Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Key Fob Battery - 2354 or 2032??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 MX that needs a new battery for one of my Key Fob. But a little confused as to the correct type to best use.

From the MX manual (Page 11) there are two batteries referred to
Insert the new battery (type CR2354) with the ‘+’ side facing up.
But later on the page it states: "Note: CR2032 batteries can be purchased through online retailers"

So which will be more better
The CR2354 has more juice, but is a bit bigger in Diameter & Height (Will it fit)
Is there possibly a typo in the Manual as to the proper battery type?

2354-vs-2032-png.623476

Model X 100D - June 2018 - EAP & FSD

Anyone ever try putting two CR2032's in instead of a single CR2354? Seems like they would fit and the voltage should stay at 3V. So hard to find CR2354's locally. Just a thought...

-m

If you put one on top of the other - the voltage to the FOB will be doubled - not so good

If you are having issues finding them, just search Amazon for CR2354 and several will show up.

Be careful of the Amazon ones - not all of them are genuine (or they are used/third party)... @invisik - you can try Batteries - Phone Repairs - Light Bulbs - Chargers - Batteries Plus Bulbs and order from them... I just ordered one today, $5.80 for pick up since there's one near me... Up in your area, the closest BatteriesPlus I see is in Fargo, so, not sure what part of MN you're in, but, you might be able to order online from them and have it shipped...

Anyone ever try putting two CR2032's in instead of a single CR2354? Seems like they would fit and the voltage should stay at 3V. So hard to find CR2354's locally. Just a thought...

-m
Tesla seems to list the 2032 for the S, 3 and Y, but the 2354 specifically for the X. I have an X. The 2032 is too thin and no, you can't stack 2 as you will end up with 6V....bad.

I found them on Amazon. Becareful, sellers will list other batteries under "2354" and be ambiguous about the size. They will also cut manufacturer cards apart so you don't get an expiry date. Buy from a seller that has at least a 4 star rating with lots of sales!