Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX "wakes up" randomly - I think

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I searched the forum for help on this, but the keywords I used took me to unrelated threads. I hope this isn't a dumb question, but here goes;

Is the car supposed to "wake up" randomly from time to time while parked at home (and plugged in)?

Like many new owners, from time to time I swing open the garage door to ensure it wasn't a dream and I really do own a Tesla. About a third of the time, the car's headlights are on (or they come on) and the dash shows "Charging Scheduled for 12:00am", but the touchscreen isn't on. I don't have the fob in my pocket when I do this and I even moved the fob to the other side of the house to ensure that wasn't triggering it. It's like the car is saying, "Hey. Don't worry. I'm still here and I'm plugged in." I'm not happy that the car is illuminating the garage randomly for a few seconds at a time, over and over. Is this normal? Are the sensors detecting me? I can't imagine what my neighbors must think...

Hey, thanks!

Yes. It has temperature settings that kick in that cool it off to prevent overheat (you can turn them off if you want)
There is also a learning where you are going that will pre condition the car, it sees your calendar as well as your driving pattern.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: Dinosaver
We had problems with where we keep our keys (about 6ft away from the X, through a double brick wall), the Model X kept waking up and unlocking.

Actually went as far as calling Tesla the first night we saw this (the X is in a car port, so we don't like it being unlocked), they recommended moving the key farther away, which worked, but of course is a bit of a pain.

Wound up picking up an RF blocking pouch from Amazon: Amazon.com : Signal Tactics Key Fob Faraday Bag - Military-grade auto theft and anti-hacking security bag! Shield your key fob from duplication and the auto "relay hack" with this signal shielding faraday bag! : Camera & Photo Works perfectly for keeping the key near the car without it unlocking all the time.

-Harry

I know a few owners who just drop their fob into an empty tin can. Low tech & effective.

Screen Shot 2017-04-23 at 6.29.48 PM.png

Reactions: hiroshiy and Cowby