Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2011 Leaf needs a new battery - CPO or repair and wait?

Which should I do?

• Repair the battery. $2,000 and get the Model 3 whenever it comes out.

Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Don't repair Leaf and wait for Model 3

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. Don't buy the Model 3.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • Trade the Leaf in. Buy a CPO P85 or 85. And trade it in to buy the Model 3.

Votes: 9 9.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the battery has a warranty of 150,000 miles thanks to California requirements for green car pool stickers.[/QUOTE]
Can you clarify with the California battery warranty-normally it's 5 yrs/60k miles but my dealer told me I have 8 yrs/100,000 miles on the battery-the Leaf was last registered in CA.

Okay! New battery is in! Just picked it up from dealer. Here's the pic of the dash at the dealer:

IMG_20170104_154046.jpg

There's no way that the range estimate is going to stay that way with the massive hill on my commute. I'll let people know how it goes. If someone tells me how to do a LeafSpy (and it's free) I can do it for you.

Here's a question... should I charge to 100% for a day or two to let it calibrate or should I immediately set the charge limit to 80%?

The battery is brand new and they said it had practically no charge in it when they installed it.

Also - as a side note - I may be too honest for my own good. When I went to pick up my car the usual guy had his day off and the cashier gave be an invoice for ZERO dollars. While I would LOVE to get the new battery for ZERO dollars and not the $2,100 I had agreed to (which was IN THE NOTES on the invoice right there) I let them know of their mistake and paid the $2,100 dollars.

I didn't want to get the employee in trouble, deal with them billing me later, or WORSE be suddenly liable for the full battery replacement cost of $6,000. I had the money set aside so no big deal. The whole experience was actually a little bit like Keystone Cops over there and no one knew anything because my guy wasn't there... even worse my guy said he'd call me this morning forgetting that he apparently has the day off but must have not told anyone to get in touch with me to pick up my car. Oh well. I have my car now. Is it any better at Tesla stores? Or is like Keystone Cops there too?

The whole experience was actually a little bit like Keystone Cops over there and no one knew anything because my guy wasn't there... even worse my guy said he'd call me this morning forgetting that he apparently has the day off but must have not told anyone to get in touch with me to pick up my car. Oh well. I have my car now. Is it any better at Tesla stores? Or is like Keystone Cops there too?
Sounds like a regular Nissan dealer. It might be the worlds best selling EV, but most US Nissan dealers only have one person who knows anything about them.

Reactions: Red Sage and cdub
Please keep us posted how the battery and range fares over time as a bunch of us also have aging Leafs we are trying to limp by wiht till M3 time.

You did the right thing and my hat's off to you sir! I'd have had an ethical dilemma given the battery faded just past warranty time.

Reactions: Red Sage and cdub
Please keep us posted how the battery and range fares over time as a bunch of us also have aging Leafs we are trying to limp by wiht till M3 time.

You did the right thing and my hat's off to you sir! I'd have had an ethical dilemma given the battery faded just past warranty time.
He started with an ethical dilemma too, and then decided not to risk getting caught. Ethics resolved :)

Reactions: Red Sage
He started with an ethical dilemma too, and then decided not to risk getting caught. Ethics resolved :)
Nah didn't even get that far. I never really thought about trying to get away with it. I'd feel horrible if the employee got in trouble for the F up. Plus I do what I agree to do... Hard stop.

As far as battery... @peakay It's a brand new battery so it's going to be the same as a new Leaf in that regard.

If you mean on a tesla, yes, but the lowest model S lease payment I've seen is about $950 -- the rest are well north of 1k. They are nice, but not THAT nice to me. :)

There's a HUGE hole in the market between EVs with $300ish lease payments and the Model S with $1-2k payments. Was really hoping the Bolt EV would fill that for us until m3 time, but its too nerdy looking and the front seats are somewhat uncomfortable.

If I could get into an MS for 500ish payments without a huge down I'd do it today. Plus there might help me get up the list on the M3 by being an owner instead of a non, right

any suggestions? maybe I should start a new thread as I'm starting to highjack...

No something much more mundane saw a one year lease on a Spark Ev for $165 the other day

Yeah, that's one route I've considered to tide me over until the Model 3. Another option is to buy one still in warranty with 4 capacity bars gone, or one with enough time left on warranty that there would be no doubt of getting to 4 capacity bars gone.

Where did you see '13 LEAFs selling for $5k?

I saw one in Sandiego but thats sold and the other was in la im not sure if it sold. Just keep a eye on craigslist. I would also take a look at the fiat 500e, they are dirt cheap

Last edited:
the battery has a warranty of 150,000 miles thanks to California requirements for green car pool stickers.
Can you clarify with the California battery warranty-normally it's 5 yrs/60k miles but my dealer told me I have 8 yrs/100,000 miles on the battery-the Leaf was last registered in CA.[/QUOTE]

It's only for Hybrids. CARB should adopt the same policy for EV's with a 150K warranty and at least 70% desegregation at that point. Inorder for EV's to get carpool stickers

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
If you mean on a tesla, yes, but the lowest model S lease payment I've seen is about $950 -- the rest are well north of 1k. They are nice, but not THAT nice to me. :)

There's a HUGE hole in the market between EVs with $300ish lease payments and the Model S with $1-2k payments. Was really hoping the Bolt EV would fill that for us until m3 time, but its too nerdy looking and the front seats are somewhat uncomfortable.

If I could get into an MS for 500ish payments without a huge down I'd do it today. Plus there might help me get up the list on the M3 by being an owner instead of a non, right

any suggestions? maybe I should start a new thread as I'm starting to highjack...

I believe Volt to be a great least bargain as it would be below 300 monthly with nothing down. I'm leasing a Volt now with the plan to replace it with the M3.

My 80% when I start my commute is now 70 miles with the new battery... (although that number is probably BS) but for reference that's almost double my FULL charge estimate on my old battery in the morning - it was usually around 35-45.

IMG_20170106_081552.jpg

I live in the foothills above LA... so my commute is all downhill in the morning... then uphill back home.

Reactions: JoRey