Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2011 Leaf needs a new battery - CPO or repair and wait?

Which should I do?

• Repair the battery. $2,000 and get the Model 3 whenever it comes out.

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Don't repair Leaf and wait for Model 3

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. Don't buy the Model 3.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. And trade it in to buy the Model 3.

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a Dec/2013 24 kWh LEAF with 23k miles this month for $8,300. The broker knew the car had lived in N. California and provided LEAFSpy data that shows ~ 2.5% battery aging.

LEAFs are amazing buys for informed buyers with use cases that match the car's range limitations. In our case it will mostly be used for second car duties around town and perhaps to work if I can convince my federal workplace to let me pay for a charge.
I bought/registered last week-in Colorado out of state EV will get State tax incentive upto $6k. At the registration I got a special sticker and was told free level 2 charging all over Northern Colorado. Check: driveelectricnoco.org, EV's popular here.

Reactions: Red Sage
You will get for that price for 2011/12 Leaf "S" ( but not SV & SL).
Sorry, there was no 11/12 S. Also, you said 13 (which I assume you mean 2013 S). The S wasn't introduced until 13. Yes, there are similarities between the 11/12s and the 13 S (heater) but that's about it. Lots of changes in 13 due to US manufacturing (price reductions, S/SV/SL, heat pump, lockable charging etc.). Until I see a link it's bogus. BTW, I've had an 11 SL for nearly 6 years and I've kept up on Mynissanleaf.com. I've recently started looking at various used options for friends and $7000-$8000 seems to be the lowest, although I did see a very high mileage 2011 for $6000. These are retail prices at used car dealerships. Auction prices are about $2000 lower, depending on the dealer.

Edit: oops I just noticed that it wasn't you that posted the $5000 prices go a 2013, plus it was Craigslist, not a dealership. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought/registered last week-in Colorado out of state EV will get State tax incentive upto $6k.
If your purchase was a used car then the state tax credit is 24% of the purchase price if you bought a 24 kWh car, or 30% of the purchase price for a 30 kWh model.

I also live in Colorado, so my net price not including shipping works out to 8300*0.76

This brings a interesting question. When does it stop making sense repairing or spending the money to replace the battery. In my personal opinion the leaf encomiases everything that is wrong with electric cars and is crap because the batteries fail to last more than 5 years or 70,000 mile. Especially compared to the Volt and every other ev in the market. Moreover, what is the value of a car needing a 5,000 battery? I think that after the Bolt, Model III, and Leaf 2.0 the leaf will be virtually worthless.

the leaf encomiases everything that is wrong with electric cars and is crap because the batteries fail to last more than 5 years or 70,000 mile.
You are so uninformed your may as well be a troll.

Batteries that excessively age before 5yr/60k miles are replaced under warranty, and they are the small minority of overall sales.

Which is not to say that LEAF batteries are anywhere near* Tesla quality -- they are not. But the cars are cheap to lease or buy used or to buy with tax credits and discounts so their value can be outstanding. Come to think of it -- I should take this opportunity to thank you for your ignorance: it has helped land me a great deal.

*because the LEAF battery has to be coddled a little. The LEAF I just bought is about 3 yrs old and has 23k miles on the odometer. Capacity is 97.5% of new according to LEAFspy. I do not have any doubt that the car will work well for our use as long as we want, and it will work out to less than $100 a month TOTAL cost**. Match that in all the other cars you think are superior.

**Purchase, maintenance, fuel and insurance.

Last edited:
You are so uninformed your may as well be a troll.

Batteries that excessively age before 5yr/60k miles are replaced under warranty, and they are the small minority of overall sales.

Which is not to say that LEAF batteries are anywhere near* Tesla quality -- they are not. But the cars are cheap to lease or buy used or to buy with tax credits and so their value can be outstanding. Come to think of it -- I should take this opportunity to thank you for your ignorance: it has helped land me a great deal.

*because the LEAF battery has to be coddled a little. The LEAF I just bought is about 3 yrs old and has 23k miles on the odometer. Capacity is 97.5% of new according to LEAFspy. I do not have any doubt that the car will work well for our use as long as we want, and it will work out to less than $100 a month TOTAL cost**. Match that in all the other cars you think are superior.

**Purchase, maintenance, fuel and insurance.

While the BMS might be adequate in colder areas, it simply isnt adequate even in mild socal. All of the Nissan Leafs owners that i've talked to in socal have experienced some degradation on a car with relevantly new car. I have even talked to some owners who are trying to hit the warranty period and some batteries fall below the 70% threshold just after the warranty period. Leaving them with a car that has lost up to 30% of its original range and stuck with a 5k bill. The Volt by comparison has no such issues and there has NEVER been a reported instance where the traction battery has been replaced do to degradation. The highest millage volt has over 300,000 miles and still performs like new. The highest mileage Nissan leaf has 150,000 miles and has not fared as well. Just, because a car is cheaper than a Tesla does not excuse the severe desegregation experienced by Leaf owners in hotter climates. It is also important to consider that although all electric cars experience decreased range do to age and use.The leaf is the only one that gets such a bad rep... It was thanks to that research that i bought a Volt.

Besides, if i where looking to lease a electric car. I would look at the 500e, Spark, Iconiq, Golf and the Bolt. All great options and in socal you could lease a 500e for less than 200 dollars. Or just buy a leaf for 5000-8000k and dispose of it after two years.

Last edited:
Replace most to some.
Anything more than zero is "some." Any car you can mention has "some" fraction of expensive repairs just out of warranty.

I paid $6300+ shipping for a LEAF that has 97.5% of new battery capacity at age three. Remind me how many battery replacements I can buy for the difference in purchase price between my car and your ~ 40 mpg chevy ?

Anything more than zero is "some." Any car you can mention has "some" fraction of expensive repairs just out of warranty.

I paid $6300+ shipping for a LEAF that has 97.5% of new battery capacity at age three. Remind me how many battery replacements I can buy for the difference in purchase price between my car and your ~ 40 mpg chevy ?

I paid 7k for mine (with rebates) and i can expect it last well over 200k. I have a 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty thanks to California and i hope electric cars get a similar warranty. Cars need to last at least ten years so that more and more individuals have access to EV's . I also specifically said in my original comment "personal opinion"

Last edited:
Seems to be about 50-50 among the LEAF owners I know around here. Unfortunately, I fell on the wrong side of the equation by 2 months and Nissan denied me any out of warranty assistance.

I find it unbelievable that Nissan will not stand behind their product, hopefully someone will develop a aftermarket 40-60kwh battery for the leaf. Personally, I would look through craigslist and get a 2013 Leaf. I saw two for 5k the other day and you could probably sell yours for 2500-3000 (with a written understanding) with a total net cost of 3k.

That sounds like an excellent price if true and the car is in good shape and not e.g. a salvage title.

Used ?
Odometer ?
What Rebates ?
Details about the car ?

19,000 Miles, there are rebates available for used cars in California and no its not salvaged. I can also expect it to last 200,000 miles, because the engine is never on and the battery has a warranty of 150,000 miles thanks to California requirements for green car pool stickers.

Hey CDub - how did your battery replacement go? What kind of range are you seeing now?

We are in a similar boat. An aging 2012 Leaf, 2 Model 3 deposits and I thought we'd lease a Bolt, but it is such a nerd/clown car in appearance in person. My wife who has dutifully driven our Leaf for 3 years and learned to love it just isn't willing to go smaller and dorkier at this point. The Leaf is ugly but doesn't look like a micro car.

So.... what to do now? Our Leaf is at 3 bars and we have a year left in the warranty. I'm considering buying it or extending the lease, but the range really sucks and its not enough for my wife day to day. We had a white knuckle drive home in the rain last week and got into turtle mode -- not cool. Started looking at CPO Model S's and new 60kwh, but they are just so expensive!

Does anyone have a prediction on if lack or supercharging will depreciate the CPO models any? I know they took in a ton of trades from people wanting to upgrade before year end. Or, any expected lease deals? I checked swapalease and the lowest leasepayment i saw was 950 and all the rest were over 100 a month for a model S. crazy.

Hope to join the club soon, but struggling with the best way to do it!

Hey CDub - how did your battery replacement go? What kind of range are you seeing now?

We are in a similar boat. An aging 2012 Leaf, 2 Model 3 deposits and I thought we'd lease a Bolt, but it is such a nerd/clown car in appearance in person. My wife who has dutifully driven our Leaf for 3 years and learned to love it just isn't willing to go smaller and dorkier at this point. The Leaf is ugly but doesn't look like a micro car.

So.... what to do now? Our Leaf is at 3 bars and we have a year left in the warranty. I'm considering buying it or extending the lease, but the range really sucks and its not enough for my wife day to day. We had a white knuckle drive home in the rain last week and got into turtle mode -- not cool. Started looking at CPO Model S's and new 60kwh, but they are just so expensive!

Does anyone have a prediction on if lack or supercharging will depreciate the CPO models any? I know they took in a ton of trades from people wanting to upgrade before year end. Or, any expected lease deals? I checked swapalease and the lowest leasepayment i saw was 950 and all the rest were over 100 a month for a model S. crazy.

Hope to join the club soon, but struggling with the best way to do it!

Have you considered buying out someones else's lease?

I find it unbelievable that Nissan will not stand behind their product, hopefully someone will develop a aftermarket 40-60kwh battery for the leaf. Personally, I would look through craigslist and get a 2013 Leaf. I saw two for 5k the other day and you could probably sell yours for 2500-3000 (with a written understanding) with a total net cost of 3k.
Yeah, that's one route I've considered to tide me over until the Model 3. Another option is to buy one still in warranty with 4 capacity bars gone, or one with enough time left on warranty that there would be no doubt of getting to 4 capacity bars gone.

Where did you see '13 LEAFs selling for $5k?

Have you considered buying out someones else's lease?

If you mean on a tesla, yes, but the lowest model S lease payment I've seen is about $950 -- the rest are well north of 1k. They are nice, but not THAT nice to me. :)

There's a HUGE hole in the market between EVs with $300ish lease payments and the Model S with $1-2k payments. Was really hoping the Bolt EV would fill that for us until m3 time, but its too nerdy looking and the front seats are somewhat uncomfortable.

If I could get into an MS for 500ish payments without a huge down I'd do it today. Plus there might help me get up the list on the M3 by being an owner instead of a non, right

any suggestions? maybe I should start a new thread as I'm starting to highjack...