Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX17 - FalconWing Door weather stripping deteriorating - Not covered by Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2017 MX has same problem. Deterioration is on section of falcon wing doors on roof. Seems like it's sub standard rubber being destroyed by sun. The rubber seals on my 1969 Mercedes are holding up a lot better. I agree that this should be covered.

@jtrevill, first, you are asking the wrong people. Sales people can't be relied upon for service bulletin and warranty issues, any more than SC tech keep up with color and option availability. Might as well as the people at Burger King if your seals are warrantied. Ask the right people.

Disagree. Person who sold him the car represents Tesla. If they stopped covering the seals, they should have informed sales people so they can inform potential customer. If Tesla has communication issues or hires idiots as sales people, it is not customer’s problem.

@jtrevill, What's to be gained by an admission that they did not disclose something? Its not real estate, where that makes a difference.

How will "within Tesla standards" for a used vehicle make a difference for you?

I'm not against you. I hope they fix/change it for you. I just bouncing off you, what I think their position is ultimately going to be.

Disagree. Person who sold him the car represents Tesla. If they stopped covering the seals, they should have informed sales people so they can inform potential customer. If Tesla has communication issues or hires idiots as sales people, it is not customer’s problem.
Disagree that sales people are informed about service bulletins and warranty issues? Really? Not seen that in my lifetime. :)

"If Tesla has communication issues or hires idiots as sales people, it is not customer’s problem." Really? How do you sidestep that reality if your statement is accurate?

I'd expect to find documentation of what those acceptable standards are and find where they are provided to a customer purchasing a pre-owned vehicle. Given that this is acceptable to them, you could expect to find a brand new one with damaged weather stripping and they would not repair it.

The lack of disclosure is directly against their desire to notate everything you can expect to be flawed on a pre owned vehicle. They provide detailed photos because you cannot see/inspect a vehicle prior to selection. By not providing this defect, its is as if they are attempting to hide it. And then to discover its $2500 seems underhanded. If there was $2500 in body work, they would tell you. They even show you pictures of the tread level of the tires so you know if you need to expect the cost of new tires when you buy it. But they leave out a $2500 weather strip needed repair?

Had they said - here come test drive it and I got to pick from a parking lot of used vehicles, I pick what I get. But I don't. I paid for a car based upon their good will and belief they provided me accurate and detailed photos of its condition. On top of it, due to the dumb COVID rules, didn't even get to see anyone when I picked it up if I had found the flaw (on top of the car I couldn't even see).

@jtrevill, first, you are asking the wrong people. Sales people can't be relied upon for service bulletin and warranty issues, any more than SC tech keep up with color and option availability. Might as well as the people at Burger King if your seals are warrantied. Ask the right people.

Hmm, I dont agree with this. When I bought mine, I took up all the warranty issues with the Sales Advisor, when the SC declined to (UMC defective and tires), and had it escalated and they took care of it only when he intervened.

Reactions: Falcon73
Disagree that sales people are informed about service bulletins and warranty issues? Really? Not seen that in my lifetime. :)

"If Tesla has communication issues or hires idiots as sales people, it is not customer’s problem." Really? How do you sidestep that reality if your statement is accurate?

Well, you are not very experienced, are you? Tesla model is “all in one”. No independent dealer network, no competition, one solid “black box” of decision making. They used to cover deteriorating seals up until 2\20 and some centers still do. Some on the other hand try to charge customers $2500 while vehicle is still under warranty. I just went through arbitration with them and WON. So arbitrator agreed with me that this is warranty issue.

Yes, I stand by my assessment that SOME SAs are completely undertrained. Last time I tried to talk to one, the guy was arguing with me that model X seats are real leather.

Stop drinking cool aid and being an apologist for bad systems in place, bad policies and bad training. They need to dm better.

Not to be rude, but Akikiki you seem more like you are simply here to defend Tesla than to offer actual input toward a solution. I love my car, like Tesla and think these problems are everywhere... But defending something like this reeks of "fanboy"

Typical fanboy attitude: "Tesla can do no wrong. It's all your fault. They owe you nothing". Barf.

Since no one replied to you: This is an aesthetic issue. And it appears to be very common for used Model X's. You can even see the issue on pictures of Model X's in Tesla's used inventory on-line. Though, I believe they fixed it on newer cars.

No water in the cabin. The actual seals are in a different place and are still working great as far as I can tell. The issue is this (rubber or plastic?) trim cover that rests on the top of the car to cover the gap between the roof of the falcon wing door and the rest of the car. It basically melts after a couple years and turns into a black goo. Looks terrible and gets black goo on your hands if you touch it.

I attached two pics. You can see the trim that's deteriorating on the edge of the door. But you can see the actual seals that keep weather out are farther in and still in good shape.

Thanks so much for the response on this one! Been really scratching my head super hard to figure out if I want to get the best of depreciation (MX P90DL) or the best of new tech (Model Y Stealth Performance).

Ugh... such a decision!

Thanks so much for the response on this one! Been really scratching my head super hard to figure out if I want to get the best of depreciation (MX P90DL) or the best of new tech (Model Y Stealth Performance)!

The Model Y, stealth performance is no longer orderable. I was thinking about that one too. There may be some still in the inventory list.

Attachments

• 9D56023B-9AE8-460D-866B-4144A56D8F7F.jpeg
    9D56023B-9AE8-460D-866B-4144A56D8F7F.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 243
I'm in the process of encouraging my local SC to replace the two windows (TRIM) on my 17X instead of forcing me to go the arbitration route.

So far they're being less than helpful and it has only lead to them not replying to any SMS.

I love the Tesla Product, I think the man behind it all is Einstein of our times. However I really don't understand how the SH*T Customer service leads into the equation. When interacting with service, it's almost as if they're told to provide a poor CS experience. And last I checked you can't change what a warranty does and doesn't cover from a previous sale.

Lol. They could care less. Don’t waste your time. Start arbitration.

read this:
I'm in the process of encouraging my local SC to replace the two windows (TRIM) on my 17X instead of forcing me to go the arbitration route.

So far they're being less than helpful and it has only lead to them not replying to any SMS.

I love the Tesla Product, I think the man behind it all is Einstein of our times. However I really don't understand how the SH*T Customer service leads into the equation. When interacting with service, it's almost as if they're told to provide a poor CS experience. And last I checked you can't change what a warranty does and doesn't cover from a previous sale.

Hi there, please share if you were you successful in getting this covered under the warranty without taking them to arbitration or if you had to go through arbitration. If you did go to arbitration, did you get a ruling in your favor? I have the same issue on a used 2017 MX which I bought after being on the receiving end of an accident totaling my last 2017 MX. Both my previous and current MX were used coming out of CA originally and had this issue. My last MX had the work covered under warranty just 3 months ago before my accident, now the SC is giving me the run around for a $2.5k repair on basically the same vehicle in the same situation (year, miles, and trim all basically the same).

Lol. They could care less. Don’t waste your time. Start arbitration.
Can you provide details about how the arbitration process works? Did you have a make some sort of case? Never done something like that before so just curious to learn from your experience. Thank you ahead of time :)

Hi there, please share if you were you successful in getting this covered under the warranty without taking them to arbitration or if you had to go through arbitration. If you did go to arbitration, did you get a ruling in your favor? I have the same issue on a used 2017 MX which I bought after being on the receiving end of an accident totaling my last 2017 MX. Both my previous and current MX were used coming out of CA originally and had this issue. My last MX had the work covered under warranty just 3 months ago before my accident, now the SC is giving me the run around for a $2.5k repair on basically the same vehicle in the same situation (year, miles, and trim all basically the same).

Can you provide details about how the arbitration process works? Did you have a make some sort of case? Never done something like that before so just curious to learn from your experience. Thank you ahead of time :)

Here is an update summary from another thread: (posted earlier today)

"
This has been such a headache of an issue for me and my X. 2017 P100D, both top seals are horrible, and most has rubbed away.

I made a service request for this issue mid-Dec, and was invoiced $2400. I got local service on the phone and explained that this clearly is a warranty issue, and also referenced several threads about it. They replied stating it wasn't it's cosmetic and there was nothing they could do. Unwilling to fork out $2400 on this, I 'forget' about it for the time being.

Early Jan, I have another issue w/ the car, and have mobile tech come out to replace my charging port. He visibly inspects the car and tells me without a doubt, 100% that the FWD seals are covered under warranty. He takes my number and assures me he will call me and help setup an appt to replace. Never heard from him again.

Fast forward to May 2nd, tons of rain, waiting in car, and drip drip I hear. crawl into the back of the cabin, and both sides are leaking. Take photos, send another request, and receive next business day an email stating they've ordered both top glass pieces. (have yet to have the work done)

SUPER FRUSTRATING for a $140k car, first to look like it has, but then to have to wait until visibly water is entering the vehicle, to get their attention. And on top to have an experienced service technician (who normally just works IN the shop) tell me that it is fully covered and was a bit surprised I told him I was having an issue getting it taken care of. The tech is awesome, the vision is great, the customer service is worse than being treated by a low end dealership

"

Reactions: njhtran
My 2016 Signature P90D had the same thing. The rubber basically deteriorated to black goo. Previous owner thought it was "grease" from the doors which was depositing on the roof. Tesla mobile service out of Boise replaced both FWD roof glass panels under warranty. Mine were so bad I couldn't even wash the car without ruining a wash mitt permanently.
I'm at Tesla now trying to get my weather stripping replaced and they said they won't replace it any longer. Did you have yours replaced within the first year you bought it?

The service manager mentioned some Tesla document saying they are not to cover them any longer. I'm wondering if anyone can find that or if there's someone in upper mgt at corporate that can escalate this. I too cannot wash my car without ruining my wash mit.