Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2016 P90D vs 2018 75D loaner.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my early VIN 2016 P90D Model X is in for repairs to the HVAC box and front half shafts (second time), Tesla Cleveland thankfully got me a Michigan fleet vehicle as a loaner. For those of you not familiar, Michigan doesn't have it's own service center, so vehicles requiring repairs that can't be handled by the mobile Rangers are shipped via flatbed trailer to the closest Tesla service center. For me that's in Cleveland OH, about 180 miles away. I've received a loaner for the three times I've had to have this done in the past, with the last time a Hertz car rental (RWD Jaguar) which was pretty horrible in the snow. The Cleveland service center has always been prompt with the exchange and excellent with providing timely updates to the process. It's always a pain when something goes wrong, but Cleveland has always been great.
Thankfully this time, they dropped off a 2018 75D Model X with about 1100 miles on the odo. It has a similar configuration to mine, with the winter and tow package. I don't keep abreast of all the latest changes, but this one has AP2. I didn't see navigate on autopilot and I don't know if it's because it hasn't been pushed to the Model X or if it's because this isn't HW 2.5+ or whatever, but I did see the release note for TeslaCam.
Having this loaner affords me the opportunity to compare how far the Model X development has come in the short two years since I purchased mine. I'm the kind of person to keep a vehicle for its full life so it's kind of mind boggling how quickly things have changed.

Exterior
Besides the AP2 cameras, no other changes are super obvious. Build quality is on par with mine, which is excellent. No issues with panel gaps or paint quality. I have the original Catalina white and the loaner is the black multicoat. There are some minor body changes in the mating surface of the Falcon Wing doors. I have some rubbing issues between the door and jamb towards the rear of the vehicle that has cause some paint to wear away. The body panel in the loaner has been reshaped with a flat landing to address this issue. The auto opening doors sound different when opening. There's a less harsh latching sound and the pusher sounds smoother, but this might be due to age differences; newer cars sound more solid. The trunk struts have a mechanical buzzing and pneumatic woosh, which it the same as mine, but I always wondered it the buzz was normal. The spoiler was fixed, which is too bad because I love my moving spoiler. I couldn't find any other exterior differences.

Interior
The front windshield is different. I always wear sunglasses with polarized lenses and it seems like Tesla changed something in the polarizing lamination, as I can see the purple and gold color of other cars front windshield, and some paints look like they have a color shifting effect as I drive by them. The double headlight glare from oncoming vehicles also wasn't apparent but I haven't had much time night driving.
I have the interior premium package on mine, which has Alcantara head and dash liners. The loaner doesn't have it on the dash, but it does have an Alcantara like material on the pilars and headliner so it looks like it's configured with the black premium package. I thought they moved away from Alcantara, so if it's different, it's very close in feel. Compared to my 2016, there's an additional wood panel on the center sliding door that mine doesn't have. The seats are non-perforated leather as the seat cooling option was removed. The falcon wing doors are operated with a push button switch, which is much better than my lever. I've read that I could switch this out.
The seat backs and sides are matte plastic compared to my shiny, which looks nice and probably wears better. The loaner is a 6 seater, compared to my 7, and they're still mounted on monopods. I can see the appeal of the 6 seater since it allows much easier access and legroom to the third row. My kids loved being able to climb back there without hopping over the seats and the rear visibility is much better without a middle headrest getting in the way. The third row seats operated the same as mine and didn't have any obvious differences. The sides of the trunk space was wider, removing the never-used rear shelf support and adding some kind of a plastic vent.

Driveability

Interestingly, the 90% charging level in the 75D was very close to my P90D at 209mi vs 213mi. The 100% charge was about 15 miles less at 220mi vs my 235mi. The 75D was quick, but noticeably slower under hard acceleration without the insane mode. the 75D just didn't have the same punch when accelerating at speed.
Coming from and being very comfortable with AP1, I was excited to try AP2. Also, being a software engineer that works on clusters, I was excited to see the differences in HMI and graphics. AP1 is great and I got what I paid for, but let me tell you, visually, it feels like low tech compared to AP2. First I'll talk about visuals, then go on to performance. IPC graphics are markedly different from AP1 to AP2. The displayed vehicle is smaller to allow for more vehicle display around the car. My AP1 can see about 6 cars in front of it in three lanes (two cars deep, 3 across. In the loaner, I experienced at least 4 cars deep in three lanes, with an impressive visual difference between passenger cars, SUVs, small trucks (box truck), and large tractor trailers. The spatial placement and identification of the surrounding vehicles was still a little buggy, often jumping around or switching types, but the actual detection of a vehicle was accurate and impressive. AP1 just displays the radar lines for blind spots and it's not obvious or attention grabbing. Having a big gray block appear on the IPC is a much better blind spot detection indicator that I wish I had. I'm jealous of the 360 detection and display of the AP2. The jittery display can be fixed in later iterations, but the actual detection appears solid.
From a driving perspective, I was disappointed I couldn't try navigate on AP. The performance of the AP2 with respect to lane placement and steering feels like it's at least on par with AP1. The additional visual provided during automatic lane changes, red lane markings if there's an obstacle, is a welcomed addition. Since this is lacking in my AP1, I sometimes don't know if an auto lane change isn't happening because of a percieved obstacle or some other mysterious reason. AP2 acceleration and deceleration is smooth, but acceleration from a stop is a bit slow (cautious?) I found myself disabling AP2 twice during my commute today because the car wasn't accelerating from a stop, as fast as the traffic in front of me. It's interesting to note the differences in lane detection between AP1 and AP2. In my AP1, lanes are detected and drawn statically. If they're visible and detected, they're shown on the cluster at a static width. I noticed the AP2 is actively drawing the lines, adjusting for lane width. Also, lane detection without line markings was much more prominent in the AP2. My AP1 will sometimes pick up the curb or road edge to use as a line marking, but AP2 did this much more often, like on my long driveway. I mention this because it highlights the power of Tesla's camera heavy approach, compared to Cadillac's super cruise or AP1, providing more flexibility than both.

I questioned if I was going to make this post since there are lots of other comparison accounts already posted, but I wanted to get one point across. Even at 45k miles on my 2016 Model X, it still feels new, years beyond other manufacturers 2018 offerings. In the two years of development and refinement, this 2018 Model X 75D makes my 2016 feel old. It's not just the 2 years of wear and tear, since my car is still in excellent condition. I think the peppiness of the new center stack MCU and the features and functionality of AP2 provide the strongest feeling of improvement and make my 2016 seem just a little lacking. It's been stated that Tesla doesn't really do traditional model year refreshes so it's interesting that while most things are the same, there's enough difference sense like this is a MY18 vehicle and mine is a MY16. It's crazy to think about what Tesla will implement in the next two years.

Nice report, thanks for sharing. I remember they deleted the Alcantara trim on the dash top around the time when I ordered my car in late 2017. The demo car I drove in September 2017 still had the Alcantara dash trim and the older spec FWD lever switches. My car is an early 2018 MX 75D and it has been pretty faultless over the first 13k miles except for bugs associated with Spotify (UK car)!

Good summary thanks for sharing I’m in a similar situation my 2018 5seater 75dMX went into Tesla today for an unknown time and I got a 2017 6 seater 90D.

Mine is black on black this is white on white so it’s kinda writes driving it I feel like I’ve got a sign above me saying look at me... :)

As you say though the difference even in one year are obvious and strangely I saw the same with range difference of alwasy thought “I’d love a 100d but couldn’t afford it.” Now I’m thinking “is that all the extra you get” sure there are other benefits but for me it’s been interesting to see that the extra 15kw or 25kw if I went to 100 isn’t really that much in reality

Good summary thanks for sharing I’m in a similar situation my 2018 5seater 75dMX went into Tesla today for an unknown time and I got a 2017 6 seater 90D.

Mine is black on black this is white on white so it’s kinda writes driving it I feel like I’ve got a sign above me saying look at me... :)

As you say though the difference even in one year are obvious and strangely I saw the same with range difference of alwasy thought “I’d love a 100d but couldn’t afford it.” Now I’m thinking “is that all the extra you get” sure there are other benefits but for me it’s been interesting to see that the extra 15kw or 25kw if I went to 100 isn’t really that much in reality
I have the 90D. The amount of usable battery for charge is very similar to the 75D, it's why there were so many owners very upset about the whole thing. The 90 pack is closer in range to the 75 pack than the 100.

I've had the exact experience with my P90D compared to the new cars.

the newer cars are quieter and better put together overall with less squeaks and rattles.

my 2016 as well as yours has the adjustable rear wing and cooled seats with perforated leather.

remember our P90D's actually only have a 85KWH battery in them so that paired with Performance pack puts it about the same as the 75D.

Please note that i've had my FWD door switches replaced to the new design, front door latches and door motors replaced to the newest silent design like the new cars have, 2 sets of front half-shafts, falcon wing center section replaced and new struts as well as rear hatch struts replaced...:) 2 right rear taillights replaced and my left one now show moisture, lol.

my car is almost like the new ones except for the hardware...

the newer cars are quieter and better put together overall with less squeaks and rattles.

my 2016 as well as yours has the adjustable rear wing and cooled seats with perforated leather.

remember our P90D's actually only have a 85KWH battery in them so that paired with Performance pack puts it about the same as the 75D.

Please note that i've had my FWD door switches replaced to the new design, front door latches and door motors replaced to the newest silent design like the new cars have, 2 sets of front half-shafts, falcon wing center section replaced and new struts as well as rear hatch struts replaced...:) 2 right rear taillights replaced and my left one now show moisture, lol.

Nice to hear a similar experience. You're on your way to a modern ship of Theseus there!

A few more observations from my commute home. Confirmed that there was no duplicate headlights from oncoming traffic, so that's nice to look forward to when I eventually have to replace my windshield. Two odd changes I noticed in the interior. The lane assist in my 2016 vibrates from what feels like the wheels, left and right independent. This provides feedback to which side of the vehicle I'm crossing over the line on, and feels very much like driving over rumble strips. The 2018 is much lighter in the steering wheel. While noticeable, doesn't provide as strong an indication. Second, in the 2018, navigation voice prompts are played over the music without any change in audio balance. My 2016 nav voice prompts place more exclusively through the drivers speakers and cuts music from those. It's a little more difficult to hear the voice prompts in the 2018, especially over talk radio since it all muddles together. I don't have a premium sound package and I couldn't find the subwoofer in the 2018 so can't confirm if it has premium sound or not. Still, an odd change.

Did you check the setting? Remember there are 3 levels of power steering, so could be set differently to your own car. Could also be the tyres if they are different.

Yes. When I received the vehicle, it was set in sport steering and I could feel the difference in the wheel resistance. I usually drive in normal. I was commenting on how the lane assistance rumbling felt like it's coming from the steering wheel and it felt light a lighter vibration than the rumble in my 2016.

Either Tesla reads these forums or it's a crazy coincidence, but I got a call this morning requesting if I could swap the black 6 seater with a 5 seater. Since I'm only hauling around my kids, I had no issues with it. They switched the vehicles out at my place of work, so now I'm driving a brand new 2018 silver 5 seater 75D Model X with about 2100 miles on it. The thing is, this one has navigate on AP installed so now I get to try it out if it, if AP enables in the snow we're getting. Super excited to see what it's like.
The 5 seater has multi material seats and the fold down bench. I didn't have time to look at the installed packages but the interior is the black textile option with the glossy black accents. I can now say that I've driven every seating configuration!.

Yes. When I received the vehicle, it was set in sport steering and I could feel the difference in the wheel resistance. I usually drive in normal. I was commenting on how the lane assistance rumbling felt like it's coming from the steering wheel and it felt light a lighter vibration than the rumble in my 2016.

Oh I see now, I thought you meant lighter steering feel in general. Thanks for clarifying.

Did the replacement happen due to them going bad, or goodwill? I had all of mine essentially fixed right before all of the new parts and such got updated but would like to have the new silent motors and latches.

I found myself disabling AP2 twice during my commute today because the car wasn't accelerating from a stop, as fast as the traffic in front of me.

No need to disable, just press on the accelerator pedal to go faster.

I am driving an AP1 loaner instead of my AP2 MS. First time I try an AP1 car. The AP1 may have been better in the past, but I am surprised at how much behind AP2 it is now. Maybe it is this particular loaner, but the car tends to turn left at intersections without lane marking, like my AP2 car has not done in probably a year. The AP1 car tracks a lot less straight in general. I love the Speed Limit sign recognition, though. Wish my car had that.

Thanks for both write ups. We drive an early 2016 90D and we have had loaners before. I noticed that the newer ones feel more solid and are quieter (the AC still sounds like a jet engine). I have been wondering if it is worth while to upgrade, especially because of AP2.5 and the fact that there are ventilated seats again. We would take a big hit, also because we paid to have our car fully wrapped.