Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2013 Model S needs new battery (I'm told)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need some advice... my battery on my Model S 2013 just went out last night at about 150,000 miles. They quoted a total of about $13,500 for "Battery, 90KWH, REMAN, SX-1102980-01". With some ancillary things (suspension adjustment, coolant, etc.) and tax, it's around $17,000. Can anybody interpret this? And is this a normal type of replacement? Is there anything I need to do to advocate for myself? I just want to be sure that if I'm pouring this much more into the car that I know I'll get some good life out of it. Any other advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!

Need some advice... my battery on my Model S 2013 just went out last night at about 150,000 miles. They quoted a total of about $13,500 for "Battery, 90KWH, REMAN, SX-1102980-01". With some ancillary things (suspension adjustment, coolant, etc.) and tax, it's around $17,000. Can anybody interpret this? And is this a normal type of replacement? Is there anything I need to do to advocate for myself? I just want to be sure that if I'm pouring this much more into the car that I know I'll get some good life out of it. Any other advice on how to approach this would be appreciated!
since you are on the west coast... the service centers around my house are extremely stubborn about putting anything other than the original pack into the car, with that said even when i asked for a pack replacement they offered a 90kw.
try putting in a request to berkeley ca service center for a 1014116-00-c, the guys there are more experienced, see what they say and maybe have them try to message closer service centers to your location to see which one can get the new battery pack installed.
my pack was installed in berkeley because the few i tried around me said absolutely no.

since you are on the west coast... the service centers around my house are extremely stubborn about putting anything other than the original pack into the car, with that said even when i asked for a pack replacement they offered a 90kw.
try putting in a request to berkeley ca service center for a 1014116-00-c, the guys there are more experienced, see what they say and maybe have them try to message closer service centers to your location to see which one can get the new battery pack installed.
my pack was installed in berkeley because the few i tried around me said absolutely no.
That sounds like you are misinterpreting. It's not about them being stubborn. You tried to demand a very specific battery for replacement. They have to refuse that, because they can't guarantee what Tesla will send them. They put in a request for a replacement battery for that car, and there are a few options, depending on what Tesla central has available in inventory. That particular service center doesn't get to decide that, so they can't make you any promises yet of what exactly they will be able to get. It's been that way for years.

Reactions: Droschke
That sounds like you are misinterpreting. It's not about them being stubborn. You tried to demand a very specific battery for replacement. They have to refuse that, because they can't guarantee what Tesla will send them. They put in a request for a replacement battery for that car, and there are a few options, depending on what Tesla central has available in inventory. That particular service center doesn't get to decide that, so they can't make you any promises yet of what exactly they will be able to get. It's been that way for years.
There's no misinterpreting anything. They told me it was impossible to install the specific battery I wanted in my car
Berkeley had 0 issues with giving me what I wanted, they just sent an invoice and i got what was on the invoice.
My overall experience with them was way better than any service center near me, I only take my car to them now.

Last edited:
That seems in line with what I paid last year to replace the batter on my 2013, though I paid a bit less. After I had the battery installed I was told they should have charged a bit more for labor (they charged me $400). I paid out of pocket. My battery replacement fund (bought Tesla stock when I bought my car) covered it nicely. I didn't need any suspension work, however.

Reactions: aerodyne
I didn't have any issues with the Fremont service center.