Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mx is too fast for me... dangerously fun?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are also half dozen at 2.7.

So to be fair let’s go with Teslas numbers. Certainly Tesla tests their own cars in the exact same way with exact same conditions. Only difference is Tesla likes showing a bigger gap in acceleration so all their performance models get the rollout subtracted out.

If you take Teslas number of 2.5 add back the rollout you get 2.7/2.8sec. That is exactly 1 sec faster than the LR at 3.8 sec.

Also Teslas claim of MSP of 1.99sec cannot be replicated by anyone. I have watched a ton of videos. Most are getting around 2.1/2.2 sec.

First, if you take Tesla's numbers of 3.8 vs 2.5, both are claimed with the 1 foot rollout, it's still 1.3 seconds.

Where are your links showing MXPs getting only 2.7 to 2.8 seconds to 60?

I would love too but there are almost none. The stats I posted are people who posted a stat but did not post videos.

The Model S LR does have a few videos and you can compare that to the previous Ludicrous versions. What we see in those is a slow start (0-20) but after that it catches right up to the Ludicrous. Mid and top end is very strong in the LR - faster than the older Ludicrous versions.

There are literally 1/2 dozen videos on youtube showing 2.3 seconds over and over yet you can't post a single video of an MXP taking as long as 2.7 seconds with the 1 foot subtracted? Why? Because it doesn't exist.

BTW, that vehicle virgins run at 2.3 seconds was with only 65% charge. You have to run an MXP down to 20% before the 0-60 climbs to 2.6 seconds just because it's traction limited and can't use all the power until after 60 mph.

First, if you take Tesla's numbers of 3.8 vs 2.5, both are claimed with the 1 foot rollout, it's still 1.3 seconds.

Read this carefully and notice the * next to the Plaid. Then read below what * means.

Screen Shot 2023-04-23 at 1.22.34 PM.png

If you subtract rollout on the LR you would get 3.5sec. The difference is right around 1.0 seconds, not 1.3 sec as it appears at first.

I'm not arguing that many people have not gotten 2.3 seconds. They certainly have. My point is Tesla has tested both Model Xs under the same conditions and got 2.5 for Plaid with rollout subtracted, and 3.8 for LR with rollout added. That in my opinion is the fairest comparison since we don't really have videos of the Model X LR at the drag strip.

One guy claims he got a 3.4sec on the MX LR but no video. See here.
Dragy times for Plaid and LR

So rather than relying on differing conditions with different people's tests, I would suggest using Tesla's own numbers. By those numbers the difference is 1.0 seconds.

Not sure why this bothers you so much. No one is saying the LR is as fast as the Plaid. It's clearly not. All I am doing is making the point is the LR is NOT slow like you claim. It's actually pretty fast which clearly you don't like me saying. Not sure why.

Reactions: oldsport
Read this carefully and notice the * next to the Plaid. Then read below what * means.

View attachment 931105

If you subtract rollout on the LR you would get 3.5sec. The difference is right around 1.0 seconds, not 1.3 sec as it appears at first.

I'm not arguing that many people have not gotten 2.3 seconds. They certainly have. My point is Tesla has tested both Model Xs under the same conditions and got 2.5 for Plaid with rollout subtracted, and 3.8 for LR with rollout added. That in my opinion is the fairest comparison since we don't really have videos of the Model X LR at the drag strip.

One guy claims he got a 3.4sec on the MX LR but no video. See here.
Dragy times for Plaid and LR

So rather than relying on differing conditions with different people's tests, I would suggest using Tesla's own numbers. By those numbers the difference is 1.0 seconds.

Not sure why this bothers you so much. No one is saying the LR is as fast as the Plaid. It's clearly not. All I am doing is making the point is the LR is NOT slow like you claim. It's actually pretty fast which clearly you don't like me saying. Not sure why.
Except that we've already established that the MXP's 0-60 is faster than Tesla's claimed 2.5 seconds with the 1 foot rollout. I posted multiple links proving that. You posted no links showing MXLR results so I will do so:

Dragy 0-60 without 1 foot subtracted: 3.8
With 1 foot subtracted 3.61

With this, I'll back pedal and claim that difference is 1.25 seconds in reality rather than 1.3 seconds since the 2.3 seconds in the other examples was rounded down.

Except that we've already established that the MXP's 0-60 is faster than Tesla's claimed 2.5 seconds with the 1 foot rollout. I posted multiple links proving that. You posted no links showing MXLR results so I will do so:

Dragy 0-60 without 1 foot subtracted: 3.8
With 1 foot subtracted 3.61

With this, I'll back pedal and claim that difference is 1.25 seconds in reality rather than 1.3 seconds since the 2.3 seconds in the other examples was rounded down.
Nope not a fair comparison again. How do you know that the average MXLR is not 3.5 sec and 3.3 with rollout subtracted? I just pointed you to a guy who got 3.4 sec and not sure if that is with or without rollout. You don’t because there are barely any videos or data.

In this link you posted note that the guy did not even use launch mode, cheetah stance. He thinks he would have gotten better. Also note that the MX Plaid without launch mode/cheetah is 3 sec. I just saw a video of this the other day. I’ll find it.

I’m sure 10 years ago no one would have thought cars with 0-60 of 5 seconds is kinda slow.

As battery tech improves it means more energy in smaller amount of weight/space and cheaper costs. Already even the slowest Teslas are in the 4 sec range.
I get that performance wise everything is improving, but whether its ICE or EV, that kind of speed has always been way too expensive to be ‘the norm’. To me the norm is most cars you see in a Costco parking lot, not Plaids, Lucids., and ICE supercars.

I get that performance wise everything is improving, but whether its ICE or EV, that kind of speed has always been way too expensive to be ‘the norm’. To me the norm is most cars you see in a Costco parking lot, not Plaids, Lucids., and ICE supercars.
I get what you’re saying but also know that your average sedan today can easily match/beat sports cars of 10-20 years ago in straight line (and even in handling in some cases).

Right now a M3LR 0-60 is in the 4 sec range for in the mid to high $40k range. Now imagine if batteries got twice as powerful and twice as cheap. Then you could have a car with 0-60 in 4 sec for like $25-30k. Cars in the $50-60k would be plaid performance.

Nope not a fair comparison again. How do you know that the average MXLR is not 3.5 sec and 3.3 with rollout subtracted? I just pointed you to a guy who got 3.4 sec and not sure if that is with or without rollout. You don’t because there are barely any videos or data.

In this link you posted note that the guy did not even use launch mode, cheetah stance. He thinks he would have gotten better. Also note that the MX Plaid without launch mode/cheetah is 3 sec. I just saw a video of this the other day. I’ll find it.

Pointing out a "guy" doesn't count unless they post their screenshot, video, or something. The fastest I've seen any evidence of an MXLR doing 0-60 is 3.61 with the 1 foot subtracted. Until I see a video or screenshot from a credible account, I'm going to use that number. We can agree to disagree.

Launch mode in the MXLR doesn't make a difference. The reason it makes a tiny difference on the plaid is that it makes so much power at launch that power is pulled unless you use cheetah stance otherwise it will destroy the cv joints due to the increased joint angle.

Pointing out a "guy" doesn't count unless they post their screenshot, video, or something. The fastest I've seen any evidence of an MXLR doing 0-60 is 3.61 with the 1 foot subtracted. Until I see a video or screenshot from a credible account, I'm going to use that number. We can agree to disagree.

Launch mode in the MXLR doesn't make a difference. The reason it makes a tiny difference on the plaid is that it makes so much power at launch that power is pulled unless you use cheetah stance otherwise it will destroy the cv joints due to the increased joint angle.
Let’s think about this for just a second. Do you think Tesla underrated the Plaid specs on purpose and rated the LR specs much better?

Would Tesla not want to post the absolute best numbers for the Plaid? After all it’s their top performance car and why should they sandbag those numbers?

The fact that they are subtracting the rollout on ONLY the Plaid version shows you their intention. They want to post the absolute best numbers for the Plaid.

Tesla cares less about the LR 0-60 and hence they do not subtract the rollout.

Just think for a second. What you are suggesting is Tesla is under-rated their top performance car on purpose. Just why would they do that?

The point I am making is they were tested in the same way by Tesla. If the Plaid is under-rated then the LR sure is underrated as well.

Another point to note. The MSP is getting 2.1 sec. The MXP is getting 2.3 sec. The X is only .2 sec behind the S.

Now on the LR the S is at 3.1 sec while the X is at 3.8 sec. That’s a much bigger difference at .7 sec! By the same math shouldn’t the X be more like 3.3/3.4?

Anyways it doesn’t really matter. I’ve made my point. The one guy who tested the X LR didn’t exactly do the best run which he admitted. You say drag mode does not matter on LR. They why the hell is it even there? Just a fake mode?

I actually think the guy who got 3.4 on his X using Drag mode is probably on point. And that to me actually makes sense.

Let’s think about this for just a second. Do you think Tesla underrated the Plaid specs on purpose and rated the LR specs much better?

Would Tesla not want to post the absolute best numbers for the Plaid? After all it’s their top performance car and why should they sandbag those numbers?

The fact that they are subtracting the rollout on ONLY the Plaid version shows you their intention. They want to post the absolute best numbers for the Plaid.

Tesla cares less about the LR 0-60 and hence they do not subtract the rollout.

Just think for a second. What you are suggesting is Tesla is under-rated their top performance car on purpose. Just why would they do that?

The point I am making is they were tested in the same way by Tesla. If the Plaid is under-rated then the LR sure is underrated as well.

Another point to note. The MSP is getting 2.1 sec. The MXP is getting 2.3 sec. The X is only .2 sec behind the S.

Now on the LR the S is at 3.1 sec while the X is at 3.8 sec. That’s a much bigger difference at .7 sec! By the same math shouldn’t the X be more like 3.3/3.4?

Anyways it doesn’t really matter. I’ve made my point. The one guy who tested the X LR didn’t exactly do the best run which he admitted. You say drag mode does not matter on LR. They why the hell is it even there? Just a fake mode?

I actually think the guy who got 3.4 on his X using Drag mode is probably on point. And that to me actually makes sense.
Oh and one more thing. A lot of LR owners think the 0-30 is being software limited. It can be felt. At around 30, the power kicks in strong! The reason it’s probably being limited ismost likely is it might get within a 1/2 sec of the Plaid at which point spending $20k extra for the MSP v MSLR would not make sense.

Remember the Ludicrous MX and the current MXLR have the same hp and yet the ludicrous was getting 0-60 in 2.7 sec. There is no reason the LR should not be able to match that. I personally believe it can but then the Plaid won’t look so special even though it’s quite a bit faster than the old Ludicrous version.

And I’m sure what I just said here will piss you off 😉

Absolutely. Ever since the 691 debacle, Tesla has under promised and over delivered on their top performance model.

Also, the MXP pulls 876 kw at 90% and dragstrip ready vs the MSP at 820KW yet Tesla claims the same hp for both.

Absolutely. Ever since the 691 debacle, Tesla has under promised and over delivered on their top performance model.

Also, the MXP pulls 876 kw at 90% and dragstrip ready vs the MSP at 820KW yet Tesla claims the same hp for both.
Unless you have tested many samples of MSP and MXP you can’t make the claim that Tesla has given more power to the X. There could have been variations in the testing, the dynos and even the cars itself.

And if Tesla is indeed underrating their highest performance model then why would Tesla not do the same for all of their models? Why would Tesla make their less performance models look better and their high performance models look worse?

The best numbers to compare these cars (since we don’t have enough data for LR) are Teslas own numbers - because Tesla has tested and rated them in the exact same way.

My opinion: both the Plaid and LR are both underrated. If the Plaid is getting 2.3 then I would expect the LR to be in the 3.3-3.5 range. One person says they consistently get 3.4 using their dragy but did not post their result. I believe them since it makes sense.