Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 12,500 service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Got my car through the 12,500 service today, plus a couple items I needed to have looked at... there were quite a few TSB items. In all, 17 items combined.

1) 12k service (incl tire rotation, FOB batteries, wiper blades)
2) Rolling driver's side window down made a scraping noise -- door handle shield got loose inside the door
3) HVAC filter replaced, debris from blower cleared
4) TSB - TPMS threshold lowered (I was getting a warning exactly 18 minutes into driving, every time)
5) New HPWC fuses that can handle 80 amp sustained use (I'll install them)
6) TSB - Liftgate water ingress (causing water in taillights) -- reseal butyl
7) TSB - Liftgate water ingress (different than 6; I forget where water could come in) -- redo applique tape
8) TSB - Have storage tray? Check -- no action
9) TSB - rotate HVAC clamp (reduce HVAC noise)
10) TSB - replace hvac pressure sensor seals with new model (could cause refrig leaks)
11) TSB - HVAC bracket and harness reroute (similar to, but different than #9)
12) TSB - Have rear skid bar? check -- no action
13) TSB - rear axle nut washers replaced
14) TSB - UMC replacement? Not needed
15) TSB - replace front mats; install rear mats
16) TSB - PSRCM calibration update (something to do with airbag I believe)
17) TSB - new J1772 adapter

Note that the HVAC noise is still there and still considerable. It's normal right now to be loud. Mine was a little extra loud (especially in the cabin) -- this helped a LITTLE.

I drove a loaner Model S -- VIN 11,--- with about 1000 miles on it. It's a LOT more solid/stiff than my car. The HVAC is just as loud. It doesn't have the drive inverter electrical noise that mine does, so I'll see if there's something that can be done about that. It's quite noticeable (embarrassing really) with windows down and passing by anything that reflects sound. I wonder what it sounds like to pedestrians.
I wonder if the loaner felt more solid because it's a better factory build or if it's 'cuz it's so new (doesn't have the wear and tear on it) ...

What does the drive inverter electrical noise sound like? Is this common?

It's hard to describe but to me it's clearly an AC electrical noise that varies proportionally with the accelerator. Easily heard at 20 MPH with an input power of between about 5 kW and 20 kW. It can't be heard at 0 MPH so it's tough to record and post here.

- - - Updated - - -

Did they not do the front vent conversion for fogging on the front and side windows?

Didn't even think of that. It's not in the receipt and I didn't notice a change in that area when I drove home (though I wouldn't be surprised if my dumb arse missed it :smile:) -- I'll ask, because it did cause me problems a couple times this past winter.

I think the whine only really occurs with the performance. In my S85 I never really hear any whine. But in the loaner P85 I had, while I got my 12,500 service last week, had a very noticible whine when accelerating. Didn't even have to punch it that hard.

My standard gets the whine around the 80-160 kW power band.

This, exactly.

Mine had no wine of any kind for the first week, but it seems the more I punch it, the more it seems to grow/come easier. I know Tesla says it has nothing to do with how hard you drive it, but I still wonder if there is a correlation. Maybe related to a proper break in period needed - that no one's quite figured out yet? Or just wear and tear related.

Car is very solid though.

Well, there's the whine, but now (for me) this sounds like the whine is starting to morph into the balloon squeal... Almost. I've heard others talk about the squeal as really bad/embarrassing. Mine isn't to this level yet. But it makes me consider not flooring it with guests/test-drives for the neighbors.

Is that what you're referencing Ben?

Ben, brought mine in to Watertown for a 6 month/6,000 mile tire rotation, ended up their for 3+ hours (this was a few weeks ago) what was done:

Rotated tires, I asked about tread wear, rears where down just 1/32" (I have 19" tires non-performance) fronts not measurable
Replaced front driver and passenger mats, installed rear mat (fronts where curling up, never had the rear mat)
Installed defroster vent modification (that's what took most of the time)
TSB: replace DC-DC inverter. This was unexpected, but they said my VIN was on the list to get it replaced. I did notice the 12V running a bit "hot" @ 14.8VDC (I have a passport 9500CI that can show/measures the vehicles 12V voltage)

They offered me the Model S loaner, but I wasn't about to head back into downtown Boston at 3:30PM :)
I guess there will be less to do on my 12K maint check. I'm still impressed by Tesla service, all of the above was no charge (I did buy the 4 year prepaid maint a while back)

Regarding the drive inverter noise (this might deserve another thread at this rate!) -- it's not the balloon squeal, nor the gear drone, nor anything else I've read anywhere else on TMC. From inside the car with the windows up, it sounds like faint electrical interference -- an AC sine-wave electrical sort of thing. With the windows down and something to reflect the noise back at the car, I'm not sure how to describe the sound. An almost metallic cricket noise with a side of metal scraping. Heh. I gotta find a way to record this sound now :)

Got my car through the 12,500 service today, plus a couple items I needed to have looked at... there were quite a few TSB items. In all, 17 items combined.

1) 12k service (incl tire rotation, FOB batteries, wiper blades)
2) Rolling driver's side window down made a scraping noise -- door handle shield got loose inside the door
3) HVAC filter replaced, debris from blower cleared
4) TSB - TPMS threshold lowered (I was getting a warning exactly 18 minutes into driving, every time)
5) New HPWC fuses that can handle 80 amp sustained use (I'll install them)
6) TSB - Liftgate water ingress (causing water in taillights) -- reseal butyl
7) TSB - Liftgate water ingress (different than 6; I forget where water could come in) -- redo applique tape
8) TSB - Have storage tray? Check -- no action
9) TSB - rotate HVAC clamp (reduce HVAC noise)
10) TSB - replace hvac pressure sensor seals with new model (could cause refrig leaks)
11) TSB - HVAC bracket and harness reroute (similar to, but different than #9)
12) TSB - Have rear skid bar? check -- no action
13) TSB - rear axle nut washers replaced
14) TSB - UMC replacement? Not needed
15) TSB - replace front mats; install rear mats
16) TSB - PSRCM calibration update (something to do with airbag I believe)
17) TSB - new J1772 adapter

Note that the HVAC noise is still there and still considerable. It's normal right now to be loud. Mine was a little extra loud (especially in the cabin) -- this helped a LITTLE.

I drove a loaner Model S -- VIN 11,--- with about 1000 miles on it. It's a LOT more solid/stiff than my car. The HVAC is just as loud. It doesn't have the drive inverter electrical noise that mine does, so I'll see if there's something that can be done about that. It's quite noticeable (embarrassing really) with windows down and passing by anything that reflects sound. I wonder what it sounds like to pedestrians.
I wonder if the loaner felt more solid because it's a better factory build or if it's 'cuz it's so new (doesn't have the wear and tear on it) ...

Was your loaner a P85+?