Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anybody know yet whether the HPWC for the MX is the same as that currently being sold for the MS?

I'll be installing one at my home plus one other location, and the electricians are there right now...

You can safely assume that the current HPWC will be compatible with the Model X. There are unconfirmed rumors about a newer HPWC and/or UMC that will ship around the same time as the Model X launch. Since you already have the current HPWC in hand, this doesn't matter to you.

ie. the new HPWC or UMC will still be forward and backward compatible with the Model X and Model S, as will the older ones.

For what it's worth, Tesla has been recommending that people who have Model X's hold off on purchasing charging options until they order their car. I asked whether I should purchase another HPWC to install and was advised to order with the car.

While existing HPWC's and UMC's are likely to be compatible, there may be new options. I suggest waiting, if the box isn't in your garage already.

Does anybody know yet whether the HPWC for the MX is the same as that currently being sold for the MS?
I believe that there will be no change to the HPWC just because of the X launch. You seem to be thinking that there may be an "X HPWC". The X has the same charge port as the S and the same charging capability. It will be able to connect to any existing HPWC and charge.
For what it's worth, Tesla has been recommending that people who have Model X's hold off on purchasing charging options until they order their car.
Do you mean "people who have Model X reservations"?

Yes. I said I was upgrading my infrastructure and asked whether I should purchase an HPWC now, or wait. I was advised to wait because other options might be available by the time my X is ready.
Hmm...well that is interesting! But isn't it unlikely that the X will come with the capability to charge at over 20kW at home?
Let the speculation begin....

22KW at 240V would mean 91A, meaning a 115A rated circuit.
But if the Magic Seats mean only a single factory-installed charger is possible, (as goes another rumor) I think a 10KW charging limit on the X is even LESS likely.
Single, "X-tra Charger," I think.

Given the ready availability of the HPWC (unlike when Model S launched and it was still just a glimmer in Elon's eye) I would just wait until you've got more information. It should be a matter of a couple of weeks to get one installed at the most.

As others have pointed out, we still don't know what Model X's onboard charging capability will be and it's possible that a HPWC just isn't worth the $750 when a NEMA 14-50 is so cheap.

Given what @FlasherZ reported just up thread, I'm beginning to believe that this rumor may be accurate. And since there seems to be good evidence that the take rate on the Model S second onboard charger has been very low, perhaps Tesla decided that for the X they would provide as standard a "compromise" onboard charger of 15kW and not offer a higher powered option.
I'm sticking with the rumor I heard and reported here. 60A/15kW, no double charger option. No strong reason to believe it except that the employee seemed confident and implied firsthand knowledge.

So it's 3% reliable, if that. :redface:

For what it's worth, Tesla has been recommending that people who have Model X's hold off on purchasing charging options until they order their car. I asked whether I should purchase another HPWC to install and was advised to order with the car.

While existing HPWC's and UMC's are likely to be compatible, there may be new options. I suggest waiting, if the box isn't in your garage already.

Agree- we are holding off on reconfiguring the garage cabling based on these news (our current EV charges off a UMC on a 14-50 and I've reduced my own opinion that we may *need* anything faster. I haven't changed my mind that I'd *like* the fastest charging possible however)