Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Recurring Half Shaft Problem

RCH1708

May 31, 2013
Maarheeze, Netherlands
Hi all,

I've owned an MX since September 2018 (our second Tesla) and have recently passed the 50000km milestone. However, since delivery I have had recurring problems with vibration and grinding noises from the front transmission. So far Tesla has replaced the front half shafts 5 times and I have an upcoming service appointment, again due to vibration from the front transmission, that will probably result in a 6th repair. I'd like to get this problem sorted out once and for all as, apart from all the hassle involved, I'm concerned that once the guarantee expires at 80000km, I'll end up having to pay for these repairs.

Tesla tell me that the MX half shafts are a known weakness and that they are working on redesigning them. This story has remained the same since the end of 2018, so I've started doubting whether it's true. I have several friends with MX's from late 2018 and neither of them have such recurring half shaft wear problems. And before anyone suggests that I have a heavy right foot, take it from me that I do every I can not to stress the front transmission, not least because of all of the hassle of dealing with Tesla Service too often.

My MX was something of a lemon on delivery, with a range of poor quality build issues. The grinding/vibration from the front transmission manifested within 2000km after delivery. Further, new half shafts generally last 2000-5000km before problems start recurring. This leads me to suspect that there's a build problem deeper in the front transmission that leads to accelerated wear of the half shafts. However I've been unable to convince anyone at Tesla that this could be the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MX front transmission/half shafts? If so, has the problem been permanently fixed? What components were repaired/replaced to solve the problem? Does anyone know what the status of the 'half shaft redesign' is that's been promised?

All help gratefully received.

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
I don't remember when Ravens came out. Is this a Raven? If not, it kinda sounds like Tesla is behind internationally. In fact, a TSB was released in the US some time back, and it calls for redesigned motor mounts and half shafts to be installed. Several people have had this service done, and you can probably find information on the TSB and when the service started happening back in the main acceleration shudder thread that I believe someone else already linked you to in another thread.

RCH1708

May 31, 2013
Maarheeze, Netherlands
No, it's not a Raven. Interesting to hear that there's a TSB on the subject - I didn't know that. Thanks!

"I believe someone else already linked you to in another thread." This is my first post on TMC in 5 years, so I haven't been sent any links of the subject before today. Do you have a link to the thread you mention?

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
Very strange, I would have sworn I saw another thread that you started that had a reply with this link:

Acceleration Shudder

I couldn't even find the other thread with that link, so I don't know if I mixed up usernames or what. Either way, that is the thread I am referring to. I believe it has everything buried within.

Reactions: RCH1708

RCH1708

May 31, 2013
Maarheeze, Netherlands
In fact, a TSB was released in the US some time back, and it calls for redesigned motor mounts and half shafts to be installed.

Thanks to your remark I found the TSB on the Internet. I then called my local (NL) service centre and they confirmed that this should be the definitive solution for my car. However, they told me that there's a run on the parts for the TSB and that they have to be ordered against the vehicle's VIN number. They doubted that the parts would be delivered in time for my service appointment, so we agreed to move the appointment back a few weeks to give them the necessary time.

The advantages of sharing information on a forum!

Jamojones

Dec 16, 2020
Park City, UT
I have a 2020 Model X with the EXACT same problems with vibration around 30-35mph. I'm currently scheduled for service and TSLA has ordered both front half shafts, AGAIN!!! This is the 2nd time they have done this same repair in less than a year.

vonschaper

Feb 18, 2021
Atlanta, GA USA
I had a 2020 MX with the same issues. We just rid of it after 8 months because I got tired of scheduling my life around SC visits. It was our 7th Tesla and made me leave the brand. We got rid of an '18 MS for a '20 MS and it has none of these issues. We've reserved the refresh and I'm not taking delivery until I see if they've worked out some of these issues. Seeing how long they've been around makes me doubt it.....

Reactions: johnking

Silicon Desert

Oct 1, 2018
Sparks NV / GF 1
Thanks to your remark I found the TSB on the Internet. I then called my local (NL) service centre and they confirmed that this should be the definitive solution for my car. However, they told me that there's a run on the parts for the TSB and that they have to be ordered against the vehicle's VIN number. They doubted that the parts would be delivered in time for my service appointment, so we agreed to move the appointment back a few weeks to give them the necessary time.

The advantages of sharing information on a forum!

Interesting that the service center didn't offer to do this LONG AGO ! I had the shutter issue on one of my cars (2017 MX). The SC replaced the clevis mounts and half shafts shortly after the service bulletin came out. That was 22,000 miles ago and the problem has never returned.

Tysam

Mar 19, 2021
Oxford,Mississippi
Hi all,

I've owned an MX since September 2018 (our second Tesla) and have recently passed the 50000km milestone. However, since delivery I have had recurring problems with vibration and grinding noises from the front transmission. So far Tesla has replaced the front half shafts 5 times and I have an upcoming service appointment, again due to vibration from the front transmission, that will probably result in a 6th repair. I'd like to get this problem sorted out once and for all as, apart from all the hassle involved, I'm concerned that once the guarantee expires at 80000km, I'll end up having to pay for these repairs.

Tesla tell me that the MX half shafts are a known weakness and that they are working on redesigning them. This story has remained the same since the end of 2018, so I've started doubting whether it's true. I have several friends with MX's from late 2018 and neither of them have such recurring half shaft wear problems. And before anyone suggests that I have a heavy right foot, take it from me that I do every I can not to stress the front transmission, not least because of all of the hassle of dealing with Tesla Service too often.

My MX was something of a lemon on delivery, with a range of poor quality build issues. The grinding/vibration from the front transmission manifested within 2000km after delivery. Further, new half shafts generally last 2000-5000km before problems start recurring. This leads me to suspect that there's a build problem deeper in the front transmission that leads to accelerated wear of the half shafts. However I've been unable to convince anyone at Tesla that this could be the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MX front transmission/half shafts? If so, has the problem been permanently fixed? What components were repaired/replaced to solve the problem? Does anyone know what the status of the 'half shaft redesign' is that's been promised?

All help gratefully received.
2020 Model S performance and same story here! Been replaced 3 times now so 4th set overall and still shudders and vibration in front end.This last set has only been in for less than a month and has been driven carefully and made no difference.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC