Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2017 Model S just got faster ?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 75 (RWD), built in 9/2017, uncorked. Last week, the navigation stopped working with an error message, and roadside service call told me to take it in to the Service Center.

Got the car back yesterday, with maps reloaded and problem fixed, and what I totally didn't expect is that the throttle mapping had changed and the car is even faster now. Not as noticeable at the super low end, but in throttle roll-on from 20MPH+ and even 50MPH+, the power has noticeably increased and it pulls much harder. I'm assuming that the electric power from the battery to motors has been increased.

Maybe this is related to the software changes in the new range extension? I don't have wifi where I park, so they may have installed the new SW update. Anyway, this is all seat of the pants, but after driving this car for 2.5 years, I was super surprised to feel it get noticeably faster after this service. Cool!

Reactions: ICUDoc
Congrats. Your car was likely built right after 15 Jun 2017 when the DU01 drive unit was introduced. If it was built much later it would have been uncorked from the factory. If it were built any earlier it wouldn't have the new drive unit so unlike the AWD wouldn't get a performance increase. Timing is everything.

There is no throttle mapping per se. What you are experiencing is the increased torque and power setting, mostly torque.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Congrats. Your car was likely built right after 15 Jun 2017 when the DU01 drive unit was introduced. If it was built much later it would have been uncorked from the factory. If it were built any earlier it wouldn't have the new drive unit so unlike the AWD wouldn't get a performance increase. Timing is everything.

There is no throttle mapping per se. What you are experiencing is the increased torque and power setting, mostly torque.

Got mine in June 2017, never had any uncorking, but I am wondering about the DU code, seems familiar somehow, how do i check mine?

Got mine in June 2017, never had any uncorking, but I am wondering about the DU code, seems familiar somehow, how do i check mine?
Some third party apps will show codes. Really unlikely a car was delivered in Norway with the new drive unit in June. Tesla didn't start installing the new small rear unit DU00 at the factory until June 14th 2017. I assume the large DU01 was the same or later.

Last edited:

Of course there is throttle mapping. the vehicle's software takes throttle position as an input, and maps it using software settings and configuration, to power flow in many complex drivetrain components (battery, electric motor, inverter, etc etc). Based on that mapping, the vehicle's performance, including torque which you mentioned, is affected.

My original car was delivered in June 2017. There was an issue with the car and Tesla replaced it, with the exact same specs and my current vehicle was built in July or August and delivered in September 2017. The replacement came with the more powerful motor and "uncorked" from the factory, and was noticeably quicker than the previous one. I don't believe any of the pre-Jun 15 2017 RWD vehicles were ever uncorked; don't know whether that's even possible. The AWD ones were.

What I described in the OP is the (factory uncorked) vehicle picking up additional power in 2020.

I don't think of it as a "map" because it looks something like "set torque to max torque times percent of throttle position", or something like that, where max_torque is is the only part of the "map" that changes. But I see your point. And yes this is a simplification because the car later transitions to a percent of not just max_power but of the total available power which at higher RPMs is below max power.

Anyway, it would be great to get an API recording of a performance run. Then we would know if Tesla recently increased the max torque on the RWD.

I have a 2017 June 30 build RWD and just updated to 2020.8.2 yesterday. Have not driven it yet. I’ll take it out tomorrow. If i notice any difference I’ll send Krash an updated 0-60 run from PowerTools and he can compare to the originals from a few years ago.