Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX plaid tire wear update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHOOAAA mind blown...the site and my order showed 22s with summer tires. If they are indeed all-seasons, I'm editing my order now lol 🤣
FYI 23’s still come with summer tires. I’m in NOVA and have the 22 inch wheels (2023 Model X Plaid) with summer tires. The winters here are too mild for me to change the tires to AS before the stock ones wear out. Once they do wear out I’m going to switch to Pilot Sport All Season 4.

FWIW I also have a 2022 MYP that has the stock summer tires (on 21’s). We have 20k miles on them now. Got the car in December 2021 and so far haven’t had any issues in the last two winters (too mild). We will also replace these with Pilot Sport AS 4s when the time comes.

Reactions: DefenderX
only the early 2022 plaids came with summer tires. They now all come with all seasons for both the long range and the plaid.

WHOOAAA mind blown...the site and my order showed 22s with summer tires. If they are indeed all-seasons, I'm editing my order now lol 🤣
i'm actually not sure about the 22's But i know the current model x that come with 20's borth the long range and the plaid now come with the contentintal all season tires. but for 2022 plaid with the 20 inch wheels like mine came with michelin summer tires and the long range came with continental all seasons

FYI 23’s still come with summer tires. I’m in NOVA and have the 22 inch wheels (2023 Model X Plaid) with summer tires. The winters here are too mild for me to change the tires to AS before the stock ones wear out. Once they do wear out I’m going to switch to Pilot Sport All Season 4.

FWIW I also have a 2022 MYP that has the stock summer tires (on 21’s). We have 20k miles on them now. Got the car in December 2021 and so far haven’t had any issues in the last two winters (too mild). We will also replace these with Pilot Sport AS 4s when the time comes.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing your feedback/experience.

Reactions: Tulipo
Just wanted to update you on our 22 mx plaid tire wear. 14k miles so far with 7/32 remaining on all 4 tires with no sign of inner wear on the rears. So much better than the 2018 mx we replaced. This is pointing to around 30+ k miles per set. So far pleased
Ideally what would also be helpful is posting your alignment specs to compare rear camber to those with inner tire wear issues. It would seem these cars need to get an alignment check about every 5k until it proves to not have too much negative camber. The '23 still doesnt have adjustable camber arms so might need to hit the lottery on the alignment.

Ideally what would also be helpful is posting your alignment specs to compare rear camber to those with inner tire wear issues. It would seem these cars need to get an alignment check about every 5k until it proves to not have too much negative camber. The '23 still doesnt have adjustable camber arms so might need to hit the lottery on the alignment.
It's not camber that wears out tires it's toe.

I understand why you are asking, not interested in taking the car to an alignment shop to check the specs when the results are this good so far.

It is also possible there are better odds for cars rolling off the line to have reasonable rear toe since it has more adjustment from the redesign.

It is also possible there are better odds for cars rolling off the line to have reasonable rear toe since it has more adjustment from the redesign.
Labor is certainly cheaper (based on a couple local shops familiar with them) to have the camber arms swapped now that you dont have to replace the toe arms as well. The toe arms were the ones where you had to cut the bolt to get them out which added a good bit of labor.