Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find your claim that the ghosting is getting worse very interesting. I would have expected that the glass to remain stable after delivery, and if that is the case, then the ghosting may be worse because you're more focused on it.

If it is indeed getting worse in an unbiased way, then that would seem to indicate that the layers of glass/plastic are shifting relative to each other (either transversely or perpendicularly), which I find interesting if that is the case.

Anyway, it sounds like Tesla engineers are finally admitting that it's a problem and working on it. I expect that a solution is 3-6 months away.
I have no problem admitting the appearance of worsening may be an optical illusion due to something else. But overall, my ghosting is awful. Just plain awful.

I didn't notice that ghosting for the first few weeks. One night I was driving back from about 200km away, and was a bit tired when I noticed me. It woke me up, as I found myself mesmerized by it. Then it just gave me a headache.

I find it's different if I raise my seat up a bit higher and less noticeable, but it's definitely not going away.

I have no problem admitting the appearance of worsening may be an optical illusion due to something else. But overall, my ghosting is awful. Just plain awful.
If the ghosting is that bad, then it may be beneficial to get it swapped out now. Odds are, you'll get a windshield with milder ghosting.

However, if you can wait for Tesla and their supplier to figure this out, fix the line and begin shipping new (near flawless) windscreens, then you would only need to get it swapped once for a near perfect one.

Hey guys, sorry I've been away from TMC for a long time. I've been very busy with work. I have also since had a 3M film put on as well as cQuartz Finest. My MX looks sexy as hell and definitely fits the bill of her name.. "SexXxy"

Anyways, the SC had my MX for 2+ weeks, while I had a loaner MS P90DL. As fun as that sounds, it's not. They put a limiter on their loaners. I couldn't go faster than 128km/h and I couldn't set autopilot higher than 119km/h. It was quite frustrating, to say the least. Plus it's no MX which is so much roomier!

I went in 14 issues.... most seem to have been corrected, while others not so much. I got back to the SC on October 6th.

1. False Obstacles with FWDs (both). Fixed! No issues anymore!

2. Concern: Customer states: Rattle coming from passenger foot-well while driving - FIXED.
Removed door panel. Insulated door clips. Refit door panel and require a road test.
Performed a pillar creak update.
(although I never reported this as being a problem! In fact, the rattle was coming from somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd rows on the passenger side, There is an even louder rattle (sounds like cans or glass shaking from the Driver side. (I sent Tesla sound clips, they will address it next month for me).

3. Issues with summon not connecting. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. I haven't had any issues since.

4. My hood was misaligned. Too high on one side. They fixed it. Looks great!

5. Plastic wheel arch trim on passenger rear coming away. They found it was cracked. Ordered a new piece and replaced. No issues. Looks perfect now.

6. Driver window does not close properly causing excessive wind noise.
They claimed to have done recalibration and fixed this issue. The issue has gotten MUCH WORSE. I have video and sound clips for them now. If it's even a little windy outside, it looks my driver window is bowing at the bottom front part, therefore allowing a lot of wind in. It sounds horrid! (They will address next month).

7. Liftgate, near latch is getting worn down. SC says this is normal wear and tear (even after only 1 month!) - nothing done to correct it.

8. Driver door does not always present when approached with key. Doors also do not open when user input is given. They couldn't replicae the issue. Still happens sometimes. But I can "live with it." I don't use the auto presenting door feature anyways, I found it to be an inconvenience as the door opens when I get even remotely close to the car. Even if I just want to go into the trunk, the door presents itself. Pretty useless feature, I think. Door still doesn't always completely open though, when I use my FOB.

9. Falcon wing door making rattle, sounds like rattle cans even on smooth roads.
SC couldn't replicate this. So nothing has been done. I have since sent them sound clips and they will address it next month at my SC appointment. They told me not to worry, they will find the issue.

10. GPS is very laggy. Often I will have turned already before it tells me to turn or if I make a bad turn, it takes a long time to recalculate. SC claims they couldn't reproduce. It has been like this since day 1 and continues to do so. I just have to be more aware of my future turns for now. I find my LTE service is very mediocre at best.

11. Customer states that windshield has distortion while driving at night. Driver able to see more than one headlights when driving to on coming traffic - GHOSTING.
Textbook answer: Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have Experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available. NOT FIXED.

12. A/C very loud - "Jet engine sounding" - SC says this is normal. Nothing done. (I didn't think there was anything that wrong with it, someone else on TMC told me to report it, so they could replace a few of the older parts).

13. I asked if it was possible to make my windshield wipers wipe faster. I was told originally that yes, this was an easy fix and I wasn't the first person to ask to have it done. Since getting back my MX they claim that they are opearating as intended and nothing can be done at this time. Does anyone else seem to have this issue? I know I have discussed this at length on the MX group on facebook - so I'm not the only one. I also have noticed that my windshield wipers actually don't touch the windshield on the driver side and my spray nozzles spray the fluid either over the car, or into my driver window if it's open. I will have this looked at next month when my MX goes back to SC.

14. Fix Captcha error with Slacker - did NOT resolve. I had to go back twice since then to get it resolved. It has since been resolved.

They also inspected my AC Condenser Pipes. They said repositioning was not required at this time and everything looked perfectly installed.

I had some paint missing from inside my hood, I even pointed it out. They had some other area of my hood repainted, and wondered how the hell I could see something so small and trivial. I didn't. But they fixed that anyways. I pointed out that they didn't fix what I had originally asked them to fix. Ended up realizing it was some sort of film and they were able to buff it out.

--

I will be back at the SC for my appointment the beginning of October. They will be looking into the rattle coming from between the 2nd row and 3rd row - driver's side (sound clips to verify), my driver window (sound clips and video), windshield wiper nozzles, windshield wiper calibration (not touching the windshield), Passenger side sensors (I was stopped, on the side of the road and my sensors kept changing from sensing an obstcle to changing the distance and then nothing.. over and over again. I was in hill hold mode. I was not moving.

(Again sorry I've been MIA for a while... I missed you guys @ TMC! :)

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Really.

While writing this post I was using my SC invoice. They said it's normal.

I've thought about it and think about an ICE car, the AC isn't that loud only because the engine is making noise. But since our cars are silent, the AC seems louder than it actually is, so maybe it's not abnormal after all.

Does that make sense? It makes sense to me.

I think one issue is that, without some standard form of measuring sound (I don't think the phone decibel meter apps are even that great), we can't compare over the forum. One person's loud is another person's acceptable.

Can you hear it from across the entire parking lot? When your SO pulls into your garage, can you be anywhere in the house and think that a helicopter has just landed in the garage? More importantly, does it do this on most AC settings and in most environmental conditions (70 degrees outside, for instance?) Those are the best ways I can describe the severity of my initial symptoms. Now that it's been fixed, in general use it's slightly louder than the S. On full blast after sitting in the sun on a 100 degree day, I'm willing to bet it ramps up to at least close to that previous level. The difference is that it'll come back down instead of screaming indefinitely.

Reactions: SSD420