Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 12 volt battery is almost dead; my Tesla app doesn't work & and I can't talk to a dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I may be encountering my first bad experience with Tesla.

My 12 volt battery is almost dead. My nearest Tesla repair facility is 200 miles away. I'm supposed to use the app to schedule service, but the app doesn't work (presumably because the app communicates with my Tesla, which doesn't work because the battery is almost dead!)

Am I correct that the Tesla iPhone app won't work if the 12 volt battery is dead or almost dead?

I finally was able to arrange for a Tesla mechanic to come to my home to install a new 12 volt battery. If the 12 volt battery dies completely, how is he going to get inside the vehicle?

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Am I correct that the Tesla iPhone app won't work if the 12 volt battery is dead or almost dead?

I havent heard that particular circumstance posted before, in any of the 12v battery threads. I dont think a dead vehicle would prevent you from making a service appointment.

Sounds like you already have a service appointment, but hopefully you have errors on the screen in your car telling you to make the service appointment because the battery needs service. Otherwise (if you dont have any errors on screen etc) they may charge you for it.

1) yes, can make appointments with the app if the car is dead/offline.
2) did you get an error message?
3) glad they are doing a mobile appointment. If the car is so dead it drops offline they will only tow it to service for diagnostic and replacement:(
4) how old is your car?

good news is the battery is easily replaced.

I made a video that shows how to open the front Tow bar port to connect a 9 volt battery to it to open the hood. Once the hood is open you can get to the 12 volt battery to charge it or swap it out. You will need a 10mm wrench so make sure you buy one and keep it close by.

Note that you won’t be able to open the charge port if you do get your car towed to a supercharger, even if you pull open the charge port cover the charge port will be in the Locked position not allowing you to insert the connector into the port. I know because I saw all of this at a Supercharger in Florida, lucky the tow company was very knowledgeable in getting the hood open and connecting to the wires behind the tow bar port.

If the windows are down and you can get inside the car are, you might be able to crawl inside the back trunk, you might be able to pull the charge port cord to release the port so that you can insert the connector. Look in your manual on the location to this charge port release cord.

Your battery will be replaced under warranty but if you live 200 miles away you are better off buying a spare battery when you get closer to the 2 year mark, this is when they start to fail.

Fred

Make sure to pull the cable all the way out so that the other end will come out with it, the 12 volt battery will need to be dead for this to work. It won’t allow the hood to open if you still have power to the car.

D1E6556A-0EB1-4D7C-B3D8-A1C5D51E5FB8.jpeg

Reactions: Watts_Up

I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago and had no problem making a service appt thru my phone app. (12v was not completely gone.)

Perhaps Tesla's server was just having a bad day when you tried to make an appt?

No, the 12 V might be fine but if your car is parked in a garage with no Cell access,
you will not be able to remotely access your car with your phone,
but the App could be used to contact the Road Assistance or a Service Center.

Note: I would recommend connecting a 12 V Battery Monitor directly on top of your 12 V battery.
You will be able to check the status of your battery using Bluetooth, even if the car is sleeping.
Also if you are not driving for few days, you can check that the inboard charger starts when the battery
is below 12.55 V and will run for two hours at 14.5 V in general evey two days.

I think I may be encountering my first bad experience with Tesla.

My 12 volt battery is almost dead. My nearest Tesla repair facility is 200 miles away. I'm supposed to use the app to schedule service, but the app doesn't work (presumably because the app communicates with my Tesla, which doesn't work because the battery is almost dead!)

I finally was able to arrange for a Tesla mechanic to come to my home to install a new 12 volt battery. If the 12 volt battery dies completely, how is he going to get inside the vehicle?
I have the same issue - car battery is dead (by design as the shop is replacing them and had to discharge them) however I can no longer contact them as the app is spinning. AS they dont take phone calls, this is a huge weakness in the Tesla service solution.

1) yes, can make appointments with the app if the car is dead/offline.
2) did you get an error message?
3) glad they are doing a mobile appointment. If the car is so dead it drops offline they will only tow it to service for diagnostic and replacement:(
4) how old is your car?

good news is the battery is easily replaced.
From my experience
1) Its not possible to use the app when the car is dead.
2) no - when trying to access the service section, it just spins. The existing appointments are not visible. After a few attempts, an upgrade of the app SW, the Service option has disappeared from the list. I just have controls, climate, location, summon, security
3) Car is at Tesla service center - they have been discharging the batteries prior to warranty replacement (2014 Model S). But I need to contact them and they do not accept phone calls, and the web is only avail M-F.
4) 2014 Model S.

Overall - relying 100% on an App for post sales support, when its not available 100% is an issue.

From my experience
1) Its not possible to use the app when the car is dead.
2) no - when trying to access the service section, it just spins. The existing appointments are not visible. After a few attempts, an upgrade of the app SW, the Service option has disappeared from the list. I just have controls, climate, location, summon, security
3) Car is at Tesla service center - they have been discharging the batteries prior to warranty replacement (2014 Model S). But I need to contact them and they do not accept phone calls, and the web is only avail M-F.
4) 2014 Model S.

Overall - relying 100% on an App for post sales support, when its not available 100% is an issue.

This is the model 3 subforum, and your 2014 model S does not have the same battery as the model 3, so I am not sure if that part of your experience is relevant in this thread. On model 3s, there is no "discharge battery prior to warranty replacement".

Also, You should be able to call the tesla service center and listen for the option to inquire about a vehicle in service (exact wording may have changed). I have been able to get local service center employees by listening for that option.

I have the same issue - car battery is dead (by design as the shop is replacing them and had to discharge them) however I can no longer contact them as the app is spinning. AS they dont take phone calls, this is a huge weakness in the Tesla service solution.

You can absolutely call Tesla Roadside anytime.

(877) 798-3752

Should add that to your phone’s address book. One of those things you don’t want to have to dig for if you need it. :)

This is the model 3 subforum, and your 2014 model S does not have the same battery as the model 3, so I am not sure if that part of your experience is relevant in this thread. On model 3s, there is no "discharge battery prior to warranty replacement".

Also, You should be able to call the tesla service center and listen for the option to inquire about a vehicle in service (exact wording may have changed). I have been able to get local service center employees by listening for that option.
Yeah, I once called and used that option before also ask a question. Of course that presumes it is business hours for that service center, not sure if it is for OP.

You can absolutely call Tesla Roadside anytime.

(877) 798-3752

Should add that to your phone’s address book. One of those things you don’t want to have to dig for if you need it. :)
Thanks - ironically the car is at the service center - I just cant get through to them. I'll try roadside assistance number - but was trying to communicate with the service center to get an update on by service case - which i can no longer see in the mobile app.