TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MX FWD Opens While Away

Discussion in 'Model X' started by BigMskiman, May 25, 2016.

1. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Twice, once while in the house and once while in Starbucks, my driver side FWD door opened while unattended. Windows were open slightly, and dog was inside while at Starbucks incident, but I don't suspect any wise guys pushing the door handle (or the dog, he's constrained to back area).

Has anybody also seen this?

2. loganintx

loganintx Member

either someone pressed the handle or the key fob in your pocket got clicked.

3. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Probably, but it takes two pushes of the button, so that's hard to do in a coat pocket even if I try. I'll be more careful for sure

4. loganintx

loganintx Member

I would think so too but I've seen more than one person say they opened their FWD by butt dialing or pocket dialing the fob. I'm hoping to find out in June just how hard or easy it is to do this.

• Helpful x 1
  5. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I agree. I have a real hard time getting my FWD to open on the first set of clicks using the FOB. I cannot fathom how this happens in the pocket.

But it reminds me of this:

6. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

I opened one of my falcon doors from my pocket, but they were jeans pockets and I had one knee up on a second row seat loading my son in his middle seat car seat. Therefore there was a good bit of pressure on the fob so I realized right away what had happened.

I'll probably get some sort of fob pocket regardless, but with normal usage I'm not too worried about it. According to the service center the range is quite lengthy so you do need to watch out even if you aren't right by the car.

7. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

I have had it happen. Whatever in my pocket that hit the keyfob button, hit it twice. It IS a big button

8. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

For this reason, I'd love to see the car notify the smart phone app about doors or windows opening. This needs to be a mode that gets turned on/off, otherwise you'd get lots of notifications. Bur I'd like to know if I left my window open or the auto-closing door didn't close after I walked away. This would be great for the trunk & frunk too

9. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Member

It happened once to me, but I don't know why. Maybe pocket pressure tho I was sitting in a chair about 50 ft away.

10. Keith

Keith Member

This has absolutely happened to me twice!!

One time it was raining out and luckily there wasn't much wind so nothing inside got wet (I knew the falcon wings were good for something!) and the second time it was a similar situation.

Kind of scary when you go outside and see the door wide open like that, but I just assumed it was accidental presses while the fob was in my pants pocket so now I try to keep it in a jacket pocket or somewhere not so tight.

11. Keith

Keith Member

It would be GREAT if you could be notified by the app of an open door when you go out of fob range. Totally do-able too! The car knows when a door is open, and the car knows when no fob is nearby..

They could put the option right in here.

image.png

Tesla, make it happen!

• Like x 4
  12. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

Let's ask for a live status view of the doors and windows in the app.

• Like x 1
  13. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Agree with all. Regardless of root cause, Tesla app. should notify/vibrate, show status view, and Remote S watch app. ought also to notify with a wrist vibration etc. If I walk away w/o locking with my dog in the car and windows open, a person (with a press), or fob mishap, could open a FWD, but at least then I would know about it.