Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Recurring Half Shaft Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've owned an MX since September 2018 (our second Tesla) and have recently passed the 50000km milestone. However, since delivery I have had recurring problems with vibration and grinding noises from the front transmission. So far Tesla has replaced the front half shafts 5 times and I have an upcoming service appointment, again due to vibration from the front transmission, that will probably result in a 6th repair. I'd like to get this problem sorted out once and for all as, apart from all the hassle involved, I'm concerned that once the guarantee expires at 80000km, I'll end up having to pay for these repairs.

Tesla tell me that the MX half shafts are a known weakness and that they are working on redesigning them. This story has remained the same since the end of 2018, so I've started doubting whether it's true. I have several friends with MX's from late 2018 and neither of them have such recurring half shaft wear problems. And before anyone suggests that I have a heavy right foot, take it from me that I do every I can not to stress the front transmission, not least because of all of the hassle of dealing with Tesla Service too often.

My MX was something of a lemon on delivery, with a range of poor quality build issues. The grinding/vibration from the front transmission manifested within 2000km after delivery. Further, new half shafts generally last 2000-5000km before problems start recurring. This leads me to suspect that there's a build problem deeper in the front transmission that leads to accelerated wear of the half shafts. However I've been unable to convince anyone at Tesla that this could be the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MX front transmission/half shafts? If so, has the problem been permanently fixed? What components were repaired/replaced to solve the problem? Does anyone know what the status of the 'half shaft redesign' is that's been promised?

All help gratefully received.

I don't remember when Ravens came out. Is this a Raven? If not, it kinda sounds like Tesla is behind internationally. In fact, a TSB was released in the US some time back, and it calls for redesigned motor mounts and half shafts to be installed. Several people have had this service done, and you can probably find information on the TSB and when the service started happening back in the main acceleration shudder thread that I believe someone else already linked you to in another thread.

No, it's not a Raven. Interesting to hear that there's a TSB on the subject - I didn't know that. Thanks!

"I believe someone else already linked you to in another thread." This is my first post on TMC in 5 years, so I haven't been sent any links of the subject before today. Do you have a link to the thread you mention?

In fact, a TSB was released in the US some time back, and it calls for redesigned motor mounts and half shafts to be installed.

Thanks to your remark I found the TSB on the Internet. I then called my local (NL) service centre and they confirmed that this should be the definitive solution for my car. However, they told me that there's a run on the parts for the TSB and that they have to be ordered against the vehicle's VIN number. They doubted that the parts would be delivered in time for my service appointment, so we agreed to move the appointment back a few weeks to give them the necessary time.

The advantages of sharing information on a forum!

I had a 2020 MX with the same issues. We just rid of it after 8 months because I got tired of scheduling my life around SC visits. It was our 7th Tesla and made me leave the brand. We got rid of an '18 MS for a '20 MS and it has none of these issues. We've reserved the refresh and I'm not taking delivery until I see if they've worked out some of these issues. Seeing how long they've been around makes me doubt it.....

Reactions: johnking
Thanks to your remark I found the TSB on the Internet. I then called my local (NL) service centre and they confirmed that this should be the definitive solution for my car. However, they told me that there's a run on the parts for the TSB and that they have to be ordered against the vehicle's VIN number. They doubted that the parts would be delivered in time for my service appointment, so we agreed to move the appointment back a few weeks to give them the necessary time.

The advantages of sharing information on a forum!

Interesting that the service center didn't offer to do this LONG AGO ! I had the shutter issue on one of my cars (2017 MX). The SC replaced the clevis mounts and half shafts shortly after the service bulletin came out. That was 22,000 miles ago and the problem has never returned.

Hi all,

I've owned an MX since September 2018 (our second Tesla) and have recently passed the 50000km milestone. However, since delivery I have had recurring problems with vibration and grinding noises from the front transmission. So far Tesla has replaced the front half shafts 5 times and I have an upcoming service appointment, again due to vibration from the front transmission, that will probably result in a 6th repair. I'd like to get this problem sorted out once and for all as, apart from all the hassle involved, I'm concerned that once the guarantee expires at 80000km, I'll end up having to pay for these repairs.

Tesla tell me that the MX half shafts are a known weakness and that they are working on redesigning them. This story has remained the same since the end of 2018, so I've started doubting whether it's true. I have several friends with MX's from late 2018 and neither of them have such recurring half shaft wear problems. And before anyone suggests that I have a heavy right foot, take it from me that I do every I can not to stress the front transmission, not least because of all of the hassle of dealing with Tesla Service too often.

My MX was something of a lemon on delivery, with a range of poor quality build issues. The grinding/vibration from the front transmission manifested within 2000km after delivery. Further, new half shafts generally last 2000-5000km before problems start recurring. This leads me to suspect that there's a build problem deeper in the front transmission that leads to accelerated wear of the half shafts. However I've been unable to convince anyone at Tesla that this could be the case.

Has anyone had a similar experience with the MX front transmission/half shafts? If so, has the problem been permanently fixed? What components were repaired/replaced to solve the problem? Does anyone know what the status of the 'half shaft redesign' is that's been promised?

All help gratefully received.
2020 Model S performance and same story here! Been replaced 3 times now so 4th set overall and still shudders and vibration in front end.This last set has only been in for less than a month and has been driven carefully and made no difference.

2020 Model X Long Range, 32k miles. Just had my 3rd new set installed. Have finally had to get upset with Tesla over the continual trips to the service center since we purchased the vehicle new. I lost count, but it's at least a dozen. Talked to Tesla Customer Service (oxymoron if I've ever seen one) and they basically said tough s@#$. I just don't see how, when the vehicle goes out of the warranty period, it will be economical to own the car. Plus, like vonschaper said, I'm tired of scheduling my life around 3 hour round trip service visits.

Has anyone had or know anyone that has had any luck with getting Tesla to do anything about this (buy back, etc.?).

Thanks all.

What ride height is everyone here who’s experiencing problems at? The axle angles at standard height are too great and it is recommended to ride at low height, which then adds too much camber to the rear giving excessive tire wear. N2uitive makes products to help correct these issues. Been looking into it and stumbled across it myself. Tesla has yet to address the geometry and faulty part issues. I’m hoping for a recall.

I went to the service center today and questioned them on this topic and what we are to do, and what the planned fix is, if they knew of one. They had no answer, which is what I expected. They pointed to the "B" version of the half shafts, which have been out some time I think and which I've already burned through 2 1/2 sets of, but that is all they had. When pushed, they simply said they had no idea. I asked if they had lots of Model X owners with these issues, to which they replied "oh yes".

I mostly ride at standard height because of what you said about tire wear.

What ride height is everyone here who’s experiencing problems at? The axle angles at standard height are too great and it is recommended to ride at low height, which then adds too much camber to the rear giving excessive tire wear. N2uitive makes products to help correct these issues. Been looking into it and stumbled across it myself. Tesla has yet to address the geometry and faulty part issues. I’m hoping for a recall.

The toe is really the culprit. Camber affects tire wear, but nothing like toe.

2020 Model X Long Range, 32k miles. Just had my 3rd new set installed. Have finally had to get upset with Tesla over the continual trips to the service center since we purchased the vehicle new. I lost count, but it's at least a dozen. Talked to Tesla Customer Service (oxymoron if I've ever seen one) and they basically said tough s@#$. I just don't see how, when the vehicle goes out of the warranty period, it will be economical to own the car. Plus, like vonschaper said, I'm tired of scheduling my life around 3 hour round trip service visits.

Has anyone had or know anyone that has had any luck with getting Tesla to do anything about this (buy back, etc.?).

Thanks all.
I have a 2019 MX with 39K miles and I’ve spent countless hours with Tesla Service center due to the vibration caused by half-Shaft. I am now debating if I should sell my MX before the warranty runs out in about 9 months. I am also looking at the lemon law to see I could do a buyback. This is a crazy design flaw that Tesla should proactively resolve.