Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX HW2 detects overpasses as a car and hard breaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

stefan.bc

I see dead headlights!
Jan 14, 2017
OR
Hi,

Recently on a road trip the car breaked hard in the middle of the highway just before an overpass, it also happen when I passed under some sort of metal structure used for signs.
We were lucky no car was behind us.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Hi,

Recently on a road trip the car breaked hard in the middle of the highway just before an overpass, it also happen when I passed under some sort of metal structure used for signs.

Haven't experienced the overpass situation yet but have experienced some indecision jerkiness while driving under a few traffic light arms.

Hi,

It seems like where you are driving is missing in the white-list. See https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgrading-autopilot-seeing-world-radar

Tesla indicate they would not start actually breaking for these not-visually confirmed radar obstacles until the white-list was 99.99% complete. Maybe not enough Tesla's driving around Oregon.

Reactions: Sather
I experienced this today driving on I 469 around Fort Wayne using auto steer and just before passing under the interstate sign on exit my car breaker hard and beeped for a second or two and started going again.

I have this happen pretty regularly on the freeways in and around Houston Texas. Sometimes it's just a quick slow down, sometimes it's a full emergency braking action. I never let TACC take me under certain over head signs if there's someone on my tail.

I had hoped for some improvement in 17.5.28 but no such luck. How hard can it be to exclude objects over 25 feet high?

I park on the 4th sub level of my condo garage and I get a Collision Alert on one, and only one, of the turns I make in the garage. The car apparently sees something I dont and my dash lights up. Im generally going about 5mph and I always try and stay in the middle of the driveway, but the car sees something on this one corner. There is a bright red car that parks in the nearest parking space and Ive wondered if the response is related to the color....kind of like a bull? I think I may be an AI beta tester without knowing it....:rolleyes:

I think I may be an AI beta tester without knowing it....:rolleyes:

Aren't we all beta testers? As far as I know AP1, which is what I have, is still "beta" isn't it? I almost bought a new Model S in December when I saw all those cameras mounted on the new cars, and saw "enhanced auto pilot" on the website. So glad I didn't! But I desperately want them to achieve full self driving capability soon. I'm waiting to see it work before I upgrade though...

Beta yes, but you'd think when they release AP2 it should be somewhat "complete", especially showing the autonomous demo. Nope, started from scratch again as alpha/beta.

Definitely a good idea to wait for the capabilities come out before upgrading to AP2 for existing AP1 owners if one doesn't need a replacement immediately. It's still far away at this rate.

Yes mine did the same thing, took a hard brake I was lucky car behind me was paying attention and braked in time
Mo!

First - thanks for using the proper 'brake' (not break). This is a pet peeve of mine. Second - you ARE lucky the person behind you was paying attention and able to react in time. This is extremely dangerous, and the danger extends far beyond the immediate car behind you. The impact of this sudden un-needed braking extends many many car lengths behind you, and for a short period of time actually gets worse for cars further back than immediately behind you. I wonder how many accidents were caused behind Teslas that should be attributed to AP but never will be.

Tesla indicate they would not start actually breaking for these not-visually confirmed radar obstacles until the white-list was 99.99% complete. Maybe not enough Tesla's driving around Oregon.

It's somewhat ironic that AP2.0 drivers are completing the white list at a greater cost and expense (not to mention frustration) for Model 3 buyers who will step into a functioning AP2.0 vehicle, most without even knowing what it took to get there.

In Japan AP2 hasn't been deployed yet but we can use TACC with my HW2 model X. The braking issue is happening every day in every road I drive in Tokyo. We have many overhead signs, over and under passes, underground highway interchanges and huge traffic signs everywhere. I have driven AP1 loaner and it worked just fine. I can reproduce the problem 100 times a day if I wish.

I'm finding with 17.7.2 that it's less sensitive to overhead signs. It reacts to fewer of them and when it does react it's less violent. I've haven't had it beep and brake hard in a while now.

Having a vehicle close enough in front of me that TACC can see it also seems to help.