.

Does that make any more sense?

What you're describing is what I'd like to be able to do. But the top of my receiving portion is not "level" (i.e., parallel to floor of car, let's say) - it's angled back somewhat where the rear portion of the receiver is just a bit lower than the front. Hence the male portion of the buckle needs to be angled accordingly, and that's difficult for me to do with one hand, while extending the belt so the that the M and F parts reach. All that time I'm grabbing the belt with my left hand to make sure it doesn't retract.

I'd ask your service center to reposition it. You shouldn't need to get an extender & it shouldn't be difficult.

I'd be frustrated every time I got in the car to drive.

Reactions: mongo

As said above, sounds like it is mispositioned. Typically, these things are attached with one bolt. If the angle was off when the bolt was tightened, it will point the wrong way. It should be aligned with the direction it is in when in use, otherwise there is extra play/ slack to take up in a crash.

See also: page 18ish of the X owner's manual (available on Tesla.com).

... I'd be frustrated every time I got in the car to drive.

Yes! Cursing often ensues. It's off to SC this week - hope they can shift the mounting around somewhat. To my mind, it needs to be angled slightly forward - when you pull the retractable part of the buckle across your lap, your right hand just kind of naturally holds the male part of the buckle angled slightly that direction.

@JenkinsEar

Here's a photo of mine. It's a little dark, but you should be able to compare it to yours. (ignore the foam stuffed between seat and console, I don't like to have stuff fall down there.)

IMG_4058.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
@JenkinsEar

Here's a photo of mine. It's a little dark, but you should be able to compare it to yours. (ignore the foam stuffed between seat and console, I don't like to have stuff fall down there.)

View attachment 274775
Perfect! Note how it's angled somewhat forward. Mine is angled somewhat REARward. I bet the SC can reinstall it in a flash. I hope.

Thanks!

Reactions: mongo and bonnie