Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 10.11.2 Experience - Not So Good

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first update since 2021! What took so long? They must have been hard at it making things better, right?

Anyway, my first drive. Activated FSD at the end of the community driveway entering the main road. That turn onto the main road was nice and smooth. It didn't try to make a very sharp 90 degree there. At 0.7 mile an intersection. Stopped short then creeped. Made it though fine but was slow. For the next mile or so I noticed that it was not driving like a novice teen at the wheel with one foot on the brakes. No slight and semi-continuous pumping of the brakes. That's good.

Then we slowed and crossed the center line for no apparent reason. Drove in the center of the road about 50-100 feet then got back in our lane. (speed was set at 50; lane markings were new and highly visible)

Got to a Tee intersection with another 2-lane rural road. We stopped way short then creeped, attempting to make a left turn. No traffic in either direction. Creeped out into the near lane and stopped completely, front of the car in the middle of the road. Message said "waiting for high speed crossing traffic", but there was no one in sight. After about 10 seconds a car appeared approaching so I gave it a little Go and it went through the intersection. Major fail there.

A mile later the nav had us turning left into the entrance to a shopping center. There were two left turn lanes there about 200 feet apart, and our target was the 2nd one. The car got into the 1st left turn lane and then very abruptly steered back into the straight lane, then swerved left to get into the 2nd turn lane. That was pretty violent in my opinion. This entrance to the shopping center is a short winding road with a couple of left turn lanes along its path. Our intended path was to go straight, but the car got into the left turn lanes only to snap back into the straight lane. It did that twice along the road that was maybe 500 ft long.

I never get the results that I see posted on YouTube where people have driven for miles with no intervention.

Still waiting for 2024.36.99

I had a similar experience. Two steps forward, one step back. Some things seemed smoother, but other things continue to be problematic. But I can't say I'm disappointed--that is the nature of beta software. As long as I keep seeing *some* improvement, I guess I'm pretty happy. This whole process just emphasizes to me how complex driving really is, and how many little decisions we constantly make as humans as we're driving. :)

Reactions: TresLA