Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2 day old P85D suddenly died in the middle of an intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is asking for perfection. Experiencing a major and complete failure of your brand new $120,000 car is not expecting perfection. It's expecting initial quality - something on which Tesla is rated by Consumer Reports and others, and is an important factor and consideration for customers. I cut Tesla a lot of slack, but none in issues like this where the same problem has happened several times in this forum and probably a lot more in real world (the minority post here, the majority of owners don't post online about their cars). So perhaps you should acknowledge the concerns of others and where Tesla should improve its weaknesses rather than berate those who are throwing light on a safety issue.

I have owned 9 cars that I put a deposit on before the first one was delivered, often waiting 18-24 months: 4 BMWs (733/750 V12/2 M5s), 1 Lexus (LS 600h), 1 Smart, 1 Fisker, 1 McLaren (12C) and 1 Tesla. I guess that makes me an early adopter. And you know what? Every one of them suffered early failures, including 4 that stopped and required a tow (but not my Model S).

All of them except the Smart cost in the neighborhood of $100K or more. But I expected there to be failures because I know that even when a manufacturer does excellent engineering and extensive testing, there will always be unanticipated failure modes that will only reveal themselves in customer cars. I enjoyed the experience of getting new technology early, and drove all but the Fisker for an average of 3-4 years even though there were early problems. I still own the 12C, Tesla and Smart.

For you, it may a good idea to wait for a new model to be out for 2 years before you purchase as you said in an earlier post. It will be less stressful.

I have owned 9 cars that I put a deposit on before the first one was delivered, often waiting 18-24 months: 4 BMWs (733/750 V12/2 M5s), 1 Lexus (LS 600h), 1 Smart, 1 Fisker, 1 McLaren (12C) and 1 Tesla. I guess that makes me an early adopter. And you know what? Every one of them suffered early failures, including 4 that stopped and required a tow (but not my Model S).

All of them except the Smart cost in the neighborhood of $100K or more. But I expected there to be failures because I know that even when a manufacturer does excellent engineering and extensive testing, there will always be unanticipated failure modes that will only reveal themselves in customer cars. I enjoyed the experience of getting new technology early, and drove all but the Fisker for an average of 3-4 years even though there were early problems. I still own the 12C, Tesla and Smart.

For you, it may a good idea to wait for a new model to be out for 2 years before you purchase as you said in an earlier post. It will be less stressful.

My Model S never failed on me in the two years I've owned it. I have no stress. I am simply posting in support of OP's wife and feel that her concerns are absolutely spot on.

That is why we bought a Porsche and not a Mazda. I am pretty sure she'll be OK. As much as I love my Tesla, I have to say that I've never had a serious problem with a high-end German car.
Anyway ... it is her choice and there is not much I can do about it at this point. Meanwhile, today I pulled into a gas station to withdraw money from an ATM and I enjoyed giving dirty looks to all the people filling up :)

I've had the exact problem of dying in the middle of an intersection with both a BMW and a Mercedes. Only once for each, and never figured out why - but it was very disconcerting.

I've had the exact problem of dying in the middle of an intersection with both a BMW and a Mercedes. Only once for each, and never figured out why - but it was very disconcerting.

I too have had an Audi ICE fail due to clutch failure (it was a manual) years back, it was less than two years old. Other than that I've owned several high-end German premiums without failures. My P85 hasn't failed in its first year. All of this is anecdotal of course, in the lack of randomized studies or statistics.

Just to voice a little support to AmpedRealtor, mknox and OP, though. There is no harm in acknowledging and critiquing a fail (we do it for competitors, we need to do it for Tesla) and actually there is a net benefit - the discussion fizzles out faster when people just go simply not good, so sorry to hear that, bad for Tesla, moving on without making it any longer issue than it needed to be either. It is the questioning and debating the OP that drags on longer. Just IMO of course.

My understanding is the MS monitors the 12V battery level and charges as needed, and in this case the mechanism to charge it likely failed. But how hard would it be to let you know that when the 12V hits 50%, or 25%, or something before 0%? It's monitoring the voltage, it should realize that the battery isn't charging correctly and alert you in advance of power outage.

In over a million miles of driving, I've never had a vehicle die on me or stop. I guess I've been lucky. I've had a few flat tires and even a blowout. I've had clutches start to slip but no outright failures.

5K miles on P85D and so far so good. No failures there either.

I think it's useful to point out what I would presume should be fairly obvious at this point. The circumstance that led to this post was a fairly rare situation. There was no large number of P85D vehicles experiencing this situation. It happened on a brand new model with less than a month of time in customer hands.

All brands and models of cars have vehicles that have problems. Some more than others. All parts have failure rates. It is impossible to build a perfect car. New models are more prone to this than older models.

In essence there is nothing to see here. OP resolved the situation to his satisfaction with Tesla.

Hi ... I know this one died out long ago but was there any conclusion to the suddent death.

I guess the now "very famous 1.300 A" fuse must have melted ?

And then what.. was it replaced and the SW changed to it would not happen again ?

Torben_E

You know I went through the thread and the whole thread yelled at me "stupidity". The problem with a lot of people (for this instance, non tech women) is that they are uneducated about the car/tech, and they don't want to be educated about it, because they don't care. So sometimes the solutions you have to come up, like here, are stupid until 10 years later that person realizes it was a mistake.

Here is a good example. When sometimes my wife visits a web site and a video doesn't play, or something doesn't work, she blames me and the computer and yells at me, fix it! Not realizing its a problem with a web site. Or when my Father calls me on the phone, freaking out that he has a virus on a computer because there is a pop up saying you have a virus, click here to clean it (not realizing that its just a spam popup from a web site)

And back to to the topic of cars dying. I leased a brand new car in 2006, 2-3 days it completely died on a intersection (also on new years eve). It went into some kind of safe mode and wouldn't turn back on. We had to push the car. So what does that mean, I was running a "car" experiment. Does that mean I won't be buying "cars" anymore.

And also another thing I would suggest to thread owner's wife, is not to buy her an electric car ever again. So when in 10 years, every other person is driving an electric car, she will be stuck an with antiquated car.

Last edited:
You know I went through the thread and the whole thread yelled at me "stupidity". The problem with a lot of people (for this instance, non tech women) is that they are uneducated about the car/tech, and they don't want to be educated about it, because they don't care.

What about non-tech men?

I see you're from NY. Any chance you're really Donald Trump, under cover?