Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX P90D - ordering, but do I need Ludicrous?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.....ok, a bit of a leading question, as in reality the answer must be 'no' (0-60 in 3.8 secs is pretty good as standard, I have 3 kids under 6, and live in the centre of a city) but a few questions:

1. Does 3.2 secs really feel that different from 3.8?

2. If I don't get it, are there just 2 modes on the touchscreen - 'standard' and 'ludicrous' ... But with 'ludicrous' greyed out?

3. Is it something that can be added later (I assume not)

Thanks in advance

will you feel different, yes... the difference in feel is pretty substantial as the increase in gforce is quite a bit for each tenth off as i believe it would be exponential...

do you need it? well money isnt a factor, go for it... if it is, then i would skip it for now.

Reactions: Plaid21
If you don't get Ludicrous, you still have Insane, which is very fast for your situation. I've read you can feel the difference between Ludicrous and Insane after 40 or 50 mph. I'm kind of in the same boat as you, twins under 3 and I got the P90D. I figure when they're out of car seats and I want to upgrade, I'll add Ludicrous on later, but who knows what battery sizes we'll be able to retrofit. 100+ upgrade might be nice in 3-5 years.

.....ok, a bit of a leading question, as in reality the answer must be 'no' (0-60 in 3.8 secs is pretty good as standard, I have 3 kids under 6, and live in the centre of a city) but a few questions:

1. Does 3.2 secs really feel that different from 3.8?

2. If I don't get it, are there just 2 modes on the touchscreen - 'standard' and 'ludicrous' ... But with 'ludicrous' greyed out?

3. Is it something that can be added later (I assume not)

If you get a P90D (without ludicrous), your options are "SPORT - INSANE".
If you upgrade to Ludicrous (after delivery, it is $10k), your option will become "SPORT - LUDICROUS"

Reactions: Jon
If you are spending this much money already what's an extra 10K. :) The difference in acceleration IMHO is substantial. Having said that the P90D is plenty fast already, but so is 90D. Test drive one with ludicrous mode and try it with it turned on and off. Then decide.

I've got a P90DL and had a 90D as a loaner for a bit. There was a big difference. Even my wife who normally doesn't care about such things commented on it, and couldn't wait to get our X back.

The difference between insane and ludicrous isn't as extreme, and as others have said, is more noticeable above 50mph. If you do a lot of highway driving at 70 and want to be able to pass by just thinking about it, get ludicrous. If you're ok it taking a few seconds, insane is fine.

I switched from a MS P85 to a MX P90DL. I test drove the regular 90D and found it pretty sluggish and had to upgrade. That said I just drove my MS the other day and it felt faster than the MX which is better in every way on paper and comfort. It's probably a go cart effect.

The best way to decide is try one at the SC. We drove an X P90D with ludicrous and I did a 0-60 with the ludicrous mode off then did it again with it on. I could not tell any difference and I race auto cross and drag very often. I did not time the two tests so I cannot verify that ludicrous really took the time down to 3.2 in the 0-60 time but both runs "felt" sub 4 seconds but equal. Is it worth $10k ? Only you can answer that question but don't take anyone's word for it. Try it before you buy.

I have to say right here and now as a S90D owner (and loving it) I would have totally enjoyed having the P90DL logo on the rear. Even if I would never use it, the car guys (and gals) know that logo and respect it! It will also increase the resale value when that time comes.