TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

MX HPWC

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Strib, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Strib

Strib Member

Does anybody know yet whether the HPWC for the MX is the same as that currently being sold for the MS?

I'll be installing one at my home plus one other location, and the electricians are there right now...

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Supercharging is confirmed, therefore the chargeport must be the same as Model S (which makes sense); I think you can pretty safely extrapolate that to Model X being able to use the existing HPWC(s)

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

You can safely assume that the current HPWC will be compatible with the Model X. There are unconfirmed rumors about a newer HPWC and/or UMC that will ship around the same time as the Model X launch. Since you already have the current HPWC in hand, this doesn't matter to you.

ie. the new HPWC or UMC will still be forward and backward compatible with the Model X and Model S, as will the older ones.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

They will be the same, I promise you.

Edit: ok, to be pedantic- the current HPWCs will be fully compatible with the X.

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

For what it's worth, Tesla has been recommending that people who have Model X's hold off on purchasing charging options until they order their car. I asked whether I should purchase another HPWC to install and was advised to order with the car.

While existing HPWC's and UMC's are likely to be compatible, there may be new options. I suggest waiting, if the box isn't in your garage already.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I believe that there will be no change to the HPWC just because of the X launch. You seem to be thinking that there may be an "X HPWC". The X has the same charge port as the S and the same charging capability. It will be able to connect to any existing HPWC and charge.
    Do you mean "people who have Model X reservations"?

7. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

If you're getting Twin Chargers, I'd put in a 120A circuit and wire. 60A for single charger, unless you might add the second one in the future.

8. FlasherZ

Yes. I said I was upgrading my infrastructure and asked whether I should purchase an HPWC now, or wait. I was advised to wait because other options might be available by the time my X is ready.

9. ecarfan

At this point I don't think we know if the X will have the option of installing a second charger after delivery or if it will come with a rumored higher power charger than the standard single 10kW Model S charger.

10. ecarfan

Hmm...well that is interesting! But isn't it unlikely that the X will come with the capability to charge at over 20kW at home?
    Let the speculation begin....

11. FlasherZ

I tried to get more information, but there was nothing more to disclose. So I'm waiting until I learn more.

12. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

22KW at 240V would mean 91A, meaning a 115A rated circuit.
    But if the Magic Seats mean only a single factory-installed charger is possible, (as goes another rumor) I think a 10KW charging limit on the X is even LESS likely.
    Single, "X-tra Charger," I think.

13. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

I'm sticking with the rumor I heard and reported here. 60A/15kW, no double charger option. No strong reason to believe it except that the employee seemed confident and implied firsthand knowledge.

So it's 3% reliable, if that. :redface:

14. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

i wonder if the X hpwc has the ability to run current backwards and power the house from the car in the event of power failure :love:

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Given the ready availability of the HPWC (unlike when Model S launched and it was still just a glimmer in Elon's eye) I would just wait until you've got more information. It should be a matter of a couple of weeks to get one installed at the most.

As others have pointed out, we still don't know what Model X's onboard charging capability will be and it's possible that a HPWC just isn't worth the $750 when a NEMA 14-50 is so cheap.

16. ecarfan

Given what @FlasherZ reported just up thread, I'm beginning to believe that this rumor may be accurate. And since there seems to be good evidence that the take rate on the Model S second onboard charger has been very low, perhaps Tesla decided that for the X they would provide as standard a "compromise" onboard charger of 15kW and not offer a higher powered option.

17. EchoDelta

EchoDelta Member

Agree- we are holding off on reconfiguring the garage cabling based on these news (our current EV charges off a UMC on a 14-50 and I've reduced my own opinion that we may *need* anything faster. I haven't changed my mind that I'd *like* the fastest charging possible however)