TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MX loses front left suspension arm after driver runs stop sign and hits curb during test drive

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Frank88, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Icey

Icey Member

That's one hell of a test drive...

• Funny x 2
  2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Looks like the wheel got sheared off by the curb. It was likely just going too fast.

3. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Really need to be more careful with the click baity title.

It's not like the MX lost its front suspension whilst driving, more like it was ripped from the car as it crashed over the kerb. Completely the drivers fault from the evidence presented thus far.

Car might have in fact saved more serious injury, just saying.

• Like x 1
  4. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

5. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.40.4

They should've also given both the Jeep and the Dodge tickets for parking within 30 feet of the stop sign.

6. MorrisonHiker

Mod note: Combined threads and renamed initial "Kaboom" thread.

• Love x 1
  7. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

fully agree here...i hit my wheel on a curb while sliding on ice and the lower control arm snapped. that happened at 10mph at the most.

not at all surpised to see the wheel ripped off.

8. sub

sub Active Member

Thread title is officially Lame. look how fast she is going when she passes the cyclist. End of story.

9. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Old title or current?

10. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Make sure and stay away from this inventory model when comes for sale !;):eek:

11. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Could have been a bad rollover if this were a large ICE SUV.

12. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

What is Tesla's policy of driver liability in such an accident? I still say the driver will end up paying for either the repairs or the total loss through insurance of her own.

Test Drive Car Accidents

13. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Clearly this car was on AutoPilot. Someone needs to file a complaint with the NTSB and send that video to the press asap! /s

• Funny x 3
  14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This thread title “MX loses front left suspension arm after failing to stop and hitting curb during test drive”
    is inflammatory. As written, it states that the car “failed to stop”. That’s wrong. The cause of the accident was that the driver drove too fast, lost control, then slid and hit the curb. At that point the suspension broke.

This is just the sort of thread title that sleazy publications will seize on and further distort.

• Helpful x 1
  15. MorrisonHiker

Do you have a better suggestion? If so, please share it. There were originally two threads. One of the threads was titled something like "MX loses front left suspension and crashes" which made it sound like it was the car's fault and not the driver's fault. The other thread title was "KABOOM....tinkletinkle" which didn't describe the thread at all. I combined the threads and tried to indicate in the title that they failed to stop (at a stop sign) and hit a curb. I guess that could be misunderstood as being the car's fault instead of the driver? I tried updating it to indicate the driver failed to stop at the stop sign. Is that acceptable?

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  16. AdamAnt

AdamAnt Member

Dear lord, the marketing potential of this. A Tesla with wheel sheared off twenty feet from the dealership... They probably had the staff figuring out how to drag it into the shop ASAP...

17. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

There's nothing that even remotely suggests the loss of the suspension arm was the cause of the accident. The driver was going too fast and slid into a curb. That breaks your wheel off if you're lucky or potentially rolls you if you're not.

18. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Active Member

May be they should use the "Valet" mode when doing test drive.

• Like x 1
  19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

In a spin, both feet in. Have a doubt, both feet out.

This is referring to a car with a clutch, but it can be modified for any car accordingly.

• Like x 1
  20. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I love me a clutch but what is in vs out? If my wheels spun, I'd clutch and steer, maybe brake...