Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Raven - average wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my model X Raven but unfortunately I've been averaging 380 393 wh/mi. I have mostly tried to enable range mode. It's a mix of city and freeway driving. Not sure if I'm missing something. I saw somebody post close to 290 wh/mi, that seems impossible for me unless I'm going downhill. Any tips?

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_161013.jpg
    IMG_20190807_161013.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 249
Also in AZ.....

My wife’s 2-week old 19’ MX with 20’s looks to be doing 366. She drives in chill mode w/out range mode activated.

While my, company owned, 18’ MX 100D with 22’s is around 425. Admittedly I wear heavy shoes though ;). I drive standard w/out range mode.

Don’t know if that helps. I’m new to all of this, and interested to see more replies.

Attachments

• C48AFD95-2C01-4FF5-9791-8E261A739110.jpeg
    C48AFD95-2C01-4FF5-9791-8E261A739110.jpeg
    385.6 KB · Views: 173
  • F776DF9D-BE48-43A6-A3D3-8C56090AD13E.jpeg
    F776DF9D-BE48-43A6-A3D3-8C56090AD13E.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 164
I saw somebody post close to 290 wh/mi, that seems impossible for me unless I'm going downhill. Any tips?

They might be in city traffic, where regen is giving it a boost. Highway is where EV's lose range because of wind resistance.

Also driving style matters a lot. Some people leave a lot of gaps and regen fully, others stab the brake. Also if you drive 40 mph, you'll get incredible range. Even just staying to 70 is a lot better than 80 or 90.

I'm guessing ac is consuming quite a bit.

The AC while it uses, it uses so little really. Like suggested a long trip with a steady speed no hilly, of which you should be able to do in AZ. You'll never do it in stop and go.

AC set a comfortable level, not crazy low temp or high fan speeds(hard to do with all that glass around your head in AZ, I would guess), 77MPH or less and I think you'll see the numbers in usage over 30 miles decrease as you go along. No pumping the pedal or large swings of acceleration and then not. Steady. Let people pass you, your MX is fast, but it does not have to be fast all the time if you want good results.

I recently got 259 going 78MPH, AP activated 82 degrees early morning 7:30 am, albeit Model S you should be able to achieve 290 in an X

Last edited:
IMG_1376 2.JPG

New Tires, flat level ground except over passes. A/C I think set to 72-73 degrees Automatic, a rare moment. Realizing if I went to trip screen I think overall usage would be more. 290 avg driving in an X should be doable in certain circumstances. Tires heated up nicely inflation pressure increased as well all normal.

View attachment 439233
New Tires, flat level ground except over passes. A/C I think set to 72-73 degrees Automatic, a rare moment. Realizing if I went to trip screen I think overall usage would be more. 290 avg driving in an X should be doable in certain circumstances. Tires heated up nicely inflation pressure increased as well all normal.

On my non-raven spec, my AC uses quite a bit. Set to auto/70F, I drop from 375ish to 320 by turning the AC off when it’s about 80 outside. If it’s warmer, it’ll drop even more.

But your consumption seems high for the spec. I average 375ish on 20s on my original spec X.

How long are your drives?

In AZ, you're paying a lot of energy to cool the cabin every time a trip starts, especially here in the summer. If the trips are fairly short, that could easily be affecting your overall economy numbers.

FWIW, I'm averaging 314 Wh/mile over almost 10k miles in my Ludicrous Raven on 20" wheels - most of that mileage is from a long roadtrip, which is good and bad - less HVAC impact, but a lot of 75 and 80 mph segments out west dragging the average up. Here's the end of trip data from a month ago:

IMG_2923.JPG

On my non-raven spec, my AC uses quite a bit. Set to auto/70F, I drop from 375ish to 320 by turning the AC off when it’s about 80 outside. If it’s warmer, it’ll drop even more.

But your consumption seems high for the spec. I average 375ish on 20s on my original spec X.
Soni tried some short runs with the AC off and getting 290s 300 readings. So not sure why the AC is adding such high loads. Will try a test on a longer flat run with both ac and non AC and report back.

My non-raven X sits on 372. I live in an area which is heavy traffic and uphill-downhill on my daily commute. I do not drive crazy fast and a lot of times I cant :) even if I wanted to. I do speed up a little at times to get ahead but usually on highway commute, I use AP. It's a mix driving with lot of local (kids pick up drop off etc)
I've tried to go slow to see if that helps but I guess the best I can get is 340.

My 2019 pre Raven 100D in chill mode gets like 450-480 wh/mi.

My AC is on all the time, and I do live on a mild hill, but the downhill doesn't seem to offset the uphill. If I drive down the hill to the local city driving for a bit (meaning no uphills) I only drop to like 380.

Is there something wrong?