Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXM4 18" OEM Tires Acoustic vs. Green??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, if this info has been posted I apologize. Did a search and couldn't find an answer.

I read on one thread that the OEM 18" tires on the M3 all come with foam inside for quite a while now and this is denoted on the tire with an 'Acoustic' logo on the sidewall. I checked my tires (SR+ purchased end of May last year) and I don't have the 'Acoustic' logo. Mine say 'Green'. So my first question is do I have the foam inside or not?

Second question; is the tire sealant that comes in the Tesla Tire Repair kit useless for tires with the foam inside??? I would prefer a source if anyone's got one. If the sealant is useless, I've got half a mind to go back to them and demand a refund. That stupid thing was NOT cheap and I would be PISSED if I didn't find out that little tidbit until I were on the road with a flat. . . .

Ok. I’m an idiot. Found the ‘Acoustic’ logo when I used a stronger flashlight. It’s smaller than I thought it was. Didn’t see the TO, but didn’t keep looking after I found the acoustic logo.

However, back to the second part of my question, is it *confirmed* that tire sealant won’t work on acoustic tires??

Tesla OEM Tire repair kit has a can of sealant. However, repair kit description says, "Damaged tire should be replaced, along with the TPMS sensor, at your earliest convenience."
Yes, but there are several people here who claim that the sealant in the Tesla Repair Kit will not work on tires with acoustic foam like the stock MXM4 tires have. The conventional wisdom is that the foam will prevent the sealant from getting to the puncture.

I don’t want the time to confirm this to be when I’m in the middle of nowhere with a flat that I can’t fix.

Yes, but there are several people here who claim that the sealant in the Tesla Repair Kit will not work on tires with acoustic foam like the stock MXM4 tires have. The conventional wisdom is that the foam will prevent the sealant from getting to the puncture.

I don’t want the time to confirm this to be when I’m in the middle of nowhere with a flat that I can’t fix.
Did you read the Model 3 owner's manual? Does it say anything about it in the tire and maintenance section?
The "several people" you mentioned, are they sharing their opinion or what Tesla recommends?

Did you read the Model 3 owner's manual? Does it say anything about it in the tire and maintenance section?
The "several people" you mentioned, are they sharing their opinion or what Tesla recommends?
The manual only mentions that 3rd party sealant may damage the tire pressure sensors. It makes no mention of sealant with regards to actual tire models. And while the MXM4 model is referenced as the stock tire for the 18” wheel, there’s no mention of acoustic foam.

The whole reason I made this thread was to get hard info about this issue. So far it’s all anecdotal.