Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX loses front left suspension arm after driver runs stop sign and hits curb during test drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who don't bother to watch the video. Tesla was a on a test drive, went too fast around the curve, slid sideways (possibly through the puddle) across the curb, and broke the front wheel suspension.

I had a similar experience in an ice storm, hit the curb in a non-Tesla and bent the frame. I'd prefer broken links to frame any day. (take away tip: steer up the curb, don't try to bounce off it)

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
For those who don't bother to watch the video. Tesla was a on a test drive, went too fast around the curve, slid sideways (possibly through the puddle) across the curb, and broke the front wheel suspension.

I had a similar experience in an ice storm, hit the curb in a non-Tesla and bent the frame. I'd prefer broken links to frame any day. (take away tip: steer up the curb, don't try to bounce off it)
I did something similar in a roundabout in a front wheel drive ICE probably over a decade ago, slid on road sand on a warm day not too long after snow/ice required it. Probably could have avoided the curb with brakes, but I froze up. The fender was crumpled a little and the axle was pulled out of the transmission, but no frame damage for me, either.

I did something similar in a roundabout in a front wheel drive ICE probably over a decade ago, slid on road sand on a warm day not too long after snow/ice required it. Probably could have avoided the curb with brakes, but I froze up. The fender was crumpled a little and the axle was pulled out of the transmission, but no frame damage for me, either.

If you were already sliding, brakes might have made it worse. I was used to snow banks, not concrete...

wtf? she ran the stop sign at that speed!!

and so did the truck and so did the van????

I think it is a local custom to ignore it.
It looks like the stop sign was a relic from when the intersection was a T. Now it's just a right turn...

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
blew the stop sign, huge letters on ground say STOP and there is a yellow sign with a stop sign symbol on it where the cyclist turns around....

its a one way road as it appears, either way its a 90 right turn, with a HUGE ass fence... so the driver was clearly going to fast and not looking where they were going

That's why I froze, but I could have turned the wheels back straight as you suggest (to reduce damage) and possibly regained traction from that, plus the rear wheels may have had traction the whole time.

FWD are weird due to the ability to 'lock' the front wheels by letting off the accelerator too much. One of the reasons I liked manual transmissions... Braking may have slowed you down, or accelerating may have improved the steering, who can say...

Day after quarterbacking is hard, if I'd seen a Jeep changing lanes into me and floored it into the Panera parking lot, I'd still be driving a Saturn. :oops:

She was driving too fast, but there was that black SUV illegally parked obstructing view of the stop sign.

This was a test drive Tesla???
yep, you can see the tesla store in the background and they said that it was a test drive.

note that it was a P100D as well as the brake caliper was red...$155K car now needs about $3-5k in suspension work by itself, let alone a new wheel and possibly bodywork...

If you were already sliding, brakes might have made it worse. I was used to snow banks, not concrete...

I think it is a local custom to ignore it.
It looks like the stop sign was a relic from when the intersection was a T. Now it's just a right turn...
My wife has ignored a stop sign like that. Unfortunately a stop sign is a stop sign even if it serves no purpose. She went to court to fight it but it was no go.

Reactions: mongo
One thing is certain, she was driving way too fast for the road in an unfamiliar vehicle too. Hope she learned something from this experience and so lucky nobody got hurt. This could easily have ended with a dead pedestrian or cyclist. I hope the police prosecute her for dangerous driving, although I expect it will just be filed as an "accident".

Reactions: JSergeant
One thing is certain, she was driving way too fast for the road in an unfamiliar vehicle too. Hope she learned something from this experience and so lucky nobody got hurt. This could easily have ended with a dead pedestrian or cyclist. I hope the police prosecute her for dangerous driving, although I expect it will just be filed as an "accident".

Roads around brooklyn and NY get very dusty due to dry conditions at times. Mix that with puddle and high-horsepower and a new-driver in a powerful Tesla and it spells some trouble. Possibly should have a city-mode and highway-mode. Where's the chill-mode that was discussed in the past? That should be used in heavily populated areas.