Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Extended Service Agreement (ESA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I get close to 50k miles I'm struggling with the decision to purchase the 4-year ESA. We plan to keep the MX for many years, so the decision is one of the value of the ESA.

My question is that I have read on the forum that even with the ESA, there is a $200 deductible per failed component, in addition to the cost of the ESA ($5300 for new MX for 4 years). But when I go through all the informational links on my online account involving the ESA purchase, this $200 deductible is not mentioned anywhere, just the plan price. If this deductible exists, does anyone have a link they can point me to? On top of a $5300 plan price, a per-component deductible makes a significant difference.

Thanks.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
I think it's worth getting because...

Acceleration shutter (frequent replacement of half shafts)
Falcon Wing Doors and Motorized Front Doors (sensor malfunctions, motor malfunctions, etc.,)
2nd Row Seat Motors
Touchscreen
HVAC

Any one of the above could be significant amount to fix or replace out of warranty

Reactions: K3Man and Peteski
just had my Model X serviced for the 1st year and they found a problem with the roof spine applique sensor and replaced it under warranty. not sure how much that would have cost though honestly... But as the car ages, the moving parts will probably be problematic like the falcon doors and electronics\sensors. Just my thought. Of course you can always buy a new one by trading it in so you get a whole new warranty if you feel that way... I'm planning to keep mine for at least 8-10 years.

What year is your X? We’ve been thinking of the ESA, or getting something new. Early when we first got out X, the FWD arm and sensor had to be replaced. Basically every component for one door and the middle spine components. I asked to look at the bill and it was over 8K. But things haven’t gone wrong since.

Falcon Wing Doors and Motorized Front Doors (sensor malfunctions, motor malfunctions, etc.,)
2nd Row Seat Motors
Touchscreen
HVAC

Any one of the above could be significant amount to fix or replace out of warranty

Hey @Solarman004, I've got an X 90D, with VIN in the lower 30K range, and I totally agree with @commasign here. I don't have the time to do a thorough search at the moment, but in other threads some folks have mentioned that a new car would show any underlying major/costly defects within the first few months (maximum first year) of ownership. With my X, this hasn't been the case. Although our X hasn't had any "major" issues (not sure how that's defined), we have had issue beyond the first year of ownership that have needed to be addressed (falcon wing door, and middle and third row seat related).

Up to now, our plan has been to purchase the ESA and keep our X for 8 years/100,000 miles.

What throws a monkey wrench into this calculus however is the fact that our AP2-hardware outfitted X has not been eligible for some of the recent software updates (center camera recording, sentry mode). Not having these functions by themselves is not an issue for me. Autopilot on HW2 not having reached parity with autopilot on HW1 however, is a major disappointment, and if Tesla is producing updates that solely benefit HW2.5 and above, well then that's something that may prompt me to trade up prior to my 4 year / 50K is up. I just hope I don't get too hosed by Tesla on the trade-in value; I absolutely love my X, and happily bought it regardless of having felt it was overpriced, because I support Tesla's mission, and I love the X's driving experience. And I had become smitten by Tesla's full self-driving videos (link 1, link 2).

Reactions: Solarman004
I would get the ESA for peace of mind. It's insurance at the end of the day. You could choose to self-insure by putting the $5K in a pot and see how it works out. But one major fault in 4 years would likely eat that pot up straight away.

But personally I don't view the MX as a good candidate for long term ownership. It's too complicated, has a poor objective reputation for reliability and customer service is inconsistent. I love the car and mine has been reliable over the first year of ownership but I'd rather replace it with a new one after 4 years. The other driver for me is that both EV technology and Tesla themselves are still on a pretty steep learning curve and will hopefully produce significantly better and more reliable cars in the future. For me they are currently at a point on the curve where I'm happy to dip my toe in the water with relatively short term ownership, but not long term even with an extended warranty.

Reactions: DiamondHands

2nd Row Seat Motors
Touchscreen
HVAC

I have the same worries, but Tesloop's experience is quite reassuring. Their Xs have needed little attention to the above despite ALOT of use.

Tesloop's High Mileage Teslas

Hey @Solarman004, I've got an X 90D, with VIN in the lower 30K range, and I totally agree with @commasign here. I don't have the time to do a thorough search at the moment, but in other threads some folks have mentioned that a new car would show any underlying major/costly defects within the first few months (maximum first year) of ownership. With my X, this hasn't been the case. Although our X hasn't had any "major" issues (not sure how that's defined), we have had issue beyond the first year of ownership that have needed to be addressed (falcon wing door, and middle and third row seat related).

Up to now, our plan has been to purchase the ESA and keep our X for 8 years/100,000 miles.

What throws a monkey wrench into this calculus however is the fact that our AP2-hardware outfitted X has not been eligible for some of the recent software updates (center camera recording, sentry mode). Not having these functions by themselves is not an issue for me. Autopilot on HW2 not having reached parity with autopilot on HW1 however, is a major disappointment, and if Tesla is producing updates that solely benefit HW2.5 and above, well then that's something that may prompt me to trade up prior to my 4 year / 50K is up. I just hope I don't get too hosed by Tesla on the trade-in value; I absolutely love my X, and happily bought it regardless of having felt it was overpriced, because I support Tesla's mission, and I love the X's driving experience. And I had become smitten by Tesla's full self-driving videos (link 1, link 2).

The only thing you are lacking for the dash cam and sentry is a computer board upgrade. It would be cheaper to purchase FSD if you still love your X. We know that HW 2.5 is not enough for FSD, so by purchasing FSD they will have to upgrade your board to HW 3 which will bring you up to speed with the latest cars minus the interior rearview cam. imo

The only thing you are lacking for the dash cam and sentry is a computer board upgrade. It would be cheaper to purchase FSD if you still love your X. We know that HW 2.5 is not enough for FSD, so by purchasing FSD they will have to upgrade your board to HW 3 which will bring you up to speed with the latest cars minus the interior rearview cam. imo
Thanks for adding that- it’s a very important point that I forgot to delve into.

Thanks for adding that- it’s a very important point that I forgot to delve into.
However, the caveat is they aren't likely to upgrade you to HW3 just because you purchase FSD. It will probably also be necessary for an FSD feature that requires the newer hardware to be released before you are upgraded. There might be some wiggle room here if you complain about the features you can't get that aren't FSD related, but I wouldn't count on it.

That is right mx. I forgot to add, a FSD feature would have to come out before they would upgrade you. I'm betting they will upgrade you, since that is what you paid for. Tesla wants to do the right thing, but you may have to press a little since there is some communication gaps.