Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX LED Headlights, VERY disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Under the cowling covering the top of the headlights is a plastic, Phillips head adjustment screw. Remove the center cover behind the frunk portion which just snaps off, then remove each side piece which also simply snap off. The screw is at the rear of the headlight, right next to the seal for the frunk. Turning the screw counter clockwise raises the lights. I suggest trying it half to one turn at a time. Make sure you count the turns so you can always return it back to where you started.
Great information. Alternatively you can use a 6mm hex bit on a socket wrench which might be easier to keep track of than a philips screwdriver.

I mostly agree. We just spent a couple days in a rural area (very few street lights) for New Years with some friends and I could definitely use a bit more lumens from the headlights too. One evening a friend drove us in his F150 (I think) and I noticed his lights definitely lit up the night much better.

+1....I find rural driving to be more of a challenge due to perceived dimness of lights.

However, I keep my auto headlights on and find that with those lights on in rural driving, the high beams are sufficient.

Like a lot of people here in this thread, after aiming them up a bit it is a lot better. They are finally lighting up what I'm familiar with and do a better job. I ended up aiming mine on the high end and no one was flashing me their high beams.

Great information. Alternatively you can use a 6mm hex bit on a socket wrench which might be easier to keep track of than a philips screwdriver.

Thanks. I plan to do this adjustment because while the light intensity is fine, I find them not illuminating as far out as I would like on low beams.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ADJUSTED, how many part or full turns did you do?

It really depends on the vehicle and how it is set up, but on the loaner vehicle which I felt was terrible, I turned them up 4 turns which was too much. Then I gradually backed it down to about 2 turns if I recall correctly.

So, my advice is to try raising maybe 1.5-2 turns and then adjust 1/2 a turn at a time until you are happy. As other's have mentioned, the driver's and passenger sides are sometimes set differently, so It's nice to have a flat wall about 30' away. Tape a line on the wall or use some other defining point for height, then cover each headlight alternatively with a blanket or something so you can aim them both to the same height.

Again, the key, as I learned, is don't go too high. It's easy to raise the low beams to a point they almost start to function as the high beams, which really is too much because the high beams will actually be shining "out into space" and not illuminating the road at all.

Hi everybody,

can anybody update this thread with some more recent information on the current Model X? I'm planning to order a MX in the next 2-3 month, but I remember a very disappointing headlight experience with a borrowed ModelS (facelifted). I was really shocked seeing how bad the light distribution of the ModelS was... My older VW Passat with LED lights was so much better in comparison (brighter _and_ more homogeneous). Is the current LED matrix light of the EU ModelX at least comparable to the headlights of the Model3?

Hi everybody,

can anybody update this thread with some more recent information on the current Model X? I'm planning to order a MX in the next 2-3 month, but I remember a very disappointing headlight experience with a borrowed ModelS (facelifted). I was really shocked seeing how bad the light distribution of the ModelS was... My older VW Passat with LED lights was so much better in comparison (brighter _and_ more homogeneous). Is the current LED matrix light of the EU ModelX at least comparable to the headlights of the Model3?
I have no issues with mine,. Never adjusted them and they absolutely beat the LEDs on my other QX30 and Porsche Cayenne in terms of reach and illumination. This is on a 17 MX btw.

Reactions: travis010 and X Fan
Hi everybody,

You will most likely need to adjust them which is very easy to do. My MX, MS, and a loaner MX I had for a couple weeks all needed to have the lights raised which made a HUGE difference. I agree, they were very disappointing when I first brought the cars home.