Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 11.2kW Tesla Solar Project - Portland, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is what mine looks like (installed in March) though I have seen what seems like a different version - no idea if it is just cosmetic or something else. (I was kind of annoyed that the Solar Gateway does not seem to come with mounting hardware or even a couple holes to hang it off of some screws/nails.)

I thought the exact same thing. I think I’ll use command strips or something like that to attach it to the wall near the inverter.

Just for clarification, I was using a stock image from the Tesla website. The one that came with my install does indeed say Tesla on the front.

Box says Tesla part number 1490255-00-A. Model number GWY20. FCC ID XFF-GWY20.
So maybe what Tesla shows on their website is an old style - maybe even a version of the Solar City gateway with that branding removed. I had seen that style elsewhere but did not know if they were still installing both styles or not. (And I don't know if there is really any functional difference.)

So maybe what Tesla shows on their website is an old style - maybe even a version of the Solar City gateway with that branding removed. I had seen that style elsewhere but did not know if they were still installing both styles or not. (And I don't know if there is really any functional difference.)

I had one of the solar city white gateway boxes (smaller than the tesla one, with a wifi antenna on the back of it. Solar city upgraded to a black one with solar city branding on it sometime after my install in early 2016. I never got this one but remember seeing images for it and wondering if I should try to get it (cause "new tech", lol).

I did recently "upgrade" from the white solar city one to the black tesla one. I put upgrade in quotes, because the tesla one seems to have less actual range associated with it than the white solar city one I had, and this was confirmed by a supervisor at the tesla energy support call center.

I had one of the solar city white gateway boxes (smaller than the tesla one, with a wifi antenna on the back of it. Solar city upgraded to a black one with solar city branding on it sometime after my install in early 2016. I never got this one but remember seeing images for it and wondering if I should try to get it (cause "new tech", lol).

I did recently "upgrade" from the white solar city one to the black tesla one. I put upgrade in quotes, because the tesla one seems to have less actual range associated with it than the white solar city one I had, and this was confirmed by a supervisor at the tesla energy support call center.

When we were installing and I was hooking up the black gateway they told me 50 feet and 1 wall max. I put it on the inside of the wall to which the inverters are mounted and it seems to work fine. I say seems because there appears to be no way to read the data on this gateway via an API other, non-Tesla proprietary interface.

Last edited:
Install complete! Now it's the inspector's turn, and then the utility.

Here's a few pictures of the two 200amp main panels, and the inverter wiring. You can see the PowerBlaster is connected to both main panels.

IMG_4127.jpg

IMG_4126.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

Wow! 2 Final inspections? One for the panels and one for electrical?

Yep that's my understanding. The city inspector just confirmed panel racking/mounting and verified they weren't blocking any critical vents. He stated that a county inspector would be back for the electrical inspection. Could be due to the small size of the city I'm actually in, which is only 20k or so people outside of Portland.

Yep that's my understanding. The city inspector just confirmed panel racking/mounting and verified they weren't blocking any critical vents. He stated that a county inspector would be back for the electrical inspection. Could be due to the small size of the city I'm actually in, which is only 20k or so people outside of Portland.
I see. I hope the electrical inspection goes just as smoothly.

Here in the C & C of Honolulu, we have the same 2 inspection process. Electrical inspection and building code inspection. In some cases the building code inspector will defer to the electrical, and close out the permit as long as the electrical passes.

Edit to add congrats on the install completion and passed inspection.

Interesting. In my case there were separate line items on the inspection card for building and electrical, but the same inspector signed off on both of them at the same time.

Also in my case the permit and the inspection and everything was done by my city. There was no involvement by my county.

Well this is the best shot of the array I can get without a drone. This is from sitting on my back fence. The grade drops off so that roof plane is essentially hidden. How does the conduit interconnection look? Sticks up a little bit. Good thing I can't see it.

DSC04368.JPG

IMG_4130.JPG