Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX LED Headlights, VERY disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just completed a 6,500 mile cross country journey in an older style Model S with the HID projector lights. They worked amazing, even on low beam they lit up the road very, very well. Yet not one time did I get a high beam flash from oncoming traffic, so that tells me the beam pattern is spot on. High beams are absolutely fantastic!

Yesterday I jumped out of the MS into a new MX P100D which obviously has the LED headlights. My first thought was "are these things on, or is that just the fog lights?" Of course, they were indeed on. On low beam I'd say they light up the road about as well as my '16 Ram with just the fog lights on. On high beam they are pretty much what the MS was on low beam, great for driving in traffic, but poorly lacking for deserted highway driving. In fact, the low beams are so poor I turned off the auto high beam and just drove with the high beams on the entire time. NOT ONE car flashed me, even on a busy two lane road. That tells me they certainly aren't functioning as a typical high beam should. My only other experience with all LED headlights was an Audi A6 that worked very, well. Except when it was snowing, the heaters that are supposed to keep the headlights warm and de-iced were malfunctioning or just not adequate.

Any other MX owners experience this when comparing to other high end vehicles with HID lights? I've owned several Mercedes, Audi, high end GM, etc. with HID lights that were ALL vastly superior to the MX lights. Is there some adjustment on these? I'm curious if others feel theirs are up to par with other high end HID then there is a problem with this car, if that's "just the way it is" then it's another Tesla fail, why go from fantastic HID's to poor performance LED? (I didn't see much range difference at all in the MS between night and day, maybe a few miles at most, so power draw isn't much concern)

Also, anybody know if these headlights have heaters in them to keep the snow / ice cleared off while driving?

Thanks!

I have only once had to think about the headlights because they mostly do their job. During my first snow storm, there was a light layer of snow built-up on the headlights which prevented any light from shining through (at night in a rural setting). I pulled over and cleared them (should have done it before setting off, but rarely needed to with my previous F150) and it was fine for the rest of the trip.

I think most headlights generate a lot of heat which keeps them cleared, but the LED lights don't have that side-effect. I haven't noticed any heating elements or heard of that feature, so I don't think they have heaters.

I mostly agree. We just spent a couple days in a rural area (very few street lights) for New Years with some friends and I could definitely use a bit more lumens from the headlights too. One evening a friend drove us in his F150 (I think) and I noticed his lights definitely lit up the night much better.

My BMW's LED is much better but it's also a $2000 option. However, I personally feel HID is better than LED because of the color temperature. Both BMW and Tesla LEDs color temperature is higher than HID, so it's more blueish. The blueish color does not light up fresh asphalt road (very black/dark) as well as yellowish light (HID).

I purposely cleaned off the lights a couple of times, so I know that wasn't the issue. It seems some are saying they are great, even one said better than his MS Hid's.... With the conflicting reports, I wonder if some of us truly do have something wrong with our headlights...

Reactions: Fiddler
I purposely cleaned off the lights a couple of times, so I know that wasn't the issue. It seems some are saying they are great, even one said better than his MS Hid's.... With the conflicting reports, I wonder if some of us truly do have something wrong with our headlights...
People are making statements about their X headlights based on their subjective impressions, not based on a measured data like lumens or beam pattern. That is why you are reading contradictory opinions.

Beam angle adjustment certainly could be a factor. Of course Tesla should be adjusting the headlights correctly on all their cars before they leave the factory. But with humans doing the adjustments, errors can occur.

So I just completed a 6,500 mile cross country journey in an older style Model S with the HID projector lights. They worked amazing, even on low beam they lit up the road very, very well. Yet not one time did I get a high beam flash from oncoming traffic, so that tells me the beam pattern is spot on. High beams are absolutely fantastic!

Yesterday I jumped out of the MS into a new MX P100D which obviously has the LED headlights. My first thought was "are these things on, or is that just the fog lights?" Of course, they were indeed on. On low beam I'd say they light up the road about as well as my '16 Ram with just the fog lights on. On high beam they are pretty much what the MS was on low beam, great for driving in traffic, but poorly lacking for deserted highway driving. In fact, the low beams are so poor I turned off the auto high beam and just drove with the high beams on the entire time. NOT ONE car flashed me, even on a busy two lane road. That tells me they certainly aren't functioning as a typical high beam should. My only other experience with all LED headlights was an Audi A6 that worked very, well. Except when it was snowing, the heaters that are supposed to keep the headlights warm and de-iced were malfunctioning or just not adequate.

Any other MX owners experience this when comparing to other high end vehicles with HID lights? I've owned several Mercedes, Audi, high end GM, etc. with HID lights that were ALL vastly superior to the MX lights. Is there some adjustment on these? I'm curious if others feel theirs are up to par with other high end HID then there is a problem with this car, if that's "just the way it is" then it's another Tesla fail, why go from fantastic HID's to poor performance LED? (I didn't see much range difference at all in the MS between night and day, maybe a few miles at most, so power draw isn't much concern)

Also, anybody know if these headlights have heaters in them to keep the snow / ice cleared off while driving?

Thanks!
Yet, there are many reports on MX headlights are extremely good, and light up the road very well. Unless there are scientific tests done, and compare to other SUVs. We can't really compare it based on "measurement" from human eyes or perception. IIHS.org (one of the two agencies in US that do crash tests) is the only reliable source that do scientific headlight testing. Unfortunately, MX isn't listed there yet.

Direct link to "luxury SUV" IIHS page. Headlight rating on the far right side.
Safety ratings

Details on how the test was conducted:
Headlight evaluation

Last edited:
I mostly agree. We just spent a couple days in a rural area (very few street lights) for New Years with some friends and I could definitely use a bit more lumens from the headlights too. One evening a friend drove us in his F150 (I think) and I noticed his lights definitely lit up the night much better.
I should also add that I have also been "flashed" a few times as others are obviously seeing my lights as bright enough for them to think they are the brights.

My new 12/27/16 XP100D with all options but towing has excellent headlights. I live in South Florida and often travel on asphalt roads with reflective lane paint in great condition. The headlights illuminate the lane paint perfectly and high-beams are extraordinary. I've previously owned a MB S550 with LED headlights, and currently own a GMC Yukon Denali XL, and '17 Audi Q7. I find the Model X's high beams noticeably brighter - perhaps because of the temperature being higher than HID. Very satisfied with Adaptive Headlight option.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture