Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX won’t connect to WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MX has always been connected to WiFi when it’s home. Never a problem. Recently the app tells me that there’s an update available but I need to connect to WiFi. I suspected some sort of glitch with the network connection. So I “forgot”the network connection and attempted to login to WiFi to get a fresh connection. After entering my credentials, I get a long pause and it tells me that it couldn’t acquire an ip address and to check my DHCP settings. As far as I know, my DHCP server is working fine. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

i would reset your wifi/modem/router as well. A couple of times mine wouldn't connect to wifi, and even though all other of my devices were working fine (I have extensive wifi devices throughout my smarthome), the reset fixed the issue

Edit: thought I should add that a coupe years ago my Model S stopped connecting to wifi. I tried resetting everything, and nothing worked. I figured out my router (Asus ZenWifi AX) had recently updated its firmware. It turned out the firmware update broke connectivity on my MS, even though all other devices worked fine. I rolled back the firmware and it fixed the issue. I should note the MS had MCU1, which only connects to 2.4Ghz

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
My router automatically resets every Sunday morning which means that it reset this morning. I have seen this message about the update for a few days but just now got around to looking into it. But I will reboot the router again anyway.

Good idea to reboot the car too. We’ve also been experiencing odd behavior recognizing both key fobs recently as well. Maybe a reboot of the car will help both issues.

This is weird, my MX also started having this issue (unable to obtain IP address) even though it's been connected with no issues for I would say past couple year. Like the post above, doing a reset worked...for a bit until I lose access again and need to reboot the whole car. Has happened already 2 times in the past week. Haven't tried rebooting my routers, but will do so the next time this happens. Wanted to post here just in case anyone else is also having issues.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200