Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX vs M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a BMW X6M . Love the handling, acceleration and height of driver seat along w/ the all weather handling capabilities.
Debating between Model 3 P vs Model X. Please help me decide.

Reactions: P85_DA
Currently have a BMW X6M . Love the handling, acceleration and height of driver seat along w/ the all weather handling capabilities.

Interesting that the Model S wasn't included. Basically, if you want room and the fancier doors, then the X is probably the best answer.
If you want the new style dashboard and don't need as much space, than the Model 3 (without P) is the best answer.

If you have "the need for speed" then the S P is the answer.

For a direct comparison to the X6M, the Model 3P is probably closest, it's also the one that you won't be able to get for a little bit, just depends on what you want.

That doesn't seem like it would even be a comparison. Get an X 100D (no P). I've had the X P90DL (AP1) and now a X 100D (AP2). The later is outstanding. Consider one that was a service loaner even. I found one with 4K miles in excellent shape and have had great service on it.

:eek:
For a direct comparison to the X6M, the Model 3P is probably closest, it's also the one that you won't be able to get for a little bit, just depends on what you want.

Not sure I would agree with this I have had X5M and now X P100D ...both are heavier vehicles that are fast ..weight wise.... I can tow the M 3P and still Luda launch :eek:

I've had 2012 X6M right before i bought Tesla
Get Model X P100D, peroid
It has very similar driving characteristics, exterior weight and size
What you get is, twice as much usable space and extra performance

Even if you don't get a P, a 75D or 100D is still great. If you're happy w/ the X6M, then I think you'd like the overall form factor of the X. The 3 is just very different.

Only way to know for sure is to go on a test drive. They don't offer test drives on 3s but they do for an S and X. Just test drive both of those and see what you think. There is absolutely no better way to know which car is right for you without test driving. Besides, you wouldn't actually drop $100k on a car without test driving it anyway right? :p

Go out there and have fun and report back :D

• Informative
One's an SUV, one is a sedan. totally different beasts meant for different things.

I like the X because of the self presenting doors, and the falcon wing doors makes it easy to load carseats and kids. The nice panoramic windshield also helps.

For the same price, the Model 3 P will accelerate faster and have longer range, but with seating for 5 and much less storage and no dashboard display.

If you don't need the extra seating and/or storage capacity, the Model 3 dual-motor, long range, performance version is a good choice - and may only take an extra few months to get vs. a new Model X.

We had a reservation for a Model 3 - because we wanted our second Tesla (our other car is an S 100D) to be used primarily for my wife's work commute. We changed our minds, and decided we'd like the second Tesla to instead have the ability to hold 7 (when we have family visiting) and hold more storage (to support extended road trips), so we cancelled the Model 3 order and purchased an X 100D 3 weeks ago - and are satisfied we made the right decision.

The 3 looks like a great car - but we weren't ready to "downsize"... And while the falcon wing doors seemed more like a gimmick, now that we've had the X and used it during a family visit (with 7) and our first road trip, they've proven very useful.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasRat
The OP was comparing a 3P vs X - in that price range, would likely a comparison between a 3 LR D P vs. an X 75D.

If the OP wasn't concerned about price, then clearly purchasing an S P100D or X P100D would be the better choice - with performance, range and larger capacity...

• Love
@shiz what do you want in a vehicle?

1. Do you only need 5 seats?

2. How fast do you really want to get to 60? :)

3. How big are you? (optional answer here, lol), of all tesla vehicles the Model X is the easiest to get in and out of followed by the model 3 which actually has better ingress/egress than the s...and a bigger second row.

4. Do you need to travel with a lot with luggage?

5. Do you want to pay for supercharging? (model s & x are free with referral code)

6. Do you want the longest range possible? (stick with the 3 for incredible efficiency...)

7. What is your budget?

Thanks for all the input. It seems to me that many of u have had a longer history with Tesla either via the earlier models that helps solidify your decision. This will be my first EV, I have only test driven the p100d. Some things I didn’t like about the MX was: unacceptable loud noise while in ludi mode(the rep said it was the cooling), handling not quite like the X6m.

I have decided that I’ll keep the X6m for now since I still enjoy the ability to tow, carry cargo , drive in all kinds of weather and the ability to hear the wot sound of ICE.

I actually debated between c63 Amg coupe vs the m3P since I love the 6.3L engine . Maybe some day when they can get the refreshed MX that can not only accelerate and handle and come down in price , I might consider then or if I get bored of it, I’ll just get a Porsche . Ahh I’ve had too many cars already

X vs. 3 should be a question of if you need one vehicle size or form factor over another. You will never like a model 3 if you cannot haul people or things you need. You may be satisfied with an X if you get the P100D, but it will never be as fast as a P3D.