Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY 188 mile commute -or- can we make it home without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP: I’m in camp to charge to 95-98% and get it done. If the battery degrades,
It’s under warranty. If warranty doesn’t cover it, sell it in a year and get the new model with better range/battery/etc?
Yes I’m considering that more now, gonna try 95% at least for the 5 nights before work in a Cold winter week.

Also experimenting with adjusting Amps such that the charge finishes close to when I leave for work. Yesterday lowering to 29Amps had it finishing an hour before my alarm to wake up. So it was only at full charge for an hour or two before I left.

Yes I’m considering that more now, gonna try 95% at least for the 5 nights before work in a Cold winter week.

Also experimenting with adjusting Amps such that the charge finishes close to when I leave for work. Yesterday lowering to 29Amps had it finishing an hour before my alarm to wake up. So it was only at full charge for an hour or two before I left.
The precondition feature in the app should finish charging by the set time. I find the only time it fails to do this is if you set it af 100%.

It should finish charging 15-30min before.

Just charge it to max and don’t stress about it

The precondition feature in the app should finish charging by the set time. I find the only time it fails to do this is if you set it af 100%.

It should finish charging 15-30min before.

Just charge it to max and don’t stress about it
I should try that
I have been apprehensive with my irregular leave for work time of 2am and worried will it be charged or not. Hehe

And yes there are fortunately several chargers available on my route if needed.

If there are superchargers on route home, I’m not sire why OP just doesn’t bite the bullet and do aquick 10-15 minute charge just to avoid the stress of white knuckling it. But maybe OP enjoys the challenge and adrenaline rush of almost running out of juice on a regular basis.
Haha that is definitely what the wife encourages me to do. My primary incentive not to is getting off the highway, navigating a busy parking lot and getting out to plug in then unplug five or ten minutes later just to navigate that busy parking lot again. There was a nice patch of ice right by the charger last time I stopped too.

Just be nice to mitigate all that and make it all the way to work and back off my home charge (and mostly solar energy).

But I accept now that if it’s gonna be close, just plan the most convenient charge along the route. The battery acts different below 0’C and doesn’t play games on how much past zero it’ll go 🤣

I still say charge to 100% and be done with it. Will the battery last as long as one that is kept 70% range? Maybe not but at least it’ll be a useful car for you and the worry/stress is mitigated. How long will you really keep the car? Average is 3-5 years.