Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX owner (Tesla employee) in Fremont crash this morning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Saw the news lead into this morning's programming on CBS KPIX5 about a Tesla employee driving a Model X that crashed into a tree and the car caught fire. Photo of the crash scene of the nearby trees and with the car up the wall, looks pretty bad. They think the driver could have been fatigued while at the wheel, happened around 7am and guessing he was on his way to work. Glad to hear it was reported he only had minor injuries.

Tesla Model X Bursts Into Flame After Crash in Fremont

Saw the news lead into this morning's programming on CBS KPIX5 about a Tesla employee driving a Model X that crashed into a tree and the car caught fire. Photo of the crash scene of the nearby trees and with the car up the wall, looks pretty bad. They think the driver could have been fatigued while at the wheel, happened around 7am and guessing he was on his way to work. Glad to hear it was reported he only had minor injuries.

Tesla Model X Bursts Into Flame After Crash in Fremont
Headline soon to read "Tesla saves driver from almost certain death in horrific crash"...........Yeah right
tesla-crash1.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: IdaX and 1375mlm
The noon hour KPIX news had video of them removing the car on a flatbed. Also fire department spokesperson saying how they tilt car with jacks and cool the the battery pack. Police said they believe he was tired when he ran off the road and hit two trees. They said he got himself out the car and later it caught fire. No further info on the employee was given.

The news reporter did ask the police if the car was on autopilot and they said they didn't know. This question undoubtedly will come up each time there's an accident with EVs where the car has some driver assisted program available on the car. I get why they ask. Do wonder however if when cruise control came out on cars way back when, and there were accidents with cars equipped with it on the highway, if the question was asked when reporting on an accident.

Last edited:
honestly these X post crash photos with the entire front end burned off make me a weeee bit concerned.

I don't see why? I understand the guy walked away with minor injuries and a major crash like this would have similar consequences for any ICE car. The crash test ratings for the Model X are top of the board, so I'd rather take my chances in it than pretty much any other car on the road. No car is 100% safe in an accident.

Reactions: jboy210 and 1375mlm
honestly these X post crash photos with the entire front end burned off make me a weeee bit concerned.

Google "car fire" and get pages of ICE car fires. All these pictures and knowing there are so many scares me.
As does this statement from the Nation Fire Prevention Association, "In 2003-2007, U.S. fire departments responded to an average of 287,000 vehicle fires per year. These fires caused an average of 480 civilian deaths, 1,525 civilian injuries, and $1.3 billion in direct property damage annually." Those were all ICE vehicle fires

920x920.jpg

I feel quite the opposite, knowing that all happened well after he got out of the car of his own accord and moved away from it.

That's what I'm worried about. That it was a moderate to minor accident that he walked away from but the car still burned up like that.

What if I (or my wife who drives the X) was unconscious after the accident?

That's what I'm worried about. That it was a moderate to minor accident that he walked away from but the car still burned up like that.

Look at the picture I posted of the SUV on fire.

Notice the front door is opened so hopefully the driver walked away or at least got out. Also, the damage looks confined to the front end. From the firewall back, the car looks complete undamaged. But it burst into flames in the engine compartment likely because the electric fuel pump kept pumping gas. And this gas went onto the hot engine, especially the exhaust. Also notice there are no fire people nearby. So this was shot before the 1st responders were established on the scene, which is often pretty quickly.

Well it looks like a pretty big accident to me, considering the photos of the wreck and debris and the account of what happened:-

"Police say the driver was heading south on Paseo Padre Parkway when he veered off the road and crashed head-on into trees along the road.The force of the impact swung the car around and damaged the front part of the long battery which runs along the undercarriage."

But anyway, you face at least as much (and statistically more) risk of a fire when you crash in an ICE car full of petrol. You could always just stay home, but wait.... homes can burn down too while you are asleep!

At the end of the day, your Model X is almost certainly the safest car you've ever owned, with a 5 star rating in every crash test sub-category.

Reactions: jboy210