Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MXP90DL- Having to turn Ludicrous+ on every time I "start" my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I have recently noted that I have to turn on Ludicrous + (Max Battery Power) every time I restart my car- is this normal? We have a 2016 P90DL. I took a friend for a ride the other day after the car sat for a few hours and had to wait 20 mins for the battery to warm up to demonstrate a proper launch mode 0-60. I seem to recall that the car would stay in Max Battery Power mode once I selected it whenever I would get in and drive. Now it defaults back to Ludicrous on the next startup even if I was driving in Ludicrous + with the battery fully warmed up. Does anyone know how I can stay in Max Battery Power all of the time?

Thanks,
Franc

Mine does the same thing so guessing it was designed that way?

On a somewhat related note, have you ever seen the "I want my mommy" dialog appear when selecting Ludicrous+? I personally have never seen that dialog. Just curious if all 16 MX P90DL's are the same in this regard.

On a somewhat related note, have you ever seen the "I want my mommy" dialog appear when selecting Ludicrous+? I personally have never seen that dialog. Just curious if all 16 MX P90DL's are the same in this regard.

I have never seen that dialog box on mine but I did see it on a 2016 MX with Ludicrous that I rented back in 2017. Maybe it was phased out with the various updates?

@ckoval7, it makes sense that it's not healthy for the battery to be extra warm all of the time but the flip side of requiring reactivation is that you have to wait for the full performance every time you restart. My wife usually drives it in Sport acceleration so it's really just when it's me driving. If it was just a few minutes, not a big deal. But waiting 20 mins+ for a trip that may only last 15 mins doesn't make sense. Defeats the purpose of having such an expensive upgrade. True that ICE vehicles have to warm up too but certainly not as long as that.

I assume it's because it's cold outside. For max power or to enable launch the battery needs to be warm.

So did the car function at all or you were just unable to activate a launch? I havent tried to launch mine while the battery was really cold but I assume it's to protect it.

If it's really cold out it takes about 45 minutes sometimes for me to see max battery out of mine.

I live in Miami and our MX is black so it's usually pretty warm! I'm willing to accept reduced available mileage and some battery degradation for having the ability to decide whether I want the max battery power on as soon as I start the car.

Has anyone else been able to figure out how to keep max battery power on?

If I go through the easter egg screen to turn on Ludicrous mode it shows that. The funny thing is it seems to be giving you a choice at that point, but either way you get Ludicrous mode. lol

same here, battery heating shuts off after getting out of car. i'm actually thankful for that. sometimes i forget to slide it off. i can't imagine how much battery drain there would be having it warmed up all the time. plus the fan makes so much noise while preheating, I have to shut it off the last 2 minutes before getting home so it calms down by the time i go in the garage.

i have also never seen the dialog other than [max battery power]