Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX online build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there an enormous backlog?

There were something like 20,000 reservations, and it grew from there.

Even if we assume that half canceled or converted to Model S, that leaves 10,000 cars to build. Tesla only delivered about 300 in Q4 2015, and 2400 in Q1 2016, which would leave 7300 vehicles backlogged, plus whatever reservations have entered the system since deliveries started.

Tesla's Model X sub-site states: "The estimated delivery for new reservations is the latter half of 2016". The most charitable interpretation of this is "sometime after July 1, 2016", and I certainly wouldn't bet on the earliest date being a realistic delivery day. Given that production problems with the X were supposedly only recently solved, I would guess that the company does have a lot of catching up to do.

Is there an enormous backlog?
I don't think there is an enormous backlog at this time, hence the Emails from Tesla. I think they are seeing the same situation that they had with the Model S. Lots of deposits, but people are not rushing to configure/confirm their vehicles. They probably have 10,000-20,000 potential customers, but until they hit the "confirm" button, they can't start building their cars.

People delaying their order is usually due to lack of demo vehicles. Most people like to sit in and test drive the vehicle prior to paying $100K+.

I suspect it has more to do with moving the Reservation Fee ($5000 or $40,000) from a reservation on the balance sheet to revenue. Once the order is confirmed the Reservation Fee is considered "earned" and therefore can be counted as revenue on Tesla books and earnings in the quarter in which confirmed -- since the fee is no longer refundable.

The percentage of cancellations (using MX Tracker) is relatively low 5.31%. If that subset of reservation holders is a representative sample of behavior, then of the 20,000 estimated reservation still ~17,000 remain in backlog. Tesla is motivated to gain confirmed orders to batch production by type, color and geography. "Meet the X" tour helped provide many with the Test drive and view of the vehicle....and each location seemed to encourage (not press) reservation holders to order and confirm.