Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX Screen Frozen on Freeway??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving on i-5 with my little son in the car. Car was on autosteer. Then all of a sudden both screens froze. I took over control, tried to change lanes but there was no clicking sound when I turned on my turn signal.

Finally I was able to pull into a parking lot safely and perform a deep reset. Everything seems normal now.

2019.8.5 2018 MX p100d

Reactions: P85_DA and Merrill
Unfortunately, learning how to reset is one of the first things you need to learn in a Tesla. I had to reset the screens on my Model S (owned for 2.5 yrs) maybe a half dozen times (one time didn't work and the screen had to be replaced). On my Model X (owned for 3 months), I've had to reset twice...

• Love
Reactions: ysquared2
I have a July 2018 Model X and for the past few software updates I have had little glitches that clear up with the double scroll wheel reset- it is unnerving but I have even done it while driving. Hold both scroll wheels down and the dashboard display and the 17-inch screen both go black for about a minute, it seems longer and then the Tesla "T" pops up and both screens come back. Sound goes off, have not had the chance to see if it affects the autodrive but the car drives fine otherwise. I don't think turn signals make noises so I don't know if they are working. It is probably better to do it while stopped but since the screens have frozen or blacked out when I am driving (mostly with 2019.3.5) resetting seems to be useful.

Mike P

I have a July 2018 Model X and for the past few software updates I have had little glitches that clear up with the double scroll wheel reset- it is unnerving but I have even done it while driving. Hold both scroll wheels down and the dashboard display and the 17-inch screen both go black for about a minute, it seems longer and then the Tesla "T" pops up and both screens come back. Sound goes off, have not had the chance to see if it affects the autodrive but the car drives fine otherwise. I don't think turn signals make noises so I don't know if they are working. It is probably better to do it while stopped but since the screens have frozen or blacked out when I am driving (mostly with 2019.3.5) resetting seems to be useful.

Mike P

The MX money can buy 4 of my Model 3 SR+ while I’ve never experienced any software issues with my SR+ so far. Is this normal for a $100K+ car?

Yep. Same here. I have a late-March 2019 MX P100D. A couple of weeks ago, I experienced similar symptoms as ysquared2 illustrated. For me, it started when I received a call while media was playing from my phone. I took the call and hung up, but my music didn't re-start. I just heard static. I, too, was in full autopilot. I thought that was odd, but figured I needed to re-boot my phone (thinking it was the phone causing the problem since I'd also just received a call). A reboot of my phone didn't solve the issue, then slowly other on-screen systems started to fail -- my directionals didn't make the clicking sound, or flash when I changed lanes, then the arrow showing my position on the nav screen froze. I shrugged, rebooted the screens while driving and was impressed that I could continue to drive normally while the car's systems started coming back online. After the reboot, all was great.

I'd have totally panicked if I hadn't read a few posts in this forum about how to reboot if issues arise, so THANK YOU to everyone for posting your experiences. I'm on an old-ish SW version: 2019.5.17 3af66e8 and haven't had a reliable-enough nighttime WiFi connection to upgrade.

Reactions: P85_DA