Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXLR rejected, Loveland, CO - mild pressure and mild BSing from the SA to take it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been waiting about 1 year for delivery for a 5 seat MXLR. Got a vin assigned last week and made appointment for 3pm on the 23rd. Wife and I decided to go look at the car in the lot on the 22nd. Got up to Loveland and went in the dealer, the SA looked us up and said "hi Im XXXX ill be the guy doing your appointment tomorrow"

us: "Great, we just want to look at it before delivery tomorrow we are excited"
him: "OK, but its probably dirty from delivery but its an open lot, I cant stop u walking around and finding your car and looking at it, just dont sit in it”
us: "Ummmm. OK". Slightly odd interaction, as if we were breaking the rules by looking at cars on the lot, but he was pleasant enough :) We followed his rules and looked but didnt sit in it..

Found the car in the lot, mechanic has just plugged it in and said we could look at it all we wanted. It was dirty from delivery, so I only made a brief inspection but found numerous panel issues. Background note: I have restored multiple cars and aircraft over the years and owned multiple car brands at, above and below this price point. I do have enough background to know what would be an "easy" fix or a tough fix, even for a body shop, based on my body shop experience.

1. Drivers door "out" about an 1/8" at the waistline trim both the front and rear...but bottom of door and glass "OK" (level). This would be a difficult fix...sucking in the front top hinge and latch would cure the issue, but would pull the glass in waaaay too tight.

2. Looking at car from front, looking at where the "roof" (piece between the two FWD doors) meets the glass was "up" about an 1/8" on the drivers side and level on the passenger side. I have no clue if that center spine/roof piece is welded on, clipped on, or bonded on? Either way it was attached crooked. I would not personally know how to fix this.

3. Looking from the back of the car, there is a 60" wide by 3" tall strip that runs across the back of the car on the outside...this one was wavy AF and on the drivers side was even w the FWD and on the passenger side it was down 1/4". Again, no clue if this piece is clipped, bonded or welded on....but it was wavy enough and poorly attached it looked like they had trouble getting it. I had no clue how to fix this.

4. Both FWD doors opened and closed correctly, however, the driver side cleared the spine/roof in the open position by approx 1/32 (good). The pass side rear of the FWD impinged/rubbed on the spine/roof (not so good). I*probably* could have fixed this my removing the interior panel and repositioning the glass alone (I understand there is a certain amount of slop available).

There were a couple of other pre delivery MXs on the lot and sadly neither of them showed these issues (tho we couldn’t inspect them as thoroughly.)

We left and discussed on way home and decided to reject it. My wife was disappointed, but I can't justify 120k for a car that looks like it came of a 70's British Leyland production line (Im expat British). My primary concern would be their ability to correct these problems post sale. They aren’t a body shop. And I don’t want to work on my new car.

I went back up for delivery next day (23rd) alone as I knew I was going to reject. SA dude from day before was very chipper, car was parked outside looking very clean and well presented. I said I wanted to inspect again now its clean. He was fine with that and unlocked it.

It was actually more difficult to see the same issues I mentioned above now that it was all shiny, but nothing had been adjusted. I also found an additional door seal issue on the passenger FWD, it looked like the seal had come “untucked”. Nothing in the interior shouted out at me and I didn’t bother running thru anything else on the check list.

Went in and told him I wanted to pass on this VIN. He seemed genuinely surprised and asked me to show him the problem areas. This is where it got interesting…he summoned over his SA buddy (didn’t catch the guys title/name) who “knows a lot more about the MX than I do” (his words).

We went outside and I pointed out the issues….they made a little show of not being able to see what I was pointing out numerous times (dude…this panel IS QUARTER INCH DOWN….my blind 14 yr old Labrador could see this) and then I mentioned my background.

Long story short:

• SA buddy agreed they would have a hard time correcting these issues post sale as they aren’t a body shop (thanks for your honesty)
  • SA buddy said “this is all within tolerance though” (dude, you’re losing me)
  • SA buddy said “you can pass, but the next one might be worse" (thanks for your honesty again)
  • SA buddy said (and this is the most hilarious part) “well once you get to this price point, cars are hand built, I mean robot built, so its within tolerances” (dude….I’m out).
Told them I was gonna pass, and they respected my decision, so I’m back in line.

Overall, I was saddened by the experience (saddened for Tesla and as a shareholder). It felt like a typical car dealer interaction (tho much lighter pressure), with them pushing to try to get me to take a sub standard car. I couldn’t tell if they had really never took a look around a Lexus or Benz lot to see if “cars at this price point” all exhibit panel issues or if they were just BSing…sadly the latter I think.

For anyone in the northern CO front range , if you have a blue MXLR 5 seater, vin ending in 2021, I hope it works for you!

95907F49-CCB8-4722-83D0-DD16545169A7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Got any pictures?

Your #2 and #4 are deal breakers to me because they impact the mobility of the falcon wings. Sounds like you did the right thing. But I’m interested to see visuals of your #3 and #1 to compare to small imperfections on mine:

Example:
“1. Drivers door "out" about an 1/8" at the waistline trim”

1. Drivers door "out" about an 1/8" at the waistline trim both the front and rear...but bottom of door and glass "OK" (level). This would be a difficult fix...sucking in the front top hinge and latch would cure the issue, but would pull the glass in waaaay too tight.
The angle of the glass can be easily adjusted as well as the door.

I can't justify 120k for a car that looks like it came of a 70's British Leyland production line (Im expat British). My primary concern would be their ability to correct these problems post sale. They aren’t a body shop. And I don’t want to work on my new car.
That's a pretty harsh assessment. BL build quality was legendary, and not in a good way.

My M3P isn't perfect (in fact, the body gaps in most cases are tighter on my wife's Chevy Equinox) but maybe I just got lucky and didn't roll snake-eyes.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don’t see the OP ever getting a Tesla and being happy with it… two of my neighbors have new model Xs and the types of gaps described are pretty normal on their cars also.
That's a little harsh, people should reject every one of these BS cars until Tesla invests in QC. Pushing it off onto SC's is bad business and shows their immaturity as a car company.

Here's another MX gem:

Last edited:
Don't give up @metoo2 Teslas are hit or miss but they can make great ones. I got an EOQ (March, 2022) car and I was super nervous and went to the delivery expecting to reject it. But after crawling all over it for 30 minutes it was in amazing shape. The only issues were the mask on the PRND console buttons was scratched so you could see the "N" even when it was not backlit and the rear hatch was a little high on the right side where it met the FWD. It was an easy swap of that PRND unit post sale and adjustment of the rear hatch.

I took it to my detailer for a going over and paint correction and he said it was in stunning shape and on par with any German car, except maybe Porsche.

Bottom line for Tesla vs other manufacturers, is that the ONLY thing that Wall Street cares about is # of vehicles produced and # of vehicles delivered. So everyone at Tesla is incentivized to produce and deliver cars no matter what. Even if it costs them more to fix in the field vs at the factory, they will ship the car. So vehicles that would normally have stayed at the factory to be reworked are shipped.

You are spending a fortune for a car. You are the customer and Tesla needs you, not the other way around. Hold firm and only buy a car that you feel is worth what you are paying for it.

That's a little harsh, people should reject every one of these BS cars until Tesla invests in QC. Pushing it off onto SC's is bad business and shows their immaturity as a car company.

Here's another MX gem:

Here's another MX gem:
Not trying to be harsh… just saying they probably won’t be happy with the next one either.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
For extra funsies I've been in "same VIN rematch" purgatory for the last week. The SA's said they would unmatch the VIN that day and my account would be on hold for a day or two so I wouldn't get rematched to the same VIN. The app showed I was unmatched right away with a new EDD for sometime mid December. 24h goes by, *POOF* get rematched to the same VIN. Of course, can't actually communicate with anyone at Tesla, so I drove up to Loveland to ask them to unmatch me again. Spoke to the SA "assistant"(?) who spoke to someone in the back that they had to put a request into the district manager to get the match removed...if they were to remove the match it would cancel my order. So, one week later, I'm still rematched to the same VIN. Whats really interesting is that somehow the app also set a new pick up date for me on Dec 10th!

I'm just going to let it all sit for now. I'm assuming at point someone up there will be like "why has this X been sitting on the lot for a few weeks?" and action may get taken. I'm also laying down an odds on bet for $1 with my wife that the order will indeed get canceled. I will report back when (a) VIN gets unmatched or (b) entire order gets canceled.

This is comical.

I will be looking to buy another EV in early '23 having owned a '21 MY am considering buying another,
but so afraid of problems described here is keeping me from making a final decision.
I currently own a '22 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD and knew when I went to pick it up that in all likelyhood
fit and finish would be high quality. It was indeed perfect, with paint and fit well above Tesla quality,
and for a much lesser price.
I would like another MY, but have been looking at other ev's that all cost less and have higher quality throughout.
My main target currently is a '23 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD. So many additional features Tesla doesn't even offer are included.
such as heated/ventilated seats, AR head-up display, 360 surround cameras, power sunroof and more.
MSRP on the EV6 is under $54k. EPA estimated range is 310 miles.
Just my 2 cents.

I feel really lucky with my X. I might have them adjust the hatch but overall it's tight and without any alignment issues and the doors work great.

OP good luck with the next one. They can do a great job but you're going to have to get lucky.

I can't believe the QA guys still gets to keep their job. I got my Austin built Y with 15 cosmetic issues... most of them were fixed and after going back and forth with SC, i gave up..
The QA people may be excellent but are overridden by production Managers that ship everything that comes off the line. There was an X in the delivery thread that had a variety of black and white interior panels in the same car. They shipped it and made the SC fix it. Again, see my post above. No one in power at Tesla that cares about initial quality because they are not paid to do so. Tesla's stock price is set solely based on the number of vehicles produced and delivered and so that is what they maximize.

This will not change until people vote with their wallets by rejecting substandard cars or buying from a competitor. As long as Tesla's order books are full nothing will change.

But to reiterate what I said above, Tesla can and does make great cars. You just have to hold their feet to the fire. It also helps to have a relationship with your delivery center staff (or pick up in the Midwest where people are nicer ;) ).

Reactions: anapon