Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX60D - shows >5% battery degradation after 14K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently calibrated the battery, took it down to 5% before charging full, range shows 190 miles after full charge. Purchased the car late Dec last year. My charging/driving habits:

-Charges mostly at home with 13A/240V to 90 - 100% charge
-No more than three extended road trips super charging and occupationally local super charging
-Replaced charge controller within the first 1,000 miles due to a fault code

Understand that the warranty doesn't cover battery degradation, but at this rate, my range is going to be less than 150 miles in a few years.

Is this real battery degradation or "software" degradation? Have not upgraded to 75D, holding out...

It difficult to say if it is all software degradation or battery degradation as you state it, maybe it’s a bit of both.

Just remember that all current data shows that the degradation is non linear. You should see the biggest loss in the first year or so, then the curve will level out.
So 150 miles in a few years should not be likely, according to the general consensus on degradation.

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus and Rocky_H

You have to charge it to 100% to balance your battery out.
The main problem with a 60 is that you can't charge it to 100% (75kw) only to 85% phisically, because your battery is softver limited so you can't balance it out yourself at home, maybe in the SC they can make a battery balance for you

sorry for my English I'm from Europe...

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
Understand that the warranty doesn't cover battery degradation, but at this rate, my range is going to be less than 150 miles in a few years.
Not saying your perceived degradation is real or not, but what you state is not correct. Degradation is not linear. Any degradation that happens will be highest in the first year or so and then will taper off quite a bit.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Good observation on the software limitation, 100% is physically not possible. However, is the 60kW used across all the battery cells or groups of battery cells that add up to 60kW? If it's the latter, thought my 60D can only charged up to ~80% of the pack, which means my degradation shouldn't be this obvious.

Did read up on the non-linearity of the battery degradation. Really hope that holds true, as a first time EV owner, seeing an obvious drop raises my blood pressure.

Recently calibrated the battery, took it down to 5% before charging full, range shows 190 miles after full charge. Purchased the car late Dec last year. My charging/driving habits:

-Charges mostly at home with 13A/240V to 90 - 100% charge
-No more than three extended road trips super charging and occupationally local super charging
-Replaced charge controller within the first 1,000 miles due to a fault code

Is this real battery degradation or "software" degradation? Have not upgraded to 75D, holding out...
Your conclusions are meaningless because your data is garbage. Displayed range is an estimate based on multiple subjective factors including driving style. It is by no means accurate enough to determine battery degradation. You're trying to measure millimeters with a yard stick.

Your conclusions are meaningless because your data is garbage. Displayed range is an estimate based on multiple subjective factors including driving style. It is by no means accurate enough to determine battery degradation. You're trying to measure millimeters with a yard stick.

Point taken. Next steps

1) Will request print out of battery health at the next service appointment
2) Keep track of percentage drops and wH consumed per trip
3) Record kWh charged back to the car with revenue grade meter; convert to %

Wish I can just hack into it: Tesla, please stop making up specifications... | wk057's SkieNET...

The degradation can also be inconsistent as well. Both of these cars are used in the same manner - varying weather conditions, daily use. Both get charged to 100% on long drives, and 90% otherwise.

Both cars have build dates that are within a month of each other.

AP2 S 75D - 0 degradation after 15,000 miles.
AP2 X 75D - 3.5% degradation after 10,000 miles.

I don't really know why one is different from the other...

Tiger and eye.surgeon are giving you incorrect information. Driving style or history have NOTHING to do with the rated miles displayed on the battery meter. It’s the range on the EPA test cycle. Period. Full stop. I can’t believe this misinformation is still being spread on TMC almost five years after the Model S was introduced.

It’s winter now. That will account for some of the range “loss” people are seeing.

Tiger and eye.surgeon are giving you incorrect information. Driving style or history have NOTHING to do with the rated miles displayed on the battery meter. It’s the range on the EPA test cycle. Period. Full stop. I can’t believe this misinformation is still being spread on TMC almost five years after the Model S was introduced.

It’s winter now. That will account for some of the range “loss” people are seeing.

Minor adjustment. While the miles indicated is based on the EPA test cycle, there is BMS calibration. I have seen my car increase in mileage calculation before - speculating that it's due to re-balancing. But you are correct that it does not take into account your driving style which affects your wh/mi displayed.

The main problem with a 60 is that you can't charge it to 100% (75kw) only to 85% phisically, because your battery is softver limited so you can't balance it out yourself at home, maybe in the SC they can make a battery balance for you

I thought the BMS balance the cells at any SOC level when charging.
Of course there exist cheap BMSs that start balancing only when charged to nearly full.
Refer to video here

This is not correct. The BMBs will continue to balance the cells even after you finish charging. Also, I seldom charge to 100% and all my bricks are within 4 mv of each other.

That was my original impression. Is there a good overview of the rated miles?

On a related note, my car is in the service center, should get feedback on the battery health. Interestingly, the car's battery went down to 3% while parked waiting to be serviced, now it shows 191 vs. 189 at 100% charge.