Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX17 - FalconWing Door weather stripping deteriorating - Not covered by Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m having the same issue with the rubber strips on the fwd. Haven’t seen any I’ll effects from it.

I had the exact same issue with our 2004 BMW X5. The rubber strip between the windshield and the roof deteriorated the same way. It was a known issue that BMW never covered under warranty.

While I wholeheartedly believe Tesla should cover this... for those that are worried about their rubber seals (I'm not convinced Tesla didn't use substandard rubber), Krytox is a fantastic rubber treatment! (disclaimer: I do not work for, nor am I associated with, Krytox, or whomever makes/sells it in any way)

However, it's expensive and 'interesting' to apply!

To see posts like this makes me glad I live in the northern climate, as well as keeping it garaged! To the OP... I would try to escalate this and see if you can plead your case that this is 'unacceptable rubber degradation'. It looks to me like it's just a case of serious UV damage - but I'm not an expert!

Good luck! :cool:

I had read other threads about this and I ordered the Krytox and have applied it to my exposed rubber (since I am sheltering at home and have lots of time for projects) in hopes that it will slow down the deterioration of the rubber seals. It might be time for another treatment.

Mike P

Alright, Tesla replaced my FWD top weather stripping today via mobile service appointment under warranty!

So, a little history: I noticed my FWD weather stripping deteriorating on my May '17 Model X late last year. I scheduled a service appointment with the Orlando service center in Nov-19. They called me back to say they had to do that work in the shop since the roof glass also needed to be swapped out to fix the seals. Unfortunately, they had none in stock. They promised they'd call when some came in, of course they never called.

Fast forward to 2-weeks ago. I decided to give it another shot since I'm stuck working at home anyways. They again scheduled thru mobile. But to my surprise, they never called to cancel. The tech just showed up at my house early this morning. It was raining, but he was able to completely replace both roof glass + seals in my garage in under 1 hour. All covered under warranty.

He also claimed that the new parts SHOULD hold up much better. And he acknowledged they're doing a lot of these replacements for the same issue I have. But that only a couple techs felt comfortable doing them via mobile.

Alright, Tesla replaced my FWD top weather stripping today via mobile service appointment under warranty!

So, a little history: I noticed my FWD weather stripping deteriorating on my May '17 Model X late last year. I scheduled a service appointment with the Orlando service center in Nov-19. They called me back to say they had to do that work in the shop since the roof glass also needed to be swapped out to fix the seals. Unfortunately, they had none in stock. They promised they'd call when some came in, of course they never called.

Fast forward to 2-weeks ago. I decided to give it another shot since I'm stuck working at home anyways. They again scheduled thru mobile. But to my surprise, they never called to cancel. The tech just showed up at my house early this morning. It was raining, but he was able to completely replace both roof glass + seals in my garage in under 1 hour. All covered under warranty.

He also claimed that the new parts SHOULD hold up much better. And he acknowledged they're doing a lot of these replacements for the same issue I have. But that only a couple techs felt comfortable doing them via mobile.

Hi, what did you tell them to have the weather stripping done?

Hi, what did you tell them to have the weather stripping done?
I just took a few pictures and made an appointment via the app. I think I chose the "trim" category. I said that the exterior trim was deteriorating into a sticky goo. The tech gave me zero trouble about it which surprised me based on what I've seen here. I attached my invoice if that helps. Also, I have a 2017 Model X 90D w/about 32K miles on it.

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 431
How common is this issue? Is this an aesthetic issue, or is there a real potential for water ingress into the cabin?
Since no one replied to you: This is an aesthetic issue. And it appears to be very common for used Model X's. You can even see the issue on pictures of Model X's in Tesla's used inventory on-line. Though, I believe they fixed it on newer cars.

No water in the cabin. The actual seals are in a different place and are still working great as far as I can tell. The issue is this (rubber or plastic?) trim cover that rests on the top of the car to cover the gap between the roof of the falcon wing door and the rest of the car. It basically melts after a couple years and turns into a black goo. Looks terrible and gets black goo on your hands if you touch it.

I attached two pics. You can see the trim that's deteriorating on the edge of the door. But you can see the actual seals that keep weather out are farther in and still in good shape.

Attachments

• 20191103_150316.jpg
    20191103_150316.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 20191103_112349.jpg
    20191103_112349.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 368
I just took a few pictures and made an appointment via the app. I think I chose the "trim" category. I said that the exterior trim was deteriorating into a sticky goo. The tech gave me zero trouble about it which surprised me based on what I've seen here. I attached my invoice if that helps. Also, I have a 2017 Model X 90D w/about 32K miles on it.

I made an appointment for this issue for mobile tech via Burbank SC for July 5th. I am ready to fight them if they deny warranty replacement.

Well, as expected, Burbank SC denied warranty repair for this. Does anyone know how to schedule a mobile appt with a different SC? Seems that as soon as I put in my address, this ties me to Burbank. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I won arbitration with Tesla and they were ordered to repair failing seals under warranty. I was told by arbitration coordinator that Tesla will contact me within 30 days to arrange repair. We shall see.

Sad that you had to go through this process for something that is clearly a warranty repair. What a waste of everyones time.

Did Tesla give you any indication that you would not be able to purchase a Tesla in the future? This may be anecdotal, but someone in the Model S forum did arbitration for yellowing MCU and was banned for purchasing a new Tesla. This person was able to order, but right before delivery was scheduled they were notified that they would not sell to them. They might have been banned for other factors.

Sad that you had to go through this process for something that is clearly a warranty repair. What a waste of everyones time.

Did Tesla give you any indication that you would not be able to purchase a Tesla in the future? This may be anecdotal, but someone in the Model S forum did arbitration for yellowing MCU and was banned for purchasing a new Tesla. This person was able to order, but right before delivery was scheduled they were notified that they would not sell to them. They might have been banned for other factors.

No, but I wouldn't be surprised. But the way they have been servicing the cars, I am not planning on buying Tesla again anyway.

I had setup an appointment with an SC about 80 miles away from me due to appointment availability sooner than later and I had confirmed before hand via text messaging with the tech that this would be a warranty covered repair. Low and behold after hours in traffic early morning rush hour to get there well ahead of time, I was informed it wouldn’t be covered.

At this point I wonder if it would be worth it to pursue arbitration since there’s a good possibility that even if it were replaced that it would happen again anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: x_EL_x
This post is a good timing for me. I went to SC in July. They warranty covered the windshield cracked by itself and the yellow boadered display glass, but refused to replace the deteriorating falcon door weather striping. For the wind shield they agreed to cover after finding no sign of impact. For the yellow boarder, they tried first using UV light to bleach the color, but it still quite visible afterward. Then they replaced the "glass", which I guess is the touch screen digitizer. For the weather striping they said it was cosmetic, so not covering it. I think it does have the function to reduce wind noise. My X is a 2018. I also think they used substandard rubber. I never saw rubber used around a car passenger cabin disintegrated so quickly.

Interesting spin on this for me. I purchased a 2017 MX 90D at the end of July this year. When I got it home and the first time I washed it, I found these deteriorated seals as well. Had a few other issues come up so I scheduled service. But having read the concerns here, I reached out to the used sales team and said "hey are these warrantied?" They of course said no as I expected they would. I explained that I had read they were approximately $2500 to repair. But then questioned why weren't the $2500 in cosmetic damages disclosed to me? They post pictures of every little ding and paint chip, but no clear pictures of a $2500 part that is damaged? Still waiting to hear back from that one....

@jtrevill, first, you are asking the wrong people. Sales people can't be relied upon for service bulletin and warranty issues, any more than SC tech keep up with color and option availability. Might as well as the people at Burger King if your seals are warrantied. Ask the right people.

Yes, I agree with you. However, I wanted them to admit to me that they sold me a car with $2500 worth of cosmetic damage and didn't disclose it. Now that they've said that - and said its "Within Tesla's Standards" for a used vehicle, I feel I have a leg to stand on. Imagine if I'd found $2500 in body damage they tried to not show.