Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 12 month review of owning my 2022 Model S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered before the price hike/at the $79k price point. Took about 9 months or so to come in at that time. 11/2021 build. No matrix headlights/no pivoting screen. (not that I'd ever pivot..the screen from the default position). White on white, 19" wheels, no FSD(had it on the 2017. $15k is a ripoff. Free AP is a tremendous value). Accumulated 8k miles in 12 months. I charge home at 240volts via mobile connector to about 60% daily. My commute or travel gets me to no lower than about 45%. Have done about 4 road trips, supercharged a total of twice. Supercharger network is game changing. Dont know what my current degradation is as I haven't bothered to even check

Pickup/delivery in Virginia was a 9 out of 10. Despite being told the car would come with all seasons, came with summer only tires. Tesla gladly did the swap for me at no cost once all seasons came in. Only other issue was rear hatch/trunk cover missing at pickup time. They said they would contact me once it came in later, but weeks later, heard nothing. Drove the few miles to the service center few weeks later, and apparently it was there sitting. They handed it to me.

Only issue at all with the car, was a failed drivers seat pressure sensor. I noticed that randomly the car wouldn't not turn "off" (not that its ever truly off, but you get what Im saying) when I exited. Screen would still be on, climate still running, doors would not lock upon walking away. Opened a ticket, Tesla did remote diagnostics and determined failed sensor. Mobile Ranger came and replaced it in less than an hour a few days later.

The numerous improvements with the refresh over my prior 2017 S were 100% worth upgrading. Quality of interior materials, speed of the MCU, enhanced quietness, the Audio system, charging speed, range, acceleration, its ability to not lose any acceleration push once you hit 90+ like the 2017 did, ventilated seats, heated rear seats, heat pump efficiency, its ability to maintain high levels of acceleration even at 25% or so battery power..the list of improvements goes on and on. Thought for SURE i'd HATE the yoke, but for me, its extremely comfortable/ergonomic when you are driving straight (which lets face it, is most of the time Im driving), its "ok" when turning, and it is not as good as a round wheel when doing u turns or parallell parking. That said, for me? I have zero desire to replace it with the optional Tesla round wheel now offered. But if I were to get a brand new S? Not 100% sure I'd go with Yoke again. But I might. See how conflicted I am with it?

Performance: The car is FAST. No other way to put it. 3.1 0-60 is within supercar territory. For a heavy car, the lateral grip is amazing. I did go to 21" wheels (MRR brand, via vendor on this site. Dont recall the offsets but they are staggered) and have Pilot Sport All seasons and can take exit ramps easily at over 3x the posted speeds for the ramp. With minimal body lean and zero tire squeal. Shes not nimble, but when needed, big girl CAN dance. Braking? Ehh....Not terrible but pedal feel overall is NOT awe inspiring. For me, the additional spend for a Plaid not worth it. But that's me. I can CERTAINLY understand and appreciate those who spent more to get the fastest production car on Earth.

Only other mods I've done is 38% tint on sides, and 20% on the hatch. PPF'ed my hood myself, had a local detailing guy PPF my front bumper. Small aftermarket CF style lip spoiler on trunk. No other mods planned. At this point, will be impossible for me to go backwards to an ICE vehicle.

IMG_8358 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like your experience and opinions are very similar to mine.

Except I hit a racoon going 85....and ran over a dead deer doing 60...and someone crushed my backend in a parking lot 3 weeks after I bought the car....and someone backed into the front of my car 2 months ago...and I had to replace a nearly new tire because a ROCK penetrated between the treads....and the steering air bag fell off in my lap one time...

Other than that, things are going great. 😂

About 'Performance', I agree it is not worth it to go Plaid. My argument is mostly because of the almost zero differences in appearance between a LR and a Plaid.
I mean, I didnt want to come off as a "hater" in my original post about the Plaid. Because I truly DO get the fun of having more speed/more power, etc.

That said? In 12 months I rarely ever floor the accelerator on my LR. It's damn near so much acceleration its not comfortable doing a full throttle in regular driving. Sure its great when showing off to a new passenger or maybe at a stoplight race of sorts. (which I'll also be honest. Anytime a Hellcat or something powerful does pull up next to me? Its always in traffic or other cars in front of us or not on a good straightaway. Ive never in 12 months been fortunate enough to pull up to the stoplight, no one in front of me/us, and a performance car comes next to me with an empty lane in front of him as well. Never happens. And I hate that).

For the first time in my life I can honestly say the LR has ALL the power I need for any situation. Passing, accelerating after on on ramp, etc. I personally cant see myself spending what, 30k (or whatever the price difference is now between say, selling my LR to get a 2022 used Plaid with same miles, same condition, etc) solely for the acceleration difference. But Im also NOT mad at those who did spend tens of thousands more to get the plaid.

Mine is a 2021 Plaid. I have had zero issues since I took delivery September 2921.
FWIW, I have never used any of the power, never done a launch. I really wanted those carbon wrapped rotors etc. Utterly ridiculous and I love the car. I even have less electron use than I did with either my P3D or my 2014 P85DL. I have 19" so RR is 396.

I'll change to another smaller Tesla sometime, just to be less bulky.

Reactions: GSP and 2101Guy
I mean, I didnt want to come off as a "hater" in my original post about the Plaid. Because I truly DO get the fun of having more speed/more power, etc.

That said? In 12 months I rarely ever floor the accelerator on my LR. It's damn near so much acceleration its not comfortable doing a full throttle in regular driving. Sure its great when showing off to a new passenger or maybe at a stoplight race of sorts. (which I'll also be honest. Anytime a Hellcat or something powerful does pull up next to me? Its always in traffic or other cars in front of us or not on a good straightaway. Ive never in 12 months been fortunate enough to pull up to the stoplight, no one in front of me/us, and a performance car comes next to me with an empty lane in front of him as well. Never happens. And I hate that).

For the first time in my life I can honestly say the LR has ALL the power I need for any situation. Passing, accelerating after on on ramp, etc. I personally cant see myself spending what, 30k (or whatever the price difference is now between say, selling my LR to get a 2022 used Plaid with same miles, same condition, etc) solely for the acceleration difference. But Im also NOT mad at those who did spend tens of thousands more to get the plaid.

My comment is also just for why I didn't buy Plaid, not for any other people. I also have a 22 LR and I still haven't got a chance to test the drag strip mode.

Reactions: GSP and 2101Guy
This is good to hear. I am in need of garage space if I am to purchase a Model S. So, I'm building a house with two garages attached. I go back and forth that a Model 3 P may be more fun to drive, (there sure are post about it). But at the end of the day. I'm really looking forward getting back in an S after selling our first Tesla Model S 2017 RWD. My wife Karen really liked the Model X so we sold the S and here we are. I have a Model Y LR and have the ghost upgrade so it's a fun pocket rocket. It has help put aside the anxiousness of ordering the S. The home should be done next month and it's going to be a chore to move. I'm giving myself until July next year for the MS order. That is the plan. It will be for a 60th birthday. Keep the posts coming. They are a joy to read.

Pick is of garage 2. Model S parking, well and some bikes.

Attachments

• messages_0 - 2023-02-09T121233.083.jpeg
    messages_0 - 2023-02-09T121233.083.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 534
Great review! I have a 2022 S LR and I love driving this car everyday. I picked mine up last year in Feb and now I have 27k miles. I raced a last gen ZR1 and lost ( from a 60MPH roll, I gave him the hit ) battery percentage was 70%. We were neck and neck but I did not pull on him. From there on I charged my car to 90% everyday so I can be ready when I line up with that ZR1 again 😅 1st and only race in 1 year.

• Love
Reactions: 2101Guy
This is good to hear. I am in need of garage space if I am to purchase a Model S. So, I'm building a house with two garages attached. I go back and forth that a Model 3 P may be more fun to drive, (there sure are post about it). But at the end of the day. I'm really looking forward getting back in an S after selling our first Tesla Model S 2017 RWD. My wife Karen really liked the Model X so we sold the S and here we are. I have a Model Y LR and have the ghost upgrade so it's a fun pocket rocket. It has help put aside the anxiousness of ordering the S. The home should be done next month and it's going to be a chore to move. I'm giving myself until July next year for the MS order. That is the plan. It will be for a 60th birthday. Keep the posts coming. They are a joy to read.

Pick is of garage 2. Model S parking, well and some bikes.
whoa. What a garage. Is that three separate garage door entrances? More details please!

Reactions: brooklyn

I picked up a Plaid with 1500 miles for a little over what a LR would have cost at the time. My very quick conclusion was, buying brand new, I would likely go with the non-Plaid unless I really had $30k or whatever the extra cost is burning a hole in my pocket. When you're talking a 1-second difference in 0-60 and that extra second is still silly speed range, it's hard to justify. The lack of any meaningful exterior differences between the two further weakens the argument for the Plaid. You buy a RS7 or even a S7 over say an Audi A7 and you can SEE the difference. Not the case at all with Tesla, other than a spoiler and badge that you can go buy and install yourself.

I picked up a Plaid with 1500 miles for a little over what a LR would have cost at the time. My very quick conclusion was, buying brand new, I would likely go with the non-Plaid unless I really had $30k or whatever the extra cost is burning a hole in my pocket. When you're talking a 1-second difference in 0-60 and that extra second is still silly speed range, it's hard to justify. The lack of any meaningful exterior differences between the two further weakens the argument for the Plaid. You buy a RS7 or even a S7 over say an Audi A7 and you can SEE the difference. Not the case at all with Tesla, other than a spoiler and badge that you can go buy and install yourself.
I'm still living in fantasy land that someday Tesla will sell me that third motor upgrade. From what I have seen from the teardown, it just bolts in, plugs into another available battery port, and then a software version change. Maybe someday when it is out of warranty I can find an after market hack to add that extra motor for an additional 400 HP. Should only cost a few grand by then. :cool:

I'm still living in fantasy land that someday Tesla will sell me that third motor upgrade. From what I have seen from the teardown, it just bolts in, plugs into another available battery port, and then a software version change. Maybe someday when it is out of warranty I can find an after market hack to add that extra motor for an additional 400 HP. Should only cost a few grand by then. :cool:
I didn't know that.....interesting. I am excited for the future of our LR.

I'm curious whether your prior car was maybe a DeLorean with a flux capacitor upgrade, and whether you had to transfer it over to your new Model S before you brought it back to your present 2022 home location??? ;-)

Enjoy your car.
Sadly, Columbus has much better municipal buildings than does my present location. Sadly, also no flux capacitor. My Plaid lives comfortably in close proximity to MIA, while at the moment I'm enjoying a fine summer day where I'll be in our pool in a few minutes time.
How's the municipal charging in Columbus? Cummins seems intent on producing BEV?
FWIW, I have spent some excellent times in Columbus and nearby.

Sadly, Columbus has much better municipal buildings than does my present location. Sadly, also no flux capacitor. My Plaid lives comfortably in close proximity to MIA, while at the moment I'm enjoying a fine summer day where I'll be in our pool in a few minutes time.
How's the municipal charging in Columbus? Cummins seems intent on producing BEV?
FWIW, I have spent some excellent times in Columbus and nearby.
You can look on plugshare to get an idea of public charging locations in Columbus, IN area. There are a few available in public/municipal parking garages in downtown area. Cummins has some in a couple of their parking areas, although not necessarily available to general public. I'm not aware of any of the local hotels that have installed anything for use for people staying at their locations.
Cummins activities relative to commercial BEV are part of their New Power Business Unit. You can find various public announcements/information on their web site related to those activities.

Reactions: unk45
Sounds like your experience and opinions are very similar to mine.

Except I hit a racoon going 85....and ran over a dead deer doing 60...and someone crushed my backend in a parking lot 3 weeks after I bought the car....and someone backed into the front of my car 2 months ago...and I had to replace a nearly new tire because a ROCK penetrated between the treads....and the steering air bag fell off in my lap one time...

Other than that, things are going great. 😂
Within spec

• Funny
Reactions: AnselmDante
I am glad you like yours. I had my LR for just a year and it is a love and hate. I put 22k on it. It completely stopped once and that turned into a service disaster that lasted 3 weeks. I also had the center console replaced as it was wired wrong. The rear USB ports had to be fixed. The square wheel had to be replaced because the knobs would not work well. The replacement did not help... and there is the model S vibration issue that I have on the LR. Overall, I had quite a bad luck with service. This last time they misaligned the steering wheel after tire replacement and alignment. They would not fix it. It was within specs. And they do not give a flying you know what about you as you stand there upset. Nope. You are dumb and they are perfect. Go away! So I did go away and had to pay $200 to my local shop and they got it right in 45 mins. And just the fact that they will never give you a loaner. At least have an on site enterprise or something. I guess what I hate mostly is Tesla, the company and that arrogant Elon Musk attitude that just shines through the whole thing. Disgusting. To me. Sorry if this offended anyone.

So yeah. For me it has been a love and hate. But the things is, this ride is just so darn practical for a commuter vehicle. It just works. I wish it had some really high end features like my former BMWs had (better interior, complex HUD, power doors and everything else, etc) because to me, and that is just my subjective opinion, there is nothing luxury here. But otherwise this is a very convenient vehicle to use as a commuter. I don't think it is a good value at the current price point either. But the price is market driven and at the moment nut much else out there.

Anyways. I always wanted the Plaid and not the LR. After originally ordering the Plaid this LR just fell into my laps so I jumped on it. No regrets. It was like 30k less. However, since the price drop I figured I would list my LR for a lease transfer and look around. So I posted my ride on a lease swap site and it will be taken next week it seams. I am still looking at other options. S580 is high on my list but I am so not sure if I want to go in for oil changes again and deal with all that and the snobby attitude at MB that you get here in S FL I don't miss that either. But they do give you a loaner. And the car is indeed total luxury. Regardless, I got in line for a Plaid just now and I am fairly sure I will get it. This really just shows that it is a love hate for me. Albeit all the complaining above, I ordered another one. Wife has an X. The house looks like a total Tesla fanboy hideout with the garage doors open.

Reactions: 2101Guy
@Huncowboy I hear people say that Tesla S aren’t luxurious and it always confuses me. I guess I don’t know what luxury is…reference I’ve owned a Infiniti FX35 and Cadillac ELR…not sure either we’re luxurious but the entire on both was definitely better than my S. Maybe that’s it..I have been in a few Bentleys and no doin that’s luxury but a bit excessive IMO.