Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX17 - FalconWing Door weather stripping deteriorating - Not covered by Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody feel applying some form of protectant would delay this process? Silicon? 303 products? Or the krytox mentioned above?

Unclear, but I doubt it. I suspect that this has to do with heat exposure to a bad batch of rubber with a poorly performing stabilizer in it, so it just turns back to molten goo. It seems like this is a pretty rare issue, so my plan is just to protect the car with the usual polymer based or ceramic sealant and hope for the best.

The rubber on my FWD’s are tacky and sticky toward the back side. I was examining it the other day and realized it was part of the entire door. It’s not terrible.....yet. The towel I was drying the car off with, left lint on it though and the rubber seems to be in the beginning stages of melting. My Model X is a 03/17 build and I live in Miami about 5 miles west of the Atlantic Ocean.

This just started happening to both my X90D (May-17 build) doors at around 29k miles. I originally bought the car in Ohio in Aug '17, but moved to Florida in Apr '18. I just noticed earlier this week that the weather stripping around both FWDs is cracking & basically turning to sticky goo.

I was actually just at the service center a month or so ago to replace my front door handles (driver side started to fail, they replaced both with new handles that are clearly an updated design). While I was in, I also got them to fix the acceleration shudder that I used to get when accelerating hard on normal suspension setting (Yes, they have a permanent fix for this now). I guess I'll be going back for this now...

Last edited:
Reactions: SigS483
I have the same issue with my MX2017 the rubber seal is deteriorated on both the falcon doors and SC is refusing to cover this in warranty and is charging me 2K bill.

I’ve had this done twice covered under warranty. The second time, they replaced the entire glass assembly.
1BD5E5D9-779D-417E-A6CC-FA9637C8A300.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: silverwolfe08
I had the same issue on my early 2018. Both sides glass replaced under warranty, no questions asked. When I got it back from the service center, I immediately applied Carpro DLux ceramic coating. I am almost certain that this is a design flaw and will happen again. Even with the coating on my rubber, I already see the lines on the center panel where the doors touch when fully open. Seems to get worse in hotter weather. In my area, it hits over 110 degrees on the hottest days of summer so I'm probably screwed in a matter of time.

Mine also started with the sticky, gummy stage, and quickly deteriorated to the seals falling apart. I have only ever used high-end water-based car wash and detailing products on the car. I have never let any petroleum-based products touch anything on my car.

I brought my car in to the service center in November 2019 to fix the shudder. I also have this deteriorating rubber seal issue and brought it to their attention. Initially the service center said they believed it wasn't covered under warranty and confirmed a fix would mean replacing the entire glass on my dime.

When I got the car back with the shudder gone, I asked again about the rubber seals over text. Here's what I asked:

Did we have an answer on whether the glass/rubber seal on the falcon wing doors can recovered under warranty?

And they said:

It is under investigation at this point. Tesla is producing a revision roof glass for the Falcon doors. It is currently unavailable. We are advising to reschedule for this concern after December when the revision parts are available.

So maybe there will be an official replacement part which may fix this issue, hopefully under warranty. A lot of maybes and what ifs, so hopefully there will be an answer soon.

Attachments

• IMG_9148.jpg
    IMG_9148.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Informative
Reactions: dogldogl and TechVP
I brought my car in to the service center in November 2019 to fix the shudder. I also have this deteriorating rubber seal issue and brought it to their attention. Initially the service center said they believed it wasn't covered under warranty and confirmed a fix would mean replacing the entire glass on my dime.

When I got the car back with the shudder gone, I asked again about the rubber seals over text. Here's what I asked:

Did we have an answer on whether the glass/rubber seal on the falcon wing doors can recovered under warranty?

And they said:

It is under investigation at this point. Tesla is producing a revision roof glass for the Falcon doors. It is currently unavailable. We are advising to reschedule for this concern after December when the revision parts are available.

So maybe there will be an official replacement part which may fix this issue, hopefully under warranty. A lot of maybes and what ifs, so hopefully there will be an answer soon.
Thanks for posting this! I hate that these X's have so many issues, but I'm always encouraged when they redesign parts to actually address the issue instead of just replacing. Recently had my front door handles replaced when one failed, and it was awesome to see them swap in a new design.

I just picked my X up from the dealer today with this same issue. The service center told me it was not covered under warranty. I showed them this thread and that other users have got this replaced under warranty but my tech was firm in that this was not covered. He attempted to tell me that this strip of rubber does not effect weather-proofing or sealing of the door at all to which I responded "then why does it exist in the first place" and he was speechless.. I think I will go to a different service center next time and try my luck again.

I just picked my X up from the dealer today with this same issue. The service center told me it was not covered under warranty. I showed them this thread and that other users have got this replaced under warranty but my tech was firm in that this was not covered. He attempted to tell me that this strip of rubber does not effect weather-proofing or sealing of the door at all to which I responded "then why does it exist in the first place" and he was speechless.. I think I will go to a different service center next time and try my luck again.
Picked it up like it is brand new? Or from an existing service issue?

The service center has told me this week that there was a change to the warranty. Apparently this was never covered under warranty. Previously they allowed the service centers to choose to replace the windows with the deteriorating seals under good will. Now apparently the warranty says even a good will replacement is not allowed.

There is a new revision as of February 2020.

The service center has told me this week that there was a change to the warranty. Apparently this was never covered under warranty. Previously they allowed the service centers to choose to replace the windows with the deteriorating seals under good will. Now apparently the warranty says even a good will replacement is not allowed.

There is a new revision as of February 2020.
Wow that's awful if true. Can anyone else validate? If true this might be the deal breaker from me on getting an X. If the shudder drama wasn't enough... dropping $2K every couple years for new seals out of pocket is absurd. Is there really no recommended fix? Some kind of seal protector?