Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2 year 2021 Model Y LR Review/Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, not mine, my wifes. (Purchased for her as a gift Dec 2020).

White on White, LR, 20" wheel upgrade. Had ~6 miles on it at time of pickup. Added the Accel Boost maybe 5 months after purchase. PPF on hood only. NO FSD. She loves standard AP when on highway. In city she prefers hands on driving feel. (She enjoys..driving). Windows tinted. No other notable accessories/mods. Currently has right at 29k miles. Probably a mix of 85% city, 15% highway use. Garaged day and night.

Random notes:

- Car had zero issues at pickup/delivery time. Yes, zero. Service Center accommodated my request (at the time) to have it in the showroom with a red bow. The SC staff was fantastic
- Only one service ticket within two years, and that was for a loosening rear view mirror. Mobile Ranger fixed that in less than an hour.
-Contemplated adding power frunk kit (I did that on a prior S I owned), but opted against it as I never used the frunk at all on my S. (ok, one time, to carry caserole to a cookout)
-Have two 240v outlets in my garage (I had a dedicated circuit/breaker panel installed in my detached garage when I had the house built), one for my current 2022 S and the other for the Y. Charge only with the included mobile connectors during off peak where rates are ~11 cents per KWH. Charge both to ~55% each night, unless we plan a road trip. Once every 3 months or so I do charge both to about 95%. Its been supercharged maybe, 4 times total in 2 years.
-Havent measured any sort of battery degradation/range decrease as..it just hasnt come up and I simply dont obsess over it. I'll assume its between 5-9% loss, just based on internet reading. 95% (or more) of daily driving for my wife is 30 miles or less. That is less than 2 hours on the mobile connector at night to get that back
-Tires have worn evenly but need replacing now. I rotated them front to back at 15k miles or so.
-Ordered the accel boost before a road trip and fully intended to cancel within 48 hours. (Wife has never been into high performance. Previous vehicle was a Lexus RX. Boring.) However, I was wrong. She 100% wanted to keep the accel boost. So we did.
-High points per the wife: Pulling into garage and plugging in. Massive convenience vs filling with gas. Quiet smooth quick acceleration at anytime. No gear changes, no noise, no waiting until engine has warmed up to accelerate hard. Loves warming up vehicle inside of garage via mobile app. Heater works fast in winter. Nothing has ever broken (her words). Loves the style, the room, comfort, how great the white interior holds up. (Still like new). She also loves the screen/technology. (And she HATES hi tech things. Still writes herself notes on sticky notes vs using siri to dictate notes on her Iphone)
-PPF mainly a waste(hood only), but I did it myself so minimal cost. No PPF on front bumper cover and total # of nicks is 3. Each approx 1 mm in size. Careful application of touchup paint made them nearly invisible beyond 3 feet of staring IF you knew where to look. Zero dings/rock chips anywhere else. Factory PPF sheets was installed on that back area near both rear doors.
-Ebay mudflaps were installed earlier this year by me. I guess they work ok?

In short, wife says she has ZERO plans to ever go back to ICE. Ever. She'd like an X in the future, but I may surprise her with a 2023 Performance Y (Now that Tesla fixed the harsh suspension issue) middle of next year depending on how far used market continues to drop/impacts resale of this LR Y on used market) and depending on whether or not parking sensor capability is restored by then. She'd love the heated steering wheel (hers was delivered just weeks before that became a feature in the 2021 Y's) and would def love even more acceleration capability.

50392324657_c08b32b927_b.jpg

"IMG_0764" by Robert T Bell is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
(Admin note: Image added as thumbnail for Blog)

Last edited:
Very nice checkpoint review. My wife will be daily driving the MR LR too. She is also coming out of a Lexus RX. Great car but whenever she goes on the onramp, you can feel the weight of that car dragging you down, lol.

Interesting to hear about your wife's feedback on the accel boost. That might be a good upgrade. I don't think my wife will care for the Performance model but she did want the upgraded 20" wheels, lol. I was just going to get the basic and maximize range initially.

Very nice checkpoint review. My wife will be daily driving the MR LR too. She is also coming out of a Lexus RX. Great car but whenever she goes on the onramp, you can feel the weight of that car dragging you down, lol.

Interesting to hear about your wife's feedback on the accel boost. That might be a good upgrade. I don't think my wife will care for the Performance model but she did want the upgraded 20" wheels, lol. I was just going to get the basic and maximize range initially.
I was SHOCKED she wanted to keep the accel boost. (especially since the deal was that if she kept it? Shed be paying me back for it. Which reminds me...I think Im owed some money still on her payments to me!) But yes, 1/2 second 0-60 off the times, can be felt. Not that she's drag racing anyone, but she said she felt the additional "kick" and didnt want to give it up. So we kept it.

Well, not mine, my wifes. (Purchased for her as a gift Dec 2020).

White on White, LR, 20" wheel upgrade. Had ~6 miles on it at time of pickup. Added the Accel Boost maybe 5 months after purchase. PPF on hood only. NO FSD. She loves standard AP when on highway. In city she prefers hands on driving feel. (She enjoys..driving). Windows tinted. No other notable accessories/mods. Currently has right at 29k miles. Probably a mix of 85% city, 15% highway use. Garaged day and night.

Random notes:

- Car had zero issues at pickup/delivery time. Yes, zero. Service Center accommodated my request (at the time) to have it in the showroom with a red bow. The SC staff was fantastic
- Only one service ticket within two years, and that was for a loosening rear view mirror. Mobile Ranger fixed that in less than an hour.
-Contemplated adding power frunk kit (I did that on a prior S I owned), but opted against it as I never used the frunk at all on my S. (ok, one time, to carry caserole to a cookout)
-Have two 240v outlets in my garage (I had a dedicated circuit/breaker panel installed in my detached garage when I had the house built), one for my current 2022 S and the other for the Y. Charge only with the included mobile connectors during off peak where rates are ~11 cents per KWH. Charge both to ~55% each night, unless we plan a road trip. Once every 3 months or so I do charge both to about 95%. Its been supercharged maybe, 4 times total in 2 years.
-Havent measured any sort of battery degradation/range decrease as..it just hasnt come up and I simply dont obsess over it. I'll assume its between 5-9% loss, just based on internet reading. 95% (or more) of daily driving for my wife is 30 miles or less. That is less than 2 hours on the mobile connector at night to get that back
-Tires have worn evenly but need replacing now. I rotated them front to back at 15k miles or so.
-Ordered the accel boost before a road trip and fully intended to cancel within 48 hours. (Wife has never been into high performance. Previous vehicle was a Lexus RX. Boring.) However, I was wrong. She 100% wanted to keep the accel boost. So we did.
-High points per the wife: Pulling into garage and plugging in. Massive convenience vs filling with gas. Quiet smooth quick acceleration at anytime. No gear changes, no noise, no waiting until engine has warmed up to accelerate hard. Loves warming up vehicle inside of garage via mobile app. Heater works fast in winter. Nothing has ever broken (her words). Loves the style, the room, comfort, how great the white interior holds up. (Still like new). She also loves the screen/technology. (And she HATES hi tech things. Still writes herself notes on sticky notes vs using siri to dictate notes on her Iphone)
-PPF mainly a waste(hood only), but I did it myself so minimal cost. No PPF on front bumper cover and total # of nicks is 3. Each approx 1 mm in size. Careful application of touchup paint made them nearly invisible beyond 3 feet of staring IF you knew where to look. Zero dings/rock chips anywhere else. Factory PPF sheets was installed on that back area near both rear doors.
-Ebay mudflaps were installed earlier this year by me. I guess they work ok?

In short, wife says she has ZERO plans to ever go back to ICE. Ever. She'd like an X in the future, but I may surprise her with a 2023 Performance Y (Now that Tesla fixed the harsh suspension issue) middle of next year depending on how far used market continues to drop/impacts resale of this LR Y on used market) and depending on whether or not parking sensor capability is restored by then. She'd love the heated steering wheel (hers was delivered just weeks before that became a feature in the 2021 Y's) and would def love even more acceleration capability.

View attachment 884091
"IMG_0764" by Robert T Bell is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
(Admin note: Image added as thumbnail for Blog)
-PPF mainly a waste(hood only), but I did it myself so minimal cost. No PPF on front bumper cover and total # of nicks is 3

Thank you, I considered PPF for my 3 and have been slowly deciding against it

Reactions: Happy Hippo
-PPF mainly a waste(hood only), but I did it myself so minimal cost. No PPF on front bumper cover and total # of nicks is 3

PPF just does not have any RIO in the long run, especially for a daily driver. Sure will not get much more when selling it. Same with super expensive ceramic coatings. $20-$25 of a good ceramic spray coating works like magic with new micro fiber towels.

Oh, I’ve never done ceramic. I use a spray on/wipe off wax about once a month? And that is still too frequent, but it takes 10 mins TOPS.

Water beads are tiny. For those who want to simply do a ceramic and not be bothered with waxing frequently? I guess ceramic is a good idea. I guess…

Last edited:
Reactions: Evpowerdan

PPF sounds really cool. In theory.
In practice? On my prior blue s? I did get a nick in the hood PPF. Wasn’t YUGE but to me, noticeable. Nothing I could do about it.

If no PPF? I have perfected the skill of using sandpaper to carefully smooth down the edge of a rock chip, then carefully layering very thin coat after coat of touch up inside the chip until the paint is level. Then I use a dab of paint thinner to further smooth and level down any excess.

End result is near invisibility of the chip.

With PPF? Live with the nick or totally replace that panel of PPF.

Latter is expensive. Careful touch up? Cheap.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
That is what I meant - dang typo. ROI - Return On Investment.

IMO - too much hype to spend thousands of $$$$ for PPF or ceramic coating at a shop. Shops pushing that are the ones who make out BIG time with profits. Save your $$$$ to buy the next EV.

Agee with 2101Guy - touch up paint for a chip is much better.
I’m surprised, I would’ve expected that guy to be so happy he put PPF on, I got 2 rock chips in my hood the other day and I am very upset I didn’t buy PPF, sure the chips would be in the PPF, but now they are in my hood!! Showing the bare aluminum underneath, and if I were to sell the vehicle I could just take the PPF off, can’t do much to fix the hood besides touch up paint, which hurts my heart, is it weird that I was thinking if I ever get into a slight accident, at least the hood would be replaced, getting rid of the chips? Haha… what made me think that was probably the recent run in I had with a deer 3 days after ownership of my MYP, they replaced my hood and ofc now I have chips, some day I’m sure something minor will happen and I will finally be able to get a new hood, again, and this time I’ll buy PPF!