TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

MX Raven (delivered 12/17) Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by pgrennan, Jan 6, 2020.

1. pgrennan

pgrennan Member

I have a condition with my new MX that the Tesla service center says they have not heard before. Its a clicking sound that occurs (or you can only hear then because of less road noise) when you are accelerating or decelerating at slow speeds. The service manager got in the car and we went on a test drive and he took a recording.

Fast forward >2.5 days in the service bay and they can't find it. They say they keep trying things and to no avail. I am told they have not heard this before and its "different" than previous clicking sounds they had (Ujoint, axle bolt, etc) dealt with. Ive even heard that they have not worked on a lot of the MX Raven's.

Has anyone else experienced this that might have some insight? I have asked them to escalate but they seem reluctant to do so until they spend more time....meanwhile I am without my new car.

2. Mysta

Mysta Former Vendor

Got any audio/video? Hard to really help out without it.

3. Popeye

Popeye Member

I have same problem 2019 mxp

4. BenderTmoc

BenderTmoc Member

Same problem here. Inaudible with the windows up, but with windows down, quite loud and noticeable - especially if you're driving near a wall that the sound can bounce off of. No idea what it is, but I have a SC appointment on Friday and I will certainly mention it.

5. AAARSINIC

AAARSINIC Member

I just got my raven X in December 2019 and it has a random click that comes from the dash when accelerating or decelerating. It happens at all speeds but is more noticeable at low speeds due to less road and wind noise. I have an appointment in a few weeks, but if anyone has any ideas I am open to hearing them!

6. Popeye

Popeye Member

that is not shuttering at all

7. Weighit

Weighit Member

sounds like a relay?? clicking on and off to me

8. AAARSINIC

AAARSINIC Member

Yes it kind of does. I will report back what service finds in a couple weeks.

9. tuncer

tuncer New Member

We have a "creaking" noise in ours. We have a 2020 LR X and there's a creaking noise (not really clicking). Service was not able to fix it and wants to send it to a body shop....

10. gwsteele

gwsteele Member

I’ve noticed a metallic creaking under the same conditions on mine that reflects off hard surfaces (walls, etc.) when I have the windows rolled down and accelerate from a standstill. Pretty minor - haven’t had a chance to take it in yet. (Delivered 12/23).

11. BenderTmoc

BenderTmoc Member

Small update for anyone watching the thread... Unfortunately the clicking sound was an "add-on issue" to my original appointment and since the SC was busy, they did not have time to address it. So I'll have to make a follow-up appointment.

12. gwsteele

gwsteele Member

Just to follow up here. Service lubricated the axels on my X and the metallic creaking under initial acceleration was addressed.

• Informative x 1
  13. Popeye

Popeye Member

My car is now 67 days total in shop they are still Trying to figure it out this car is giving them a hard time

14. Ron97062

Ron97062 Member

YES! This just started happening to my X yesterday. Raven X delivered on Dec 18, 2019. 2309 miles. I thought at first my son left a marble that was rolling around somewhere and making a "click" noise during slow-speed accelerating and deceleration, but I couldn't find what was causing it. I'm going to keep looking, and perhaps add this to my list for my first service appt.

15. CuriousM3

CuriousM3 Member

Just got mine back after 3 weeks and they said no fix. Mine is more of a deeper sound clunk on acceleration and deceleration. If you feather the throttle it doesnt happen as much om accel and decel. Happens less on creep mode too. But roll or hold mode is definitely present.

16. JessLBC

JessLBC Member

Any updates on the fix? Has SC found out what it is? My 2020 MX is having the same issue and it is starting to drive me nuts.

17. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Clicking at low speed as you lightly press or release the accelerator is often fixed by lubricating and tightening the wheel hub nuts.