Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX PLAID WAIT FOR 2023 MODEL YEAR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok.. Have current order in for MX LR thinking about switching to MX Plaid which will delivered ~4-6 weeks. I hear (I think) Tesla does not define model by years, however when looking to buy a car, seller's list the model year.
Currently my MX LR delivery is March ish 2023
I am assuming a March "2023" delivery date is a 2023 model year.
Should I wait to the "2023s" are officially out for the MX Plaid?
I do not care if there's no change in the exterior/interior, I think I'd rather have an MX Plaid model year 2023....
Thoughts.?
Jon

Ok.. Have current order in for MX LR thinking about switching to MX Plaid which will delivered ~4-6 weeks. I hear (I think) Tesla does not define model by years, however when looking to buy a car, seller's list the model year.
I do not care if there's no change in the exterior/interior, I think I'd rather have an MX Plaid model year 2023....
Thoughts.?
Jon
There are no model year-based changes. Tesla adds feature and make changes when they are ready and on their schedule. A car produced one day may have extensive features not in a car made the day before. For example, my 2018 X made in May, had a completely updated MCU (display computer) from ones made previously. It was much faster, brighter, had an updated processor, etc. They made this change in mid-March of 2018. The registered year model vehicles made before and after this change was 2018. In mid-April Tesla change the color combinations available and mine also had a different interior color and seat options from what I ordered. I much preferred the color combination I received, but it was not what I ordered.

The bottom line is if your car is made in March 2023, it will be a 2023 model year. But hypothetically it might not have features of a car delivered in June or September 2023 might have.

Thoughts.?
Jon
Changes happen when they happen, mid-year changes are very common with Tesla. There may be some tax advantages for deliveries in 2023, but current speculations suggest that will only be available for the Model Y (the X is too expensive). So it is really up to you whether to wait six months to get a 2023, or you could be running around in that new Plaid now. Pick one. No one knows if there will be anything special added, or what might happen to the price. Tesla also changes (increases) their pricing quite frequently. But so far, they have been honoring the price table at the time of your initial order, which you could change to a Plaid.

Any models produced October and forward will be 2023 model year if that helps
Yes, this. The OP asked about model years, not features, which most other replies have focused on. Tesla used to flip model years with the calendar year, but for several years they have been flipping to the “new year” in the Fall,more similarly to other car manufacturers. The model year appears in the VIN. And yes, in the longterm, when someone looks up the value of your car, 2023 will probably have a higher value by the book than a 2022. So all else being equal, I’d prefer the next year to be associated with my car.

Reactions: jonzcfo
Are you 100% sure?
Tesla is currently showing 2023 model 3’s in their inventory. I would expect they flip the model year for all models at the same time.
28F76B4A-C180-4F9B-BAE2-80C656749B40.jpeg