Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 11.2kW Tesla Solar Project - Portland, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a solar only install, its likely that tesla simply hasnt activated the little solar gateway (little black box) yet. They have to do some sort of association with it on your account, for sure. I know this because they sent me a replacement one for my old solar city little gateway device as I have said before.

I also know that, at least for my inverter, it will try to talk to tesla inverter in range, because mine is now communicating to tesla over my neighbors connection, who also has a tesla system. We cant even seem to force it back to my little solar gateway, even after they provisioned it to my account. It doesnt impact me in the slightest because I have powerwalls and see all the data there anyway, but its annoying that my solar gateway has the red "no signal" light on it no matter what tesla does.

I'm surprised they ran exposed flex for your inverter. I would never run flex out in the open like that. Flex isn't allowed where it is "subject to physical damage."

It will be interesting to hear what your electrical inspector says. Around here that wouldn't pass.

Just passed our inspection and all conduit was either 2” PVC Schedule 80 or I think 3/4 and 1” EMT. Does seem strange. Different building code I guess.

One of the Tesla installers said if I turned my system on before PTO, I would be charged for power I produced because of my meter. Is this true? It's a brand-new meter (house built this year).

Potentially. Some meters will count any electricity flowing through regardless of direction.

Also, the utility company could fine you. However, the only report I've seen has been a third-hand report of a $5,000 fine. I haven't found anything to actually confirm if utilities still are fining people.

I personally waited until PTO before turning mine on. But I usually follow the rules.

One of the Tesla installers said if I turned my system on before PTO, I would be charged for power I produced because of my meter. Is this true? It's a brand-new meter (house built this year).

Depend on the meter. You could flip it on and see if it reads negative. Mine did that and it showed on my PG&E bill as a generation number. But I don't know if I will receive the credit for the generation since I did not have PTO at the time.

Potentially. Some meters will count any electricity flowing through regardless of direction.

Also, the utility company could fine you. However, the only report I've seen has been a third-hand report of a $5,000 fine. I haven't found anything to actually confirm if utilities still are fining people.

I personally waited until PTO before turning mine on. But I usually follow the rules.

Depend on the meter. You could flip it on and see if it reads negative. Mine did that and it showed on my PG&E bill as a generation number. But I don't know if I will receive the credit for the generation since I did not have PTO at the time.

I'm going to just wait for PTO. It's generally a pretty short turnaround here. Not worth the risk.

Well I turned the system on and plugged in the gateway. Says "no signal". Perhaps because I haven't received PTO?
It can take at least 15 minutes for the gateway to communicate with the inverter(s).
Ours was the same way until the 'QC' tesla engineer stopped by to look everything over and left the main shutoff on (inverters still 'off'). The gateway eventually connected and now shows up in the tesla app despite having no information.

Interesting. They had our inverter Off after leaving yesterday and my husband turned off the PWs to preserve the energy stored in them presently. We’ll just leave the system off until we get word. In the meantime interesting to check in on the app to see house use periodically. At this point just glad we passed inspection and that part is behind us. Painter comes out today to paint our side wall with the MPU. Following week have roofing company scheduled to inspect roof, gutters, vents and flashings to get ready for rainy season this year. With the panels up we do think we are seeing the AC coming on later in the day and fewer times because it’s shading the roof underneath. Been in the 90s too.

Last edited:
I've been thinking the same about our panels over the past week helping with the cooling costs... due to the roof size and panel layout our roof space is pretty much covered all around with panels and its seems to help shade the home... will def watch this more over the next few weeks.

[QUOTE="SMAlset, post: 5037275, member: 58485" @SMAIset said "They had our inverter Off after leaving yesterday and my husband turned off the PWs to preserve the energy stored in them presently. We’ll just leave the system off until we get word. In the meantime interesting to check in on the app to see house use periodically."

What method did you use to turn off the PWs? And the system?
i asked the Tesla rep who came for our inspection. He said do not use the on/off switches on the PWs themselves. They should be left on. Use the breakers that are labelled powerwalls, 1,2,3,( in our Gateway 2).
What did you do?
Also how did you turn off the system completely? Using just the large inverter dial/knob?
The rep also said to leave the inverter on to charge up the PWs due to the red flag conditions and PSPS potential. We turned it off when it reached 100%. We can turn it on when the percentage drops if we use them or just leave the setting at 100% for the PWs if not needed.

Last edited:
@SMAIset said "They had our inverter Off after leaving yesterday and my husband turned off the PWs to preserve the energy stored in them presently. We’ll just leave the system off until we get word. In the meantime interesting to check in on the app to see house use periodically."

What method did you use to turn off the PWs? And the system?
i asked the Tesla rep who came for our inspection. He said do not use the on/off switches on the PWs themselves. They should be left on. Use the breakers that are labelled powerwalls, 1,2,3,( in our Gateway 2). What did you do?

Also how did you turn off the system completely? Using just the large inverter dial/knob?
The rep also said to leave the inverter on to charge up the PWs due to the red flag conditions and PSPS potential. We turned it off when it reached 100%. We can turn it on when the percentage drops if we use them or just leave the setting at 100% for the PWs if not needed.

We asked our TE day-of-inspection guy, who was there to put labels on and handle any last minute things before meeting the inspector, if he would be giving us a "tour" of the system and letting us know how to shut down and turn on things. He replied that the system really is just self-sustaining basically and as a homeowner didn't need to do anything. Of course that's we know there are things you should know about your system and assume procedures to follow. So didn't bother to press the issue. After passing inspection my husband went down to talk to him and the breakers for the PWs were left on, the SolarEdge Inverter's knob was put into the Off position and I noticed from a photo I took that the little red partially hidden switch was in the "0" position which is Off. My husband did turn off the PWs using the switch as advised by Tesla in the past before inspection and by other users on here who have had their system for a while. Fortunately we are not in a PSPS situation where we are right now (CSU is out; best of luck to you btw as far as fires) but my husband is checking his app every day to see if we are on Standby. I know we received a manual for our SolarEdge but haven't looked through it yet. And I'm pretty sure there is a "do this first" approach to turning on or off some of the equipment so there aren't unintended surges. Hopefully someone with electrical background will comment on that.

BTW my husband did show me yesterday on his account that we had had inspection and were awaiting PTO. There was also a link on "what to do now", that we didn't click to read, so maybe that has info on turning on your system.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LadyLion