Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My (--1--) HPWC install...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
:)Thanks for the updated information.

So I think this is the section in Article 400 of 2017 NEC (NFPA 70) that I think says you can't run cable through walls like that.

Screen Shot 2019-05-26 at 11.36.27 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Runt8
With all due respect to the OP, this is one stupid way to mount a HPWC... Get it off the ceiling, for starters... While there may not be wording on orientation, this is one of those "should be obvious" things that Tesla probably never thought to put in the documentation... I mean who does something like this? I won't rehash what others have said about the rest but yikes... How do you intend to do maintenance on this thing?

Jeff

... In my opinion, my only sin, my installation doesn't look like a traditional EVSE. I'm open for further discussion, but be rationale.

As someone else pointed out, sending flexible cables through ceilings and walls is indeed a sin according to the National Electric Code Section 400.12. I think it would be a good idea to correct that.

Oh, one more thing that you might useful is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Organizer-Connector-Bracket-Charger/dp/B0799GVJWN

Last edited:
You chose to publicize your installation by posting on a public forum, no one forced you to do so. If you can't take the feedback then perhaps it's best you not put yourself out there like that...

Jeff
:)Yes I did. That's what people do on public forums to share ideas and learn. I had no idea that mounting the EVSE on the ceiling would create such an uproar and disapproval. As I stated at the beginning, someone else mention they mounted their Tesla EVSE on the ceiling, with no critique or feedback. I also didn't realize that looping the charge cable through the attic space and returning to reduce length would do the same. Seemed so harmless until Eprosenx quoted the 2017 NEC. If I appear thin skinned, I'm not. There's a correct way to correct and critique, since we're all here to share and learn. This in my opinion, is a poor example.

This is how owners manuals get those odd warnings, like "Do not use hair dryer while in the bathtub".:eek: Sometimes it takes a special kind of person to do something before normal people realize that you have to tell people not to do this thing anymore!

6 months from now in the Tesla HPWC manual - "Do not mount it on the ceiling!!!".o_O

I doubt there's a veteran licensed electrician that hasn't received a code violation. It's not that I used 12-2 Romex on a 60A circuit and defended that. Regardless, I will correct the mounting location of my Telsa EVSE and reroute the charge cable. I have a Leviton 40A EVSE that I will use in the interim. I've been informed and educated. My last thoughts on this subject.