Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX LED Headlights, VERY disappointing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update. After some drives at night these last few days, the newly adjusted lights seem noticeably better to me in terms of height and therefore brightness as I am able to illuminate more. I was informed by SC that the lights are initially positioned so they are higher on the driver side and lower on the passenger side to assist with angle of visibility or some such thing. All the SC did was move the passenger side up to the higher range of spec. I feel safer now since I can see more. However, nowhere near as strong or clear as the nonLED MS loaner.
thanks that is good to know

I purposely cleaned off the lights a couple of times, so I know that wasn't the issue. It seems some are saying they are great, even one said better than his MS Hid's.... With the conflicting reports, I wonder if some of us truly do have something wrong with our headlights...
I would get them looked at. I find it funny you created this thread when just last night I was noticing how well our Model X high beams lit up the deserted 2 lane country road we were on... and the vehicle it replaced was a 2015 Mercedes.

EDIT: I see now that you already had them looked at :) My only guess is that the loaner S had a nice new pair of eyes put in right before you used it?

Reactions: Tomnook
Magazine quote by @Matias in another thread.

The lights are not very good, possibly limited by the lack of washers (regulatory limitations), especially the short beam is quite, well, short.

Comparison of pre vs. post facelift lights

Left is pre facelift Model S, right is post facelift Model X - how many meters the beam reaches:

img_0659-jpg.213015

Comparisons to competition:

img_1004-png.213059

Hi,

considering that in Europe the pre-facelift Model S have considerably weaker bulbs than in the US, the difference is maybe even greater.

However, headlight adjustment helps a lot, as the factory settings are often very conservative. On our Model S 60D, I adjusted upwards by FOUR turns, the reach is now acceptable, and no flashing from oncoming traffic.

Magazine quote by @Matias in another thread.

The lights are not very good, possibly limited by the lack of washers (regulatory limitations), especially the short beam is quite, well, short.

Comparison of pre vs. post facelift lights

Left is pre facelift Model S, right is post facelift Model X - how many meters the beam reaches:

img_0659-jpg.213015

Comparisons to competition:

img_1004-png.213059
This is helpful, thank you!

I am comparing my lights to other vehicles I've had which are in and around the same class. People who compare it to a basic Honda are not going to think it's weak compared to a MB or Audi. I think I will try to adjust the lights to aim a bit higher and see if it helps a little bit.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Under the cowling covering the top of the headlights is a plastic, Phillips head adjustment screw. Remove the center cover behind the frunk portion which just snaps off, then remove each side piece which also simply snap off. The screw is at the rear of the headlight, right next to the seal for the frunk. Turning the screw counter clockwise raises the lights. I suggest trying it half to one turn at a time. Make sure you count the turns so you can always return it back to where you started.
Any chance you have pictures of this? While you're very detailed, It would be nice to see if before I go into my car lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomnook
This is helpful, thank you!

I am comparing my lights to other vehicles I've had which are in and around the same class. People who compare it to a basic Honda are not going to think it's weak compared to a MB or Audi. I think I will try to adjust the lights to aim a bit higher and see if it helps a little bit.

Depends on who is doing the testing. I came from the design before the new Audi Q5 --- 2014 SQ5, one of the best headlights in the business.

My MX is certainly on par. Previous postings have identified misaligned headlights as one of the culprits. I would target that fix first.

IMG_5281.JPG
IMG_5280.JPG
Any chance you have pictures of this? While you're very detailed, It would be nice to see if before I go into my car lol.

Sure, in the first picture, which is of the driver's side so you can use the window washer cap for reference, look right above the rectangular white label.

The second picture is a close up, you can see a white colored bolt head with a Philips head cut into the middle of it recessed into a cutout near the frunk seal. This is what you turn to adjust.

I did the adjustments on the loaner MX which made a big difference as I said. Once I finally received my car, the headlights were great. Not quite as good as my Audi's or the pre facelift MS I drove but certainly superior to many other vehicles I have driven. So it certainly seems some MX's left the factory without the lights being adjusted well. It really does only take a couple of minutes to adjust them, just go a little bit at a time so you don't go too high and blind other drivers. If you go too high, the high beams will actually get worse and finally seem as if you didn't even turn them on because they are actually pointed above the road.

View attachment 219017 View attachment 219018

Sure, in the first picture, which is of the driver's side so you can use the window washer cap for reference, look right above the rectangular white label.

The second picture is a close up, you can see a white colored bolt head with a Philips head cut into the middle of it recessed into a cutout near the frunk seal. This is what you turn to adjust.

I did the adjustments on the loaner MX which made a big difference as I said. Once I finally received my car, the headlights were great. Not quite as good as my Audi's or the pre facelift MS I drove but certainly superior to many other vehicles I have driven. So it certainly seems some MX's left the factory without the lights being adjusted well. It really does only take a couple of minutes to adjust them, just go a little bit at a time so you don't go too high and blind other drivers. If you go too high, the high beams will actually get worse and finally seem as if you didn't even turn them on because they are actually pointed above the road.
Thank you very much!!!!! That's very helpful for me, I'll do that and take a night drive to see. I was wondering if it was an angle issue when we first noticed because with our other cars the road signs would be lit up and currently our X doesn't do that.

Yet, there are many reports on MX headlights are extremely good, and light up the road very well. Unless there are scientific tests done, and compare to other SUVs. We can't really compare it based on "measurement" from human eyes or perception. IIHS.org (one of the two agencies in US that do crash tests) is the only reliable source that do scientific headlight testing. Unfortunately, MX isn't listed there yet.

Direct link to "luxury SUV" IIHS page. Headlight rating on the far right side.
Safety ratings
Details on how the test was conducted:
Headlight evaluation

The new LED Model S headlights are rated poor by the IIHS ... the original HID lights were very good by comparison :cool:

upload_2017-3-19_23-19-39.png

upload_2017-3-19_23-22-36.png

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
Hi,

whereas with the HID headlights on the pre-facelift Model S, at least European drivers had the (slightly illegal) possibility of upgrading from 25W to 35W "bulbs", with the introduction of LED headlights, this probably isn't possible any more - unless the US versions are given more power by a software adjustment. The hardware is probably the same worldwide - too bad spoiling an excellent vehicle skimping on such an important feature as the headlights.