Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My #1 Feature Request Category: Parking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mt09

Dec 11, 2018
IL
I've come to realize almost all my feature requests revolve around parking. I'm not sure if Tesla is banking on autonomy making all this manual human parking old news or if they feel the current feature set checks the relevant boxes and is good enough. I will say though the rear camera resolution is probably still the highest resolution compared to any other automaker.

1. Additional Cameras in UI
This one is pretty obvious and one area they're lagging behind on. Elon has tweeted on multiple occasions about adding extra cameras to the UI so I hope it's coming sooner than later.
Either transform the repeater cameras to a birds eye view (BEV) or just show the raw feeds along with the rear cam. Yes, the camera configuration does not cover 360 deg but does covers a wide enough radius to be useful for reversing. Something, anything is better than what's currently available considering the cameras are already there.

2. Ultrasonic Object Tracking
When pulling in straight into a parking stall, the ultrasonics will pick up the curb but as you get closer it will drop off since it's too low and out of range. So you have to guess how much further you can move. Well it was just at 24in so I can probably inch up a bit more. It would be great if the last known distance could be cached after it falls off the ultrasonic range and then updated based on wheel position. I can imagine it being a faint gray ghost line of the last known position that continues to update based on the wheel position sensor. Have you ever looked at the odometer reading reported by the API? The precision goes out to six digits in miles! That's 0.063 inch (1.6mm) of resolution and that's just reported values. There are inaccuracies with wheel size, inflation, tread wear, etc. but even at 5% error, that's only about a half inch over 12 inches, more than acceptable IMO.

3. Parking Accelerator Precision Mode
If you've used either Hold or Roll mode in reverse when you're close to obstacles you know it's a game of feathering the accelerator. I think it would be great if there was an option to remap the accelerator when using these modes. I don't need to go 0-60 in 3.2 seconds in reverse. The motors definitely have precise control to position accurately enough without the need for creep. You know how it goes to the top down view when you're below a certain speed and after you stop, the Start Autopark button will sometimes show up? I can imagine another button in this view like Enable Parking Control that will toggle this increased accelerator precision. It will remain enabled until toggled off so the driver can toggle it off with certainty. Seems like the best implementation so it doesn't unknowingly jump back to the full mapping range without direct user intention.

4. Autopark Vision Mode
Now getting into the autonomy features: auto park based on parking stall lines. Currently Autopark uses only ultrasonic feedback. Hopefully this move towards vision will become a feature as part of the "reverse smart summon" release.

What are your thoughts on parking features?

1. Additional Cameras in UI
Something very simple to implement to avoid curb rash would be to have the side camera
(the one located between the wheel and the front door)
to be added to the central display side by side with the rear camera.

To avoid curb rash, you can use your right left view mirror, which moves a little bit toward the ground when in Reverse,
but you cannot look at the rear camera display and the right mirror at the same time.

Reactions: Puddles
Something very simple to implement to avoid curb rash would be to have the side camera
(the one located between the wheel and the front door)
to be added to the central display side by side with the rear camera.

To avoid curb rash, you can use your right left view mirror, which moves a little bit toward the ground when in Reverse,
but you cannot look at the rear camera display and the right mirror at the same time.

Side cameras would be a nice-to-have, surely. But it's not particularly egregious that you cannot look at the screen and wing mirror / rear-view mirror / windscreen / window simultaneously. If you are unsure of your maneuver, you can slow or stop the car and take stock of your positioning before resuming your parking process. If you park slowly, the worst thing that will happens is that you'll be tiny bit older when you emerge from your vehicle.

Funny....I've been parking cars for over 40 years now without any cameras or other aids, and only seldom do I hit the curb, either when parallel parking, or parking head in. These appear to be crutches that do nothing more than make us less precise when we drive. Ever notice how rear-view cameras are making it so that people (including me, sometimes) don't look over their shoulder when reversing?

I do like Item 3, however.

keith

Funny....I've been parking cars for over 40 years now without any cameras or other aids, and only seldom do I hit the curb, either when parallel parking, or parking head in. These appear to be crutches that do nothing more than make us less precise when we drive. Ever notice how rear-view cameras are making it so that people (including me, sometimes) don't look over their shoulder when reversing?

I do like Item 3, however.

keith
It's a slippery slope with driver assist features. You could say the same about Autopilot as well. Why do we need blind spot monitoring, just adjust your mirrors correctly. There are people who park like **** and just don't care but there are also people who do actually try but lack the spacial and visual judgement. I think if the technology exists, we may as well use it.

I think if the technology exists, we may as well use it.
I think if the technology exists, we may as well use it, but after attaining competency at manually executing what the technology is shortcutting for us. Basic algebra and arithmetic are incredibly useful to know; it's important to know how do do long multiplication and long division, but calculators are invaluable. Indispensable. But I weep to think about how many people need to bust out a customized app on their cell phones to calculate a 20% tip.

Reactions: dg24 and TW14 9LF
I think if the technology exists, we may as well use it, but after attaining competency at manually executing what the technology is shortcutting for us. Basic algebra and arithmetic are incredibly useful to know; it's important to know how do do long multiplication and long division, but calculators are invaluable. Indispensable. But I weep to think about how many people need to bust out a customized app on their cell phones to calculate a 20% tip.
I agree for sure. I think that 'assist' word is discounted and not taken to heart by most. It's still secondary to you. Autopark curbed your wheel, nope 100% still your fault.

1000% agree with this!!!

I've seen to many posts on the forum that parking is pretty bad so I've never even tried it. Besides I try not to park next to anyone since so many people have no regard for door dings. And no I never take 2 spaces to park! I do hope Tesla gets parking to work really well so I can at least try it. And forget reverse summon.

Walking is great exercise.