Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX XPEL seat backs. Worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just make sure your driver's seat doesn't wobble before having it installed. Had mine installed day after delivery. First time driving the X back from work, I noticed a wobble in the driver's seat. Searched this forum and heard people had their seat replaced to fix it. Now waiting to hear how my SC will deal with it (live 200kms away from closest SC) and they say the installer should cover cost to put back xpel. Installer says Tesla should cover cost to reinstall. Me stuck in the middle.

Tesla service rep also wants me to drive it back there! I was told that they could send people to my city to address problems, now that I've owned the car for a whole 5 days, I'm getting a whole different story. Either sales team doesn't speak for service team or they'll tell you what you want to hear to get you to buy.

Just make sure your driver's seat doesn't wobble before having it installed. Had mine installed day after delivery. First time driving the X back from work, I noticed a wobble in the driver's seat. Searched this forum and heard people had their seat replaced to fix it. Now waiting to hear how my SC will deal with it (live 200kms away from closest SC) and they say the installer should cover cost to put back xpel. Installer says Tesla should cover cost to reinstall. Me stuck in the middle.

Tesla service rep also wants me to drive it back there! I was told that they could send people to my city to address problems, now that I've owned the car for a whole 5 days, I'm getting a whole different story. Either sales team doesn't speak for service team or they'll tell you what you want to hear to get you to buy.
Oy that sucks. Tell them to send a flat bed with a loaner like they used to do a lot. Its not worth the extra 200km each way.

Don't forget the back of third row head rests to be included in your Expel.
Thanks! It comes in the kit on XPEL.com.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 5.35.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-10 at 5.35.22 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 147

Tesla warranty says they will tow up to 500 miles free for warranty claims. Put your foot down (just not on the throttle).

• Funny
Reactions: Gymee and K-MTG
When I had issues and wanted them to pick up the car to take to the SC and give me a loaner, they wanted $100 for the ranger. Where can I show them this for next time?
I checked and found I was a little off on my statement.:oops: It's in the updated Roadside Policy, but the car must be undriveable (my driver's door latch failure counted). Looks like a rocking seat may not qualify.

"For vehicles that are not drivable due to a vehicle malfunction, and the vehicle malfunction is due to a warrantable issue, transportation services are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center."

Yeah, Tesla's not going to tow or Valet it without being paid for that service, unfortunately.

On topic, I swore I'd wrap the backs of my seats, but in something cheaper than XPEL like 3M wrap. However, I had one seat replaced and while I waited on that, I found that the seat backs were doing just fine for us as-is. Three months in, and they look great, no issues. My kids are pretty good about keeping their feet off, though, and aren't toddlers anymore. So YMMV.

On @K-MTG's issue with the crack. It probably was related to folding the seats down. You tried folding the first row, didn't you?

Reactions: RKap
Yeah, Tesla's not going to tow or Valet it without being paid for that service, unfortunately.

On topic, I swore I'd wrap the backs of my seats, but in something cheaper than XPEL like 3M wrap. However, I had one seat replaced and while I waited on that, I found that the seat backs were doing just fine for us as-is. Three months in, and they look great, no issues. My kids are pretty good about keeping their feet off, though, and aren't toddlers anymore. So YMMV.

On @K-MTG's issue with the crack. It probably was related to folding the seats down. You tried folding the first row, didn't you?

It is actually a deep scratch on the first row passenger seat. The 2nd row seats don't fold so that can't be the cause, not sure how it happened. No kids sat in the car yet

Last Monday I sighed with relief when I realized the Xpel on the back of the second row passenger's side seat protected the seat from taking major damage. My son was egressing from the third row on the passenger's seat. A ceramic doll was placed in the middle seat and it seems its head kind of slid behind the back of the outward seat when it was moved forward to allow egress. Without me knowing my son pressed the button to have the seat go back with the doll's head still in between the seats. At one point the seat stopped moving backwards and I thought my son was fuddling with the button (they usually do that) so I pressed again and heard a crack and the seat struggling to move. I immediately stopped the seat and saw the face of the doll into pieces and whatever was left of the head attached to the body scratched the seat's back on its way forward. Once the seat stopped and the gap was big enough the doll's head rolled onto the floor.

When I inspected the back of the seats I noticed the back of the outward seat had a huge rip. Fortunately I applied Xpel to them not long after delivery. The gush seems to all be in the Xpel. The broken ceramic edge from the doll's face must have scratched the seat until the seat stopped. I've attached a picture (sorry for the blurriness but the damage is in a dark place and the camera is not happy focusing) I don't want to remove the wrap nor tear it anymore to check the state of the seat but I reckon there's at most a superficial scratch on the seat instead of a huge, deep scratch on it. And all thanks to the Xpel.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with it! The damage is on the leftmost bottom side of the seat and it is only noticeable if you know what to look for. Hence, I won't be rewrapping it any time soon.

One more note on Xpel: I had my brother and his family visit over the summer and I had 4 kids in the car (ages 2, 4 and 6). My kids are used to taking their shoes off but I couldn't force my brother's kids to do it all the time so I tried not to think of the possible damage to the back of the seats and just roll with the punches. We are back to normal with the family gone and I'm glad to report there's not a scratch on the seats. Mind my nephew was kicking the back with his shoes on more than once.

So overall, I would wrap the seats again if I had to do it and I now have peace of mind that it is doing its job.

Attachments

• Xpel.png
    Xpel.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 123
Should work. Let us know! Would love to hear how this works out.
Well it got heated, but two days later, some one from service emailed me to say that they'd order me a new seat. Once it's here they'll discuss how we'll get my car there. They said POSSIBLY a ranger. They won't pay for the xpel to be replaced.

So far no news on my trailer lights getting fixed but I did ask for them to make sure the electrical is working there.

My car is going into an auto show on Sunday...wish there wouldn't be a wobble for the show but since the car will be parked, most won't notice l.

Lol ohmman i had the same thought.

Glad to hear the xpel saved the seat back @Xtatic. My kids are older so rather than shoes and chucky doll events, my seat backs will need to contend with sports bags being dragged past them. xpel is on my list of to dos post delivery.

Although in the kiss and drop zone, i suppose i can use the boot (trunk) for the bags now i can remotely close it for my height challenged primary schooler.